Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
Naw aquemini got 5 mics from day one. That's why I don't understand this "nobody thought outkast was hot back in the day" argument. This was when the source was still credible and the way most of us got our hiphop news before the Internet started poppin. So if the source gave it 5 mics hiphop heads all over where checking for the album.

OK lemme clarify myself and attempt to paint a picture...

Kast were like (trying to think of one of these new rappers of which i'm not too familiar) Big Krit. Maybe this Kendrick guy is a better example. Krit and Kendrick basically get acclaim and props, but they aren't mentioned in the same manner as a Ross or Jay-z, even though they MAY make better music.

Now if sales weren't fukked up as they are now, those two, Krit and Lamar would still go platinum. But they wouldn't receive the props of Jay-Z.

Kast were like my Jacksonville Jaguars when they were good...Chris Bierman on espn used to give the jags props but he had this thing where he would do the "yeaahhhhh but...it's the jags". Like he just couldn't give them props.

If the internet was poppin then how it is now, the Kast would have been internet darlings!

So yeah the Source gave them whatever mics...but on a street level...they just weren't what nikkas was checkin for after southernplayalistic. Their style switched too much.

Yeah their album was acclaimed and selling, but their disc was almost that token hip hop disc, nikkas who didn't like hip hop had.

:king:

That's where I'm trying to go...just like we have cac's who have a token rap album...Kast were that token hip hop album for trap headz and nikkas who don't like hip hop.

As a matter fact...thinking back I personally know mad street nikkas who don't fukk with lyrical stuff, but they used to would cop that Kast JUST BECAUSE.

Tried to sum it up best I could...

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
youre rewriting histroy on the sly. i see what youre trying to do.:myman:

there was nothing holding outkast back. the gangsta attitude was never requirement. this idea that it was "gangsta rap or die" was revisionist in itself. everybody had a lane, and outkast wasnt even the biggest in theirs.

and they were never shackled by east coast bias. their music had major backpack appeal. the magazines were behind them from the start. hence, the reason they tried to give them 5 mics upon release, despite the fact that albums like doggystyle(the epitiomy of gangsta rap) werent even getting 4 1/2 mics.....and then they went back and gave 5 to aquemini which wasnt remotely a classic in any way, shape or form.

Naw bruh...there was a lot holding Kast back.

Like I just said, they didn't have the hip hop crowd 100 because of regional bias (at least in the 90's until the walls were torn down) AND they didn't have the 100% love of the Dirty South because they were on something that wasn't the biz down here.

They were lyrical (think back to the.............................I think it was Ghetto Mafia or Pastor Troy who commented on the Kast and why they weren't ATL heroes. The person stated something to the affect of they don't represent how we really are down here and everybody doesn't have the vocabulary they do :facepalm:) and not strictly about trappin or snappin.

No everyone did not have their lane. Why you think they tried to turn Hammer among others? You had to be viewed as thugged out (unless you were all the way candy) or you weren't getting a release date for the most part. Or rather you weren't moving any units. Very few exceptions...

They were getting love in the mags and on tv...............................but truth of the matter is.................................a lot of that love was coming from hip hop heads from other regions and CAC'S!

Outkast were that "yeaahhh but..." group. We brought their album and gave them props, but they were just too out there, too different from what we wanted.

We wanted continuations of southernplayalistic...

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
OK lemme clarify myself and attempt to paint a picture...

Kast were like (trying to think of one of these new rappers of which i'm not too familiar) Big Krit. Maybe this Kendrick guy is a better example. Krit and Kendrick basically get acclaim and props, but they aren't mentioned in the same manner as a Ross or Jay-z, even though they MAY make better music.

Now if sales weren't fukked up as they are now, those two, Krit and Lamar would still go platinum. But they wouldn't receive the props of Jay-Z.

Kast were like my Jacksonville Jaguars when they were good...Chris Bierman on espn used to give the jags props but he had this thing where he would do the "yeaahhhhh but...it's the jags". Like he just couldn't give them props.

If the internet was poppin then how it is now, the Kast would have been internet darlings!

So yeah the Source gave them whatever mics...but on a street level...they just weren't what nikkas was checkin for after southernplayalistic. Their style switched too much.

Yeah their album was acclaimed and selling, but their disc was almost that token hip hop disc, nikkas who didn't like hip hop had.

:king:

That's where I'm trying to go...just like we have cac's who have a token rap album...Kast were that token hip hop album for trap headz and nikkas who don't like hip hop.

As a matter fact...thinking back I personally know mad street nikkas who don't fukk with lyrical stuff, but they used to would cop that Kast JUST BECAUSE.

Tried to sum it up best I could...

I really dont get what your trying to say. At one point you compare them to kendrick lamar and big krit. Dudes who are now respected by the so called "real hip hop crowd". Then you say people who liked outkast where not really into hiphop. Then you say street dudes weren't checking for them. Then you say street dudes were coping their albums anyway. :wtf: maybe I'm missing something but what you said contradicts, what you said

From my experiences outkast was loved by most people that were into lyrics and so called "real" hip hop. It was the street dudes who didn't embrace them cause of the weird clothes and concepts, and the lack of guns and drugs in their music.

director_of_bands

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
qc NC
OK is definitely dope BUT....

I can hardly listen to Southerplayalistic... Organized went totally ballistic on it but Dre and Big Boi sound exactly like what they were at that time: two young uneducated cats just learning how to rhyme.
I literally turn Get Up Get Out OFF after Cee-Lo's verse everytime. Kast both sounded like some bum a** n****s on they Auntie's couch on that one, which to me is inexcusable. It's like they made no effort to address the topic.

Later Dre started sounding better becuase he STOPPED USING PAPER. I don't know this for a fact, I can just hear it in his bars. That "watching ceiling fans go round tryna catch that feeling" line was born while that n**** was literally watching a ceiling fan go round. I know it. That loosened up his flow and got him out of Boi's shadow, but it left him a rambling mess at times. I don't know what the hell Rosa Parks is supposed to be about and that's the problem I have with them overall: they seem to be just vibing in the stu coming up with hooks and bars, but just all shook up in a bag and thrown out on the boards.

I guess Dre found his home as a singer, but to call Kast a group during the Love Below period is something of a misnomer. Technically they were, I guess, but stylewise they were in such different places they had to make separate albums. Wack.

Dre and Big Boi were basically two incredibly lucky young cats who were able to ride the hell out of their opportunity. Props for that, but they hardly seem to have any sort of point or even coherent theme.

Dre's outfits kinda sum up their aesthetic. Interesting but unfocussed.

(I know most "fans" of rap can't be bothered to actually analyze the lyrics, so if that's you just say "I don't listen to the words" and KIM.)

You gots to be joking - please name a youngin from this era (other than kendrick) whose rhymes can compete with what Kast was doin at their age...please pay attention to 3000 on this track from almost 20 yrs. ago: Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
in wacky d's defense , i am a real head. kast are some c00ns. im tired of hearing 3000 in top 10 arguments. outkasts last real album dropped 12 years ago in 2000. yet people wanna use that pop bullshyt to add 10 million in sales to their name and act like noone notices as if that helped their opinion whatsoever. TWO THOUSAND.other groups in contention with kast have dropped many albums since then shytting on them

outkasts legacy is soft rappers like BOB. masta p's impact on the south > outkast and i would NEVER even try and listen a masta p album. 4 3 2 1 was enough

The problem with your logic is, by 2000 they had dropped 4 rap albums....none of which were remotely similar to BOB....and at least 1 of them ("Aquemini") is widely considered a classic.

I hated "The Love Below" but what people fail to understand is, you can't retroactively re-write history. Outkast was already firmly cemented in hip-hop history before they "sold out", "fell off", or whatever other buzz words people like to use.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
OK is definitely dope BUT....

I can hardly listen to Southerplayalistic... Organized went totally ballistic on it but Dre and Big Boi sound exactly like what they were at that time: two young uneducated cats just learning how to rhyme

I literally turn Get Up Get Out OFF after Cee-Lo's verse everytime. Kast both sounded like some bum a** n****s on they Auntie's couch on that one, which to me is inexcusable. It's like they made no effort to address the topic.

Later Dre started sounding better becuase he STOPPED USING PAPER. I don't know this for a fact, I can just hear it in his bars. That "watching ceiling fans go round tryna catch that feeling" line was born while that n**** was literally watching a ceiling fan go round. I know it. That loosened up his flow and got him out of Boi's shadow, but it left him a rambling mess at times. I don't know what the hell Rosa Parks is supposed to be about and that's the problem I have with them overall: they seem to be just vibing in the stu coming up with hooks and bars, but just all shook up in a bag and thrown out on the boards.

I guess Dre found his home as a singer, but to call Kast a group during the Love Below period is something of a misnomer. Technically they were, I guess, but stylewise they were in such different places they had to make separate albums. Wack.

Dre and Big Boi were basically two incredibly lucky young cats who were able to ride the hell out of their opportunity. Props for that, but they hardly seem to have any sort of point or even coherent theme.

Dre's outfits kinda sum up their aesthetic. Interesting but unfocussed.

(I know most "fans" of rap can't be bothered to actually analyze the lyrics, so if that's you just say "I don't listen to the words" and KIM.)

You're insane. I don't even know where to begin honestly.

First off, Andre was perfectly on topic on "Get Up, Get Out". Big Boi, lesser.

And they sounded like they were just leaning to rhyme? What the fukk?

Hell, the whole album. They absolutely killed it. I gotta ask, have you even heard this album?

Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
i dont have a "taste". i listen to everything hip-hop thats at least competent.

You have Preferences though about what you're feeling more and less. Putting the Hot Boys over Gangstarr is fine but it tells me that we probably ain't gonna agree on a lot of things when we talk about quality hip hop. No disrespect meant here, everyone has "tastes" otherwise they wouldn't have an opinion any damned thing.

Whitty Hutton

these posters are TRASH
Daps
Reppin
retired
But the last statement is the real issue because all I see there is "I'M A REAL HIP-HOP HEAD AND YOU'RE NOT". When I know far more "real hip-hop heads" that think OutKast is the shyt. They may not be your cup of tea, that's all fine and good, but to say they aren't at least a consideration for the GOAT group is just outlandish. And as I said, I'm not even a huge Outkast fan. But I know their place in the game.

that's all it boils down to
:pacspit: :troll: