Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
OK is definitely dope BUT....

I can hardly listen to Southerplayalistic... Organized went totally ballistic on it but Dre and Big Boi sound exactly like what they were at that time: two young uneducated cats just learning how to rhyme.

I literally turn Get Up Get Out OFF after Cee-Lo's verse everytime. Kast both sounded like some bum a** n****s on they Auntie's couch on that one, which to me is inexcusable. It's like they made no effort to address the topic.

Later Dre started sounding better becuase he STOPPED USING PAPER. I don't know this for a fact, I can just hear it in his bars. That "watching ceiling fans go round tryna catch that feeling" line was born while that n**** was literally watching a ceiling fan go round. I know it. That loosened up his flow and got him out of Boi's shadow, but it left him a rambling mess at times. I don't know what the hell Rosa Parks is supposed to be about and that's the problem I have with them overall: they seem to be just vibing in the stu coming up with hooks and bars, but just all shook up in a bag and thrown out on the boards.

I guess Dre found his home as a singer, but to call Kast a group during the Love Below period is something of a misnomer. Technically they were, I guess, but stylewise they were in such different places they had to make separate albums. Wack.

Dre and Big Boi were basically two incredibly lucky young cats who were able to ride the hell out of their opportunity. Props for that, but they hardly seem to have any sort of point or even coherent theme.

Dre's outfits kinda sum up their aesthetic. Interesting but unfocussed.

(I know most "fans" of rap can't be bothered to actually analyze the lyrics, so if that's you just say "I don't listen to the words" and KIM.)

Daps
youre the one in here mis-representing. are you really gonna sit here and act like outkast was a big deal in philly?:comeon:

btw, arent you the same dude that was proudly c00nin it up on sohh?:leon:

You're misrepresenting....I was just pointing out they got played right aside other shyt and fit right in as dope hip hop artists :manny:

If I was ever called a c00n on sooh, then :yeshrug:, it was probably because I was calling out black folks for doing ****** shyt or some other sad shyt :manny:

you, on the other hand, fukk trannys, you nasty fakkit motherfukker. Ole "I wonder if her dikk is bigger than mine" fakkit.

How you gonna be an old school krs real hip hop type cornball, and chase trannys on the side like "well, her titties are kinda big, maybe none of my friends will notice" type shyt?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
OK is definitely dope BUT....

I can hardly listen to Southerplayalistic... Organized went totally ballistic on it but Dre and Big Boi sound exactly like what they were at that time: two young uneducated cats just learning how to rhyme.

I literally turn Get Up Get Out OFF after Cee-Lo's verse everytime. Kast both sounded like some bum a** n****s on they Auntie's couch on that one, which to me is inexcusable. It's like they made no effort to address the topic.

Later Dre started sounding better becuase he STOPPED USING PAPER. I don't know this for a fact, I can just hear it in his bars. That "watching ceiling fans go round tryna catch that feeling" line was born while that n**** was literally watching a ceiling fan go round. I know it. That loosened up his flow and got him out of Boi's shadow, but it left him a rambling mess at times. I don't know what the hell Rosa Parks is supposed to be about and that's the problem I have with them overall: they seem to be just vibing in the stu coming up with hooks and bars, but just all shook up in a bag and thrown out on the boards.

I guess Dre found his home as a singer, but to call Kast a group during the Love Below period is something of a misnomer. Technically they were, I guess, but stylewise they were in such different places they had to make separate albums. Wack.

Dre and Big Boi were basically two incredibly lucky young cats who were able to ride the hell out of their opportunity. Props for that, but they hardly seem to have any sort of point or even coherent theme.

Dre's outfits kinda sum up their aesthetic. Interesting but unfocussed.

(I know most "fans" of rap can't be bothered to actually analyze the lyrics, so if that's you just say "I don't listen to the words" and KIM.)

Naw mayne, dre has gone on record to say he doesn't freestyle at all, he says he can't.

And :childplease: at the bolded, one of outkast greatest strengths is their attention to detail and cohesive concepts. Each one of their albums has an overall prevailing theme and message.

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
What TS saying is partially true.

Not for the reasons he imply however

There has been revision, but only to correct error. In a way similar to how The Chronic was given 5 mics.

Kast were victims of two biases: they weren't eastcoast AND they weren't "gangsta" as we preferred for that era. THAT'S why kast could possibly be/been considered B list rappers.

In their height, the gangsta attitude was a requirement, and the kast were about much more. So even down south the perception were, "Yeah kast cool...but I can't rock wit them like that".

Now that MOST of our minds have grown, we revision and give them the props they deserve.

/thread

P.S. And don't forget the eastcoast bias which gave many the attitude, "If they not from NY, I don't care how good they are I will NEVER rate those bamas above our eastcoast legends".

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

There has been revision, but only to correct error. In a way similar to how The Chronic was given 5 mics

Kast were victims of two biases: they weren't eastcoast AND they weren't "gangsta" as we preferred for that era. THAT'S why kast could possibly be/been considered B list rappers.

In their height, the gangsta attitude was a requirement, and the kast were about much more. So even down south the perception were, "Yeah kast cool...but I can't rock wit them like that".

Now that MOST of our minds have grown, we revision and give them the props they deserve.

/thread

P.S. And don't forget the eastcoast bias which gave many the attitude, "If they not from NY, I don't care how good they are I will NEVER rate those bamas above our eastcoast legends".

Naw aquemini got 5 mics from day one. That's why I don't understand this "nobody thought outkast was hot back in the day" argument. This was when the source was still credible and the way most of us got our hiphop news before the Internet started poppin. So if the source gave it 5 mics hiphop heads all over where checking for the album.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Naw mayne, dre has gone on record to say he doesn't freestyle at all, he says he can't.

And :childplease: at the bolded, one of outkast greatest strengths is their attention to detail and cohesive concepts. Each one of their albums has an overall prevailing theme and message.

No not freestyling. "Writing" without paper. It's still composing beforehand, it just doesn't get frozen on the page. You are forced to memorize it cause there's no paper to read from, so it tends to flow better, and you end up saying it 1443 times so the kinks tend to get worked out. (Biggie, JZ, Wayne all say they do this and I do this too)

Do go on, though:

First of all: explain Rosa Parks to me.

After that's out of the way, lay out Kast's overall theme period, then feel free to zero in on the theme for any of the particular albums.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

There has been revision, but only to correct error. In a way similar to how The Chronic was given 5 mics.

/thread

youre rewriting histroy on the sly. i see what youre trying to do.:myman:

there was nothing holding outkast back. the gangsta attitude was never requirement. this idea that it was "gangsta rap or die" was revisionist in itself. everybody had a lane, and outkast wasnt even the biggest in theirs.

and they were never shackled by east coast bias. their music had major backpack appeal. the magazines were behind them from the start. hence, the reason they tried to give them 5 mics upon release, despite the fact that albums like doggystyle(the epitiomy of gangsta rap) werent even getting 4 1/2 mics.....and then they went back and gave 5 to aquemini which wasnt remotely a classic in any way, shape or form.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
and they were never shackled by east coast bias. their music had major backpack appeal. the magazines were behind them from the start. hence, the reason they tried to give them 5 mics upon release, despite the fact that albums like doggystyle(the epitiomy of gangsta rap) werent even getting 4 1/2 mics.....and then they went back and gave 5 to aquemini which wasnt remotely a classic in any way, shape or form.

Aquemini got 5 off top. Oct '98 issue.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
^nah. the 1st statement you bolded was referencing SPCM.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
^nah. the 1st statement you bolded was referencing SPCM.

1st statement I bolded, I was gonna reply to that too...

They got 4.5... there was never a move to give them the 5. Interesting sidenote though: Benzino didn't wanna them to get the 4.5, but at the time he didn't have the power to do much about it. He tried to influence the staff to lower the rating and they refused. He threw a fit about it and started demanding that when RSO's shyt got reviewed that they BETTER get a high rating. One of the incidents that led to their key writers and one of the founders walking out later that year...

And yes, Aquemini got 5 mics off-top.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Do go on.

First of all: explain Rosa Parks to me.

After that's out of the way, lay out Kast's overall theme period, then feel free to zero in on the theme for any of the particular albums.

Rosa parks is a celebration of the sacrifices our ancestors made to provide us with a chance to assimilate into society, and in outkasts case, to make music and provide a living for their families all while having fun doing it.

Outkast overall theme has always been two dudes different from the norm thriving in a society that frowns on people for being different.

Southernplayalistic was just two dudes on that downs south pimp shyt introducing themselves and the south to the masses.

Atliens was a response to all the hip hop naysayers who refused to give them their props as mc's. So they made a conscious effort to show their lyrical prowess and to prove "nikkas from the south can rhyme" that's why the album was called Atl aliens because at the time two dudes from Atlanta where usually a rare occurrence or alien to the hiphop community.

With aquemini they had proven their skill, so they set out to show their uniqueness. They melded rap music with all of their musical influences and their eccentric personalities to make an album that showed who "they" were instead of trying to please the rap world.

Stakonia was an extension of aquemini, and was made to show that all of the bafoonery in the industry means nothing if the music had no substance. That's why most the songs and skits SOUNDED like some of the other stuff in the radio but all the songs had substance and a message. Around the time of stankonia came out dre said he was dressing so "crazy" because that's what rap music had turned into, an empty incohesive mess.

By the time spekerbox/love below came out dre said he was no longer inspired by rap, and he had been listening to allot of r&b and alternative music. Big boi still wanted to make traditional rap music so they came with the double album.

Idlewild was a movie soundtrack :yeshrug:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
youre rewriting histroy on the sly. i see what youre trying to do.:myman:

there was nothing holding outkast back. the gangsta attitude was never requirement. this idea that it was "gangsta rap or die" was revisionist in itself. everybody had a lane, and outkast wasnt even the biggest in theirs.

You are the one rewriting history, if the source was giving them 4.5 and 5 mics at the time of them releasing their albums, then they were respected and some of the biggest hiphop artists of there time PERIOD, not just in their lane.

Not too many albums got 5 mics, if an album got 5 mics nikkas was instantly checking for it fan or not. You can say YOU don't like it but if the source gave it five mics before 2002 it is a "classic" album, this doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the album(although most people agree it was a good-great album) itself but the overall impact it made on the rap world.

infamous003

The New Style
Daps
im not discrediting anybody. just putting things in their proper perspective.

theres plenty of people i dont like. i dont like krs-one. i dont like biggie. i dont like scarface. i dont like melle mel. but theres a reason why you dont see me making threads like this about them.

albeit, i think scarface and biggie are overrated but their situations arent on the outrageous scale like this outkast chit.

i hold plenty of unpopular opinions. this isnt one.

im not lying about "real heads". you just arent exposed to such.

But the last statement is the real issue because all I see there is "I'M A REAL HIP-HOP HEAD AND YOU'RE NOT". When I know far more "real hip-hop heads" that think OutKast is the shyt. They may not be your cup of tea, that's all fine and good, but to say they aren't at least a consideration for the GOAT group is just outlandish. And as I said, I'm not even a huge Outkast fan. But I know their place in the game.