Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
didnt they get booed out of the source awards? just because a magazine loves you, it doesnt mean that the people love you.

I didn't say just because a magazine loves you, all of the people love you. I said if the source gave you 5 mics people took notice, and respected you.

Name an album that got 5 mics in the source but didn't go down in history as classic?

Daps
no d*ck.

ive been watching you post on here for a minute now. you dont know chit period. and im familiar with the poster that i gave props too.

I'm glad you think I don't know 'chit'. Because I'd hate to have the same perception of the rap game, as you do.

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
The problem with your logic is, by 2000 they had dropped 4 rap albums....none of which were remotely similar to BOB....and at least 1 of them ("Aquemini") is widely considered a classic.

I hated "The Love Below" but what people fail to understand is, you can't retroactively re-write history. Outkast was already firmly cemented in hip-hop history before they "sold out", "fell off", or whatever other buzz words people like to use.

Fred.
There's actually nothing wrong with my logic. I didn't say BOB sounded like kast, I'm showing the talent THEY influenced. BOB loves claiming outkast. Point blank the dudes who claim for kast being their idols are rappers I can't seem to give burn...

When their last real album was out, so was a lot of other great hip hop. In my neighborhood stankonia didn't rank outkast anywhere. By stankonia outkast was a pop group in my eyes, confirmed by the next album. PLENTY of groups all have one bonafide classic in there catalogs

Mobb deep
Public Enemy
A tribe called quest
De la soul
Wu tang
Nwa
Geto boys
Gangstarr

I aint giving kast NO props for being the pop version of these crews. Kast/south fans gotta give up that victimized shyt. From day one they were critical darlings on a major label with a major movement behind em. Outkast are the precursors to this pop rap shyt. That's all the influence I give them.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
There's actually nothing wrong with my logic. I didn't say BOB sounded like kast, I'm showing the talent THEY influenced. BOB loves claiming outkast. Point blank the dudes who claim for kast being their idols are rappers I can't seem to give burn...

When their last real album was out, so was a lot of other great hip hop. In my neighborhood stankonia didn't rank outkast anywhere. By stankonia outkast was a pop group in my eyes, confirmed by the next album. PLENTY of groups all have one bonafide classic in there catalogs

Mobb deep
Public Enemy
A tribe called quest
De la soul
Wu tang
Nwa
Geto boys
Gangstarr

I aint giving kast NO props for being the pop version of these crews. Kast/south fans gotta give up that victimized shyt. From day one they were critical darlings on a major label with a major movement behind em. Outkast are the precursors to this pop rap shyt. That's all the influence I give them.

Naw man you gettin it all wrong. Plenty of people have been influenced by outkast that are not considerd popish rappers. Kanye, lupe, big krit,lil Wayne,field mob, luda, eminem and the list goes on. Stankonia was in NO WAY a pop album, some of the beats were different but they where very much rapping all over that album. How could an album wit "gangsta shyt" be pop.

In my opinion Speakerbox/love below was not pop either for sure Big Boi's half was all rap, but I'd call andre's half more r&b/alternative because although the music was light hearted he did touch on some real subjects, it was still substantive music.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
It boggles my mind how he can make this thread OVER and OVER gain and still get a response!!???

this is only the 2nd thread i made about them. i must stay on your mind alot for you to think otherwise. it sounds to me like what youre really boggling are deez nuts. same with the dikkheads that dapped you up for that dumb chit.

Outkast overall theme has always been two dudes different from the norm thriving in a society that frowns on people for being different.

Southernplayalistic was just two dudes on that downs south pimp shyt introducing themselves and the south to the masses.

Idlewild was a movie soundtrack :yeshrug:

i wish you dudes would just come out and admit that their overall theme is the reason why you overyhype them so much.

outkast DID NOT introduce the south to the masses. it was already done years prior. here we go again, giving them credit for stuff that they didnt even do. REVISIONIST HISTORY.

lol @ the excuse for idlewild that yall always use.

You are the one rewriting history, if the source was giving them 4.5 and 5 mics at the time of them releasing their albums, then they were respected and some of the biggest hiphop artists of there time PERIOD, not just in their lane.

Not too many albums got 5 mics, if an album got 5 mics nikkas was instantly checking for it fan or not. You can say YOU don't like it but if the source gave it five mics before 2002 it is a "classic" album, this doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the album(although most people agree it was a good-great album) itself but the overall impact it made on the rap world.

gotta luv how the internet contingent continues to sip the kool-aid when it comes to lame magazine ratings after all these years.:ahh:

Wacky How is Aquemini not a classic? Where the WACK tracks except for Mamacita?

that album is just okay.

not even their 2nd best effort. yall just hyping it up because the source told yall to.

Wacky, who are your goats?

lol. is that geno auriemma in your avi?:skip:

what do you mean? my top 5? 10?

Naw bruh...there was a lot holding Kast back.

Like I just said, they didn't have the hip hop crowd 100 because of regional bias (at least in the 90's until the walls were torn down) AND they didn't have the 100% love of the Dirty South because they were on something that wasn't the biz down here.

They were lyrical (think back to the.............................I think it was Ghetto Mafia or Pastor Troy who commented on the Kast and why they weren't ATL heroes. The person stated something to the affect of they don't represent how we really are down here and everybody doesn't have the vocabulary they do :facepalm:) and not strictly about trappin or snappin.

No everyone did not have their lane. Why you think they tried to turn Hammer among others? You had to be viewed as thugged out (unless you were all the way candy) or you weren't getting a release date for the most part. Or rather you weren't moving any units. Very few exceptions...

They were getting love in the mags and on tv...............................but truth of the matter is.................................a lot of that love was coming from hip hop heads from other regions and CAC'S!

Outkast were that "yeaahhh but..." group. We brought their album and gave them props, but they were just too out there, too different from what we wanted.

We wanted continuations of southernplayalistic...

i dont understand you. 1st you say one thing. then you say the other. you went on about how they were ignored because they were from the south, then you turn around and say they didnt get luv in the south but they got luv in other regions.:wtf:

anyway, outkast didnt really have to deal with that much regional bias. they were moreso backpackish stylistically. they basically rode the wave of other groups; particularly souls of mischief, mixed in with arrested development's wave which was perfect for the laface MACHINE that they had behind them. there werent nearly as many barriers for outkast to hurdle as yall are insinuating.

i remember reading the ghetto mafia quote and i understand what theyre getting at, but i think they were trying to downplay kast on the slick. i know for a fact that atlanta was proud as hell of outkast.

YES there were plenty of lanes. the idea that hip-hop was nothing but gangsta rap in the mid-90s is revisionist.

hammer had to change his image because he became one of the biggest laughing stocks in hip-hop when he went pop. and he didnt become a gangsta rapper. outkast's videos were harder than hammer's. dancing around in a g-string is not thug.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Wacky

Who introduced lyrical raps from the south to the masses?

Name an album that got 5 mics in the source before 2000 that didn't go down in history as a classic album.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Mobb deep
Public Enemy
A tribe called quest
De la soul
Wu tang
Nwa
Geto boys
Gangstarr

The bolded killed your whole argument. It doesn't matter what was poppin in your hood or amongst your circle of friends. You do realize there's an entire world out there, right?

:wtf: at "Stankonia" being a pop album. What's pop about it? It sounds like literally nothing else that was out at the time, so what fanbase were they crossing over to?

And no, plenty of rap groups don't have 1 classic. 99.99% of rap groups have zero classics....the list you just posted is the cream of the crop....like I said regardless of what happened post 2000, they had 4 100% rap albums prior to that, one of which is heralded as a classic. The fact that you're mentioning those groups as some kinda yardstick for Outkast, proves my point better than I ever could've.

Fred.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Rosa parks is a celebration of the sacrifices our ancestors made to provide us with a chance to assimilate into society, and in outkasts case, to make music and provide a living for their families all while having fun doing it.

You are projecting some kind of theme onto this record my friend.

Here are the lyrics. They do not have a thing to do with the chorus nor does each verse relate to the other in any deliberate way.

"Move to the back of the bus" is the OPPOSITE of what Rosa Parks got shine for and ultimately the opposite of what Civil Rights stood for. I have written what feels like billions of bars and trust me: Dre was blunted. Made up the hook (cause "hush" "fuss" "bus" etc rhyme.. that's about it) and THEN said "What do we call this mish mash of words?" ... "How bout 'Rosa Parks'?. I mean we do mention seating positions on a bus and everything"

PS. Read the lyrics yourself. I can only assume you will try to connect some imaginary dots therein, but I shall fall back and let these, Kast's own words, be my closing argument:

[Verse 1:(Big Boi)]

Many a day has passed, the night has gone by
But still I find the time to put that bump off in your eye
Total chaos, for these playas, thought we was absent
We takin another route to represent the Dungeon Family
Like Great Day, me and my nikka decide to take the back way
We stabbing every city then we headed to that bat cave
A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya
Bull doggin hoes like them Georgetown Hoyas
Boy you sounding silly, thank my Brougham aint sittin pretty
Doing doughnuts round you suckas like then circles around titties
Damn we the committee gone burn it down
But us gone bust you in the mouth with the chorus now

[Hook]

I met a gypsy and she hipped me to some life game
To stimulate then activate the left and right brain
Said baby boy you only funky as your last cut
You focus on the past your ass'll be a has what
Thats one to live by or either that one to die to
I try to just throw it at you determine your own adventure
Andre, got to her station here's my destination
She got off the bus, the conversation lingered in my head for hours
Took a shower kinda sour cause my favorite group ain't comin with it
But I'm witcha you cause you probably goin through it anyway
But anyhow when in doubt went on out and bought it
Cause I thought it would be jammin but examine all the flawsky-wawsky
Awfully, it's sad and it's costly, but that's all she wrote
And I hope I never have to float in that boat
Up shyt creek it's weak is the last quote
That I want to hear when I'm goin down when all's said and done
And we got a new joe in town
When the record player get to skippin and slowin down
All yawl can say is them nikkas earned that crown but until then...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Naw man you gettin it all wrong. Plenty of people have been influenced by outkast that are not considerd popish rappers. Kanye, lupe, big krit,lil Wayne,field mob, luda, eminem and the list goes on. Stankonia was in NO WAY a pop album, some of the beats were different but they where very much rapping all over that album. How could an album wit "gangsta shyt" be pop.

lol. the only name you dropped that isnt poppish is field mob.:laugh:

I wish we could un-dap posts like we one-star threads. Hes def trolling with this one knowing it would do big numbers based on his last Outkast hating thread.

so in other words, you want to turn this board into more of a circus than it already is so that you can feel better about yourself? gotcha.

people that run around neggin people and 1-starring threads are the people who dont have anything to say.

You have Preferences though about what you're feeling more and less. Putting the Hot Boys over Gangstarr is fine but it tells me that we probably ain't gonna agree on a lot of things when we talk about quality hip hop. No disrespect meant here, everyone has "tastes" otherwise they wouldn't have an opinion any damned thing.

everybody has a favorite sound/style. so what? im saying that i listen to every group thats at least competent. and theres no favoritism here, if thats what youre insinuating. im actually harder on the groups that i favor, in order to insure that there is no bias in my lists.

i put hot boys over gangstarr. but i also have gangstarr rated higher than TRU. and i also have tribe rated higher than the hot boys.(albeit, if the hot boys didnt break up so early, i would most likely have them higher than tribe as well, but you get the point).

just because i put one group over another, doesnt mean im putting all groups in category A over all groups in category B. the people that are guilty of doing stuff like this are usually the types that frown upon somebody saying something like "the hot boys are better than gangstarr". not saying that you fit that category in particular, but you see what im saying aki?

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
so in other words, you want to turn this board into more of a circus than it already is so that you can feel better about yourself? gotcha.

people that run around neggin people and 1-starring threads are the people who dont have anything to say.

That's ironic that you would care about turning things into a circus and stirring up problems to 'feel good about yourself' or get attention. That is pretty much your entire MO. Other than 'nah uh'ing people and talking about what the 11 people on your block were listening to on the 3rd rainy day of spring in 1991.

People that neg others and 1 star threads are sending a message that what you are saying is stupid and doesn't even warrant a typed out response. There is a reason you get hit with 1-stars and negative reps all the time.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You are projecting some kind of theme onto this record my friend.

Here are the lyrics. They do not have a thing to do with the chorus nor does each verse relate to the other in any deliberate way.

"Move to the back of the bus" is the OPPOSITE of what Rosa Parks got shine for and ultimately the opposite of what Civil Rights stood for. I have written what feels like billions of bars and trust me: Dre was blunted. Made up the hook (cause "hush" "fuss" "bus" etc rhyme.. that's about it) and THEN said "What do we call this mish mash of words?" ... "How bout 'Rosa Parks'?. I mean we do mention seating positions on a bus and everything"

PS. Read the lyrics yourself. I can only assume you will try to connect some imaginary dots therein, but I shall fall back and let these, Kast's own words, be my closing argument:

[Verse 1:(Big Boi)]

Many a day has passed, the night has gone by
But still I find the time to put that bump off in your eye
Total chaos, for these playas, thought we was absent
We takin another route to represent the Dungeon Family
Like Great Day, me and my nikka decide to take the back way
We stabbing every city then we headed to that bat cave
A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya
Bull doggin hoes like them Georgetown Hoyas
Boy you sounding silly, thank my Brougham aint sittin pretty
Doing doughnuts round you suckas like then circles around titties
Damn we the committee gone burn it down
But us gone bust you in the mouth with the chorus now

[Hook]

I met a gypsy and she hipped me to some life game
To stimulate then activate the left and right brain
Said baby boy you only funky as your last cut
You focus on the past your ass'll be a has what
Thats one to live by or either that one to die to
I try to just throw it at you determine your own adventure
Andre, got to her station here's my destination
She got off the bus, the conversation lingered in my head for hours
Took a shower kinda sour cause my favorite group ain't comin with it
But I'm witcha you cause you probably goin through it anyway
But anyhow when in doubt went on out and bought it
Cause I thought it would be jammin but examine all the flawsky-wawsky
Awfully, it's sad and it's costly, but that's all she wrote
And I hope I never have to float in that boat
Up shyt creek it's weak is the last quote
That I want to hear when I'm goin down when all's said and done
And we got a new joe in town
When the record player get to skippin and slowin down
All yawl can say is them nikkas earned that crown but until then...

I read those lyrics and get exactly what I said. The hook says hush that fuss move to the back of the bus, which is what somebody would have told rosa parks and would be telling us if not for rosa parks. And what they are telling the listener as a metaphor saying "come to the back of the buss with us, be a part of the struggle" The lyrics (especially dres verse) explains their place in the world and Hiphop, and the struggle to keep it up and keep moving. None of this would be possible if rosa parks and others didn't fight for our rights. None of their success would be possible if they don't fight to continue to grow and make better music.

Could be up for debate but this is how they explained it and that's how i see it.