Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

Daps
Reppin
Westside Atl Perry Homes
[qu. nikka you just rambling. e="Ghost Utmost, post: 438168, member: 990"]OK is definitely dope BUT....

I can hardly listen to Southerplayalistic... Organized went totally ballistic on it but Dre and Big Boi sound exactly like what they were at that time: two young uneducated cats just learning how to rhyme.

I literally turn Get Up Get Out OFF after Cee-Lo's verse everytime. Kast both sounded like some bum a** n****s on they Auntie's couch on that one, which to me is inexcusable. It's like they made no effort to address the topic.

Later Dre started sounding better becuase he STOPPED USING PAPER. I don't know this for a fact, I can just hear it in his bars. That "watching ceiling fans go round tryna catch that feeling" line was born while that n**** was literally watching a ceiling fan go round. I know it. That loosened up his flow and got him out of Boi's shadow, but it left him a rambling mess at times. I don't know what the hell Rosa Parks is supposed to be about and that's the problem I have with them overall: they seem to be just vibing in the stu coming up with hooks and bars, but just all shook up in a bag and thrown out on the boards.

I guess Dre found his home as a singer, but to call Kast a group during the Love Below period is something of a misnomer. Technically they were, I guess, but stylewise they were in such different places they had to make separate albums. Wack.

Dre and Big Boi were basically two incredibly lucky young cats who were able to ride the hell out of their opportunity. Props for that, but they hardly seem to have any sort of point or even coherent theme.

Dre's outfits kinda sum up their aesthetic. Interesting but unfocussed.

(I know most "fans" of rap can't be bothered to actually analyze the lyrics, so if that's you just say "I don't listen to the words" and KIM.)[/quote]
Huh

Daps
Reppin
Westside Atl Perry Homes
[quote.
You are projecting some kind of theme onto this record my friend.them nikkaz went the fukk off.

Here are the lyrics. They do not have a thing to do with the chorus nor does each verse relate to the other in any deliberate way.

"Move to the back of the bus" is the OPPOSITE of what Rosa Parks got shine for and ultimately the opposite of what Civil Rights stood for. I have written what feels like billions of bars and trust me: Dre was blunted. Made up the hook (cause "hush" "fuss" "bus" etc rhyme.. that's about it) and THEN said "What do we call this mish mash of words?" ... "How bout 'Rosa Parks'?. I mean we do mention seating positions on a bus and everything"

PS. Read the lyrics yourself. I can only assume you will try to connect some imaginary dots therein, but I shall fall back and let these, Kast's own words, be my closing argument:

[Verse 1:(Big Boi)]

Many a day has passed, the night has gone by
But still I find the time to put that bump off in your eye
Total chaos, for these playas, thought we was absent
We takin another route to represent the Dungeon Family
Like Great Day, me and my nikka decide to take the back way
We stabbing every city then we headed to that bat cave
A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya
Bull doggin hoes like them Georgetown Hoyas
Boy you sounding silly, thank my Brougham aint sittin pretty
Doing doughnuts round you suckas like then circles around titties
Damn we the committee gone burn it down
But us gone bust you in the mouth with the chorus now

[Hook]

I met a gypsy and she hipped me to some life game
To stimulate then activate the left and right brain
Said baby boy you only funky as your last cut
You focus on the past your ass'll be a has what
Thats one to live by or either that one to die to
I try to just throw it at you determine your own adventure
Andre, got to her station here's my destination
She got off the bus, the conversation lingered in my head for hours
Took a shower kinda sour cause my favorite group ain't comin with it
But I'm witcha you cause you probably goin through it anyway
But anyhow when in doubt went on out and bought it
Cause I thought it would be jammin but examine all the flawsky-wawsky
Awfully, it's sad and it's costly, but that's all she wrote
And I hope I never have to float in that boat
Up shyt creek it's weak is the last quote
That I want to hear when I'm goin down when all's said and done
And we got a new joe in town
When the record player get to skippin and slowin down
All yawl can say is them nikkas earned that crown but until then...

Wacky D, post: 451063, member: 1910"]this is only the 2nd thread i made about them. i must stay on your mind alot for you to think otherwise. it sounds to me like what youre really boggling are deez nuts. same with the dikkheads that dapped you up for that dumb chit.

i wish you dudes would just come out and admit that their overall theme is the reason why you overyhype them so much.

outkast DID NOT introduce the south to the masses. it was already done years prior. here we go again, giving them credit for stuff that they didnt even do. REVISIONIST HISTORY.

lol @ the excuse for idlewild that yall always use.

gotta luv how the internet contingent continues to sip the kool-aid when it comes to lame magazine ratings after all these years.:ahh:

that album is just okay.

not even their 2nd best effort. yall just hyping it up because the source told yall to.

lol. is that geno auriemma in your avi?:skip:

what do you mean? my top 5? 10?

i dont understand you. 1st you say one thing. then you say the other. you went on about how they were ignored because they were from the south, then you turn around and say they didnt get luv in the south but they got luv in other regions.:wtf:

anyway, outkast didnt really have to deal with that much regional bias. they were moreso backpackish stylistically. they basically rode the wave of other groups; particularly souls of mischief, mixed in with arrested development's wave which was perfect for the laface MACHINE that they had behind them. there werent nearly as many barriers for outkast to hurdle as yall are insinuating.

i remember reading the ghetto mafia quote and i understand what theyre getting at, but i think they were trying to downplay kast on the slick. i know for a fact that atlanta was proud as hell of outkast.

YES there were plenty of lanes. the idea that hip-hop was nothing but gangsta rap in the mid-90s is revisionist.

hammer had to change his image because he became one of the biggest laughing stocks in hip-hop when he went pop. and he didnt become a gangsta rapper. outkast's videos were harder than hammer's. dancing around in a g-string is not thug.[/quote]
See bs
You are projecting some kind of theme onto this record my friend.

Here are the lyrics. They do not have a thing to do with the chorus nor does each verse relate to the other in any deliberate way.

"Move to the back of the bus" is the OPPOSITE of what Rosa Parks got shine for and ultimately the opposite of what Civil Rights stood for. I have written what feels like billions of bars and trust me: Dre was blunted. Made up the hook (cause "hush" "fuss" "bus" etc rhyme.. that's about it) and THEN said "What do we call this mish mash of words?" ... "How bout 'Rosa Parks'?. I mean we do mention seating positions on a bus and everything"

PS. Read the lyrics yourself. I can only assume you will try to connect some imaginary dots therein, but I shall fall back and let these, Kast's own words, be my closing argument:

[Verse 1:(Big Boi)]

Many a day has passed, the night has gone by
But still I find the time to put that bump off in your eye
Total chaos, for these playas, thought we was absent
We takin another route to represent the Dungeon Family
Like Great Day, me and my nikka decide to take the back way
We stabbing every city then we headed to that bat cave
A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya
Bull doggin hoes like them Georgetown Hoyas
Boy you sounding silly, thank my Brougham aint sittin pretty
Doing doughnuts round you suckas like then circles around titties
Damn we the committee gone burn it down
But us gone bust you in the mouth with the chorus now

[Hook]

I met a gypsy and she hipped me to some life game
To stimulate then activate the left and right brain
Said baby boy you only funky as your last cut
You focus on the past your ass'll be a has what
Thats one to live by or either that one to die to
I try to just throw it at you determine your own adventure
Andre, got to her station here's my destination
She got off the bus, the conversation lingered in my head for hours
Took a shower kinda sour cause my favorite group ain't comin with it
But I'm witcha you cause you probably goin through it anyway
But anyhow when in doubt went on out and bought it
Cause I thought it would be jammin but examine all the flawsky-wawsky
Awfully, it's sad and it's costly, but that's all she wrote
And I hope I never have to float in that boat
Up shyt creek it's weak is the last quote
That I want to hear when I'm goin down when all's said and done
And we got a new joe in town
When the record player get to skippin and slowin down
All yawl can say is them nikkas earned that crown but until then...
They went the fukk off!!!

OVOChris

Rookie
Daps
You have to recognize their impact and originality though. They are a top 3 rap group of all time behind Wu-Tang and The Roots in my opinion. I understand why people don't like them but I absolutely love their music:yeshrug:

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
They hade 6 albums all of them are multiplatinum.
And for that Speakerboxxx and love below, half of it was straight hiphop the other half experimental.
You had to pay a lot more to buy the album, so therefore double sales.

And vvv, you were the first to mention sales I replied to that, cause I couldn't understand anything else.
bullshyt. the album was ten dollars everywhere when it dropped. I remember that specifically cause kast stans were bragging about its sales when it was a ten dollar album FOR WEEKS. imagine if wutang forever was a ten dollar album instead of a $27 album.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
You have to recognize their impact and originality though. They are a top 3 rap group of all time behind Wu-Tang and The Roots in my opinion. I understand why people don't like them but I absolutely love their music:yeshrug:

What is their impact? Like if Aquemini and Atliens never came out what about hip hop would be different?

For the record I love those albums

OVOChris

Rookie
Daps
What is their impact? Like if Aquemini and Atliens never came out what about hip hop would be different?

I think what I am trying to say is that they have a huge presence in hip hop(which in essence is impact) They have platinum albums and a quadruple platinum album with Stankonia. They have more of an impact than an influence which is what I am going at. They are the first group from the south to have reached such an immense audience especially worldwide, if that's not an impact than idk what is:manny: I forgot they also have a diamond album.

OVOChris

Rookie
Daps

And whether you like it or not(in most cases I dont) sales are big part of impact. If no one is hearing you then what kind of impact is that.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

what impact?

what originality? a lot of they chit was piggy-backed off of other groups.

learn your history before you start making such claims.

Same question and logic applys to Bone and Wu as well

GTFOH.

this is the dumbest post in this thread.

man just get the f*ck outta here. seriously.

I think what I am trying to say is that they have a huge presence in hip hop(which in essence is impact) They have platinum albums and a quadruple platinum album with Stankonia. They have more of an impact than an influence which is what I am going at. They are the first group from the south to have reached such an immense audience especially worldwide, if that's not an impact than idk what is:manny: I forgot they also have a diamond album.

outkast never had a huge presence in hip-hop. they were just one of those groups that either you liked them or you didn't.

they weren't the first south group to reach an immense audience neither. not at all.

and their "diamond album" is a double cd that sold for 10 bucks.

And whether you like it or not(in most cases I dont) sales are big part of impact. If no one is hearing you then what kind of impact is that.

theres albums that prolly never went gold that had more impact on hip-hop than anything kast ever put out.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
lol @ this one dude that cant even quote people properly.

he all over the previous page, f*ckin up the rotation.

typical sloppy kast fan. prolly rockin his lunch on his shirt.

OVOChris

Rookie
Daps
what impact?

what originality? a lot of they chit was piggy-backed off of other groups.

learn your history before you start making such claims.

GTFOH.

this is the dumbest post in this thread.

man just get the f*ck outta here. seriously.

outkast never had a huge presence in hip-hop. they were just one of those groups that either you liked them or you didn't.

they weren't the first south group to reach an immense audience neither. not at all.

and their "diamond album" is a double cd that sold for 10 bucks.

theres albums that prolly never went gold that had more impact on hip-hop than anything kast ever put out.
How can you not have a big presence in hip-hop when you are selling millions of albums and are critically acclaimed and loved by fans and put in lists as most skilled rappers of all time? You can't possibly say that they aren't original and even if they took others styles they put it all into one sound and made it they're own and no one disputes that. No one sounds like them. Name me an earlier rap group from the south to reach to a fan base as big as theirs were at them time. They won Grammy's they sold platinum albums. They're platinum in Canada, I don't even think Drake is platinum in his own country. They're impact is undeniable. Even without their "diamond album"

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
How can you not have a big presence in hip-hop when you are selling millions of albums and are critically acclaimed and loved by fans and put in lists as most skilled rappers of all time? You can say that they aren't original and even if they took others styles they put it all into one sound and made it they're own and no one disputes that. No one sounds like them. Name me an earlier rap group from the south to reach to a fan base as big as theirs were at them time. They won Grammy's they sold platinum albums. They're platinum in Canada, I don't even think Drake is platinum in his own country. They're impact is undeniable. Even without their "diamond album"

lists are just industry chit. you dudes keep taking the bait.

plenty of rap artists sold millions without having a big presence in hip-hop.

as for the originality thing, they came out sounding like souls of mischief's country cousins, for starters. and @Art Barr broke down the rest a few days ago. so lets not talk in circles.

no limit records blew the south up. TRU is the run dmc of the south. they did what outkast failed miserably at doing, despite the machine they had behind them.

if you want to talk about crossover. south groups that crossed over before kast existed:
ABC
kriss kross - :ohmy:
arrested development - they won grammys and sold a chitload of albums. and everything yall brag about outkast doing is stuff that AD did immediately. they accomplished in 1 album, what took outkast an entire decade and a genre-switch to accomplish. plus they piggy-backed off a lot of the stuff that AD did, followed half of their blueprint and basically inherited their fanbase.

those 3 groups are all from Atlanta, btw.

in terms of blowing up nationally - 2 live crew was the 1st
in terms of being critically acclaimed - have you ever heard of the geto boys?
these groups were out long before outkast

kast aint do chit really. they were just a dope group that you either rocked with or you didn't. if youre a fan, then fine. but all this goat talk is laughable. I seriously look at anybody funny that gasses them up as such on here.

GoFlipAPack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:what: When Pac,BIG,Wu and all those other groups were in their prime Kast won Hip Hop album of the year at the Source awards....i know thats not the end all be all but if you go to those days in time it means alot