Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
outkast is moreso in the brand nubian, cypress hill, MOP, TRU, clipse, UGK, 8ball & MJG sector.

You don't believe that shyt yourself... because more people know who Outkast are than damn near any of those groups you named, and had a longer and more successful run than most of 'em.

So now Outkast is a mostly-regional group with a few hits huh? Because that's what you're saying when you put them in the same category as MOP, Brand Nubian, 8Ball/MJG, Clipse, and UGK. Niqqa, you ain't serious.

These shock posts gotta stop. You are killinnnnnn' me... :dead:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
^so because they had the luxury of being pushed by l.a. reid, that makes them automatically on a higher level than all these groups?

actually, i have them ahead of most of them on my list. im just saying that theyre moreso in that sector seeing that i wouldnt bat an eye if somebody had all these groups ahead of outkast.

the clipse werent regional.

brand nubian? i never took notice on whether they were regional or not, to be honest.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
^so because they had the luxury of being pushed by l.a. reid, that makes them automatically on a higher level than all these groups?

actually, i have them ahead of most of them on my list. im just saying that theyre moreso in that sector seeing that i wouldnt bat an eye if somebody had all these groups ahead of outkast.

the clipse werent regional.

brand nubian? i never took notice on whether they were regional or not, to be honest.

No bruh... them having a better run than most of those groups you named puts them on a higher level.

Not that no one's allowed to like any of those groups more, but you've taken it out of a personal opinion discussion long ago. You've flat-out said that Outkast was never a big deal... and meanwhile, their track record states otherwise. There were a lot of artists on LaFace Records that didn't do shyt, so let's not just hang it on "they got the luxury of being pushed by LA Reid". Ask some of the less successful LaFace acts how that luxury worked out for them.

It's like you got 10 years of music that speaks for itself, but you still think someone has to speak for it. A lot of people in this thread have acknowledged that at a CERTAIN POINT in their career, they weren't the top group, but they did become that. Ain't like they just had a couple cool singles but nobody really gave a shyt about 'em. That's about as wrong an opinion as it gets.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
^when i say that they werent a big deal, what i mean is that they werent a big deal in comparison to actual goat contenders.

i dont base my lists off of JUST personal opinion. i take everything into consideration, including mainstream success. otherwise, outkast would prolly be lower on my list. but when you take mainstream success into consideration, you have to keep it in its proper perspective. it sounds like you want me to make an bet/mtv/vh1 list.

im not saying that laface/arista are soley responsible for kast's success. again, if i did, then they would be ranked lower. and i wasnt comparing them to acts that failed under that umbrella. i was comparing them to the rap groups that i listed.

the thing that hurts them concerning the CERTAIN POINT in their careers where they were behind alot of groups is the fact that those were their prime years. and seeing that they were always one of the better promoted groups, they have no excuse to fall back on as to why they werent bigger than they were. they just werent THE CHIT, as my man put it. and they never were. and it really doesnt help much that they became household names moreso via the pop/r&b crowds, mostly after they fell off. you cant compare that to groups that actually became household names via the hip-hop crowd while they were actually hot in the rap world.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
the thing that hurts them concerning the CERTAIN POINT in their careers where they were behind alot of groups is the fact that those were their prime years. and seeing that they were always one of the better promoted groups, they have no excuse to fall back on as to why they werent bigger than they were. they just werent THE CHIT, as my man put it. and they never were. and it really doesnt help much that they became household names moreso via the pop/r&b crowds, mostly after they fell off. you cant compare that to groups that actually became household names via the hip-hop crowd while they were actually hot in the rap world.

You gotta remember tho', this was a time when there were lots of groups out. Lots of 'em. And this whole thread, the only ones I see being mentioned as being ahead of Outkast in the mid-90s are TWO. Two HUGE groups who sold like quadruple platinum and shyt- Wu and Bone Thugs. Which basically means that in terms of groups clearly more popular than Outkast, THAT's how big you gotta go. Ain't like they were in the realm of M.O.P., 8Ball/MJG, Goodie MOB, Roots, Alkaholiks, or even ATCQ by that time. If anyone was on the same tier as Outkast by then, it's Mobb Deep and that's about it. And on top of that, by the time they dropped the third album in '98 (which IMO solidified them), they were def. ahead of those two groups that were toppin' them in '95-'96. So fair enough, maybe they're not top 5 of all time, but top 10 ain't all that far fetched. It's not a VH1/MTV thing, it's a matter of the fact that Outkast has had its share of popularity, impact, and influence just like any other group that mattered to hip-hop, so what knocks them out of the ranks? We ain't talkin' about Crucial Conflict here...:lolbron:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You gotta remember tho', this was a time when there were lots of groups out. Lots of 'em. And this whole thread, the only ones I see being mentioned as being ahead of Outkast in the mid-90s are TWO. Two HUGE groups who sold like quadruple platinum and shyt- Wu and Bone Thugs. Which basically means that in terms of groups clearly more popular than Outkast, THAT's how big you gotta go. Ain't like they were in the realm of M.O.P., 8Ball/MJG, Goodie MOB, Roots, Alkaholiks, or even ATCQ by that time. If anyone was on the same tier as Outkast by then, it's Mobb Deep and that's about it. And on top of that, by the time they dropped the third album in '98 (which IMO solidified them), they were def. ahead of those two groups that were toppin' them in '95-'96. So fair enough, maybe they're not top 5 of all time, but top 10 ain't all that far fetched. It's not a VH1/MTV thing, it's a matter of the fact that Outkast has had its share of popularity, impact, and influence just like any other group that mattered to hip-hop, so what knocks them out of the ranks? We ain't talkin' about Crucial Conflict here...:lolbron:

yall keep trying to run with this "they passed those groups by '98" stuff, completely ignoring the fact that they didnt pass anybody. all of those groups(with the exception of mobb deep, who they really didnt pass) were either broken up or in dissarray by '98.

outkast wasnt even top 6 in the mid-90s. bone & wu were the top 2. then you had mobb deep, dogg pound, the fugees, westside connection. THEN you got to groups like outkast, lost boyz, etc.

basically, if youre not top 5 or 6, youre not a top contender.(thats a better term than "top tier") they werent contenders for the world titles. they were moreso in contention for the u.s. tag titles. if you remember those days in wcw, mr mcmahon. outkast wasnt the steiner brothers. they were more like the young pistols.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
yall keep trying to run with this "they passed those groups by '98" stuff, completely ignoring the fact that they didnt pass anybody. all of those groups(with the exception of mobb deep, who they really didnt pass) were either broken up or in dissarray by '98.

outkast wasnt even top 6 in the mid-90s. bone & wu were the top 2. then you had mobb deep, dogg pound, the fugees, westside connection. THEN you got to groups like outkast, lost boyz, etc.

basically, if youre not top 5 or 6, youre not a top contender.(thats a better term than "top tier") they werent contenders for the world titles. they were moreso in contention for the u.s. tag titles. if you remember those days in wcw, mr mcmahon. outkast wasnt the steiner brothers. they were more like the young pistols.

:damn: :dead:

Cut it out bruh...

And Westside Connection was a one-off project, that shyt doesn't even count.

And outside of the Fugees, Outkast was doin just as well as every group you named, so again... :stopitslime: You're scalin' em back more and more, meanwhile history itself says where they were and are. Again, this is a personal opinion thread.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
"they was aiight"

"they was staraight"

This is from the mouth of west coast Killa bee P Dot pop a lot. A dude who's also featured on warren Gs second album.