Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Influence goes beyond who somebody sounds like and having clones. How many groups actually sound like Run DMC? Run DMC's influence doesn't run deep because they fathered a bunch of clones, it runs deep because Run DMC is the reason a lot of rappers even picked up a mic. Their influence also runs deep because the group is a touchstone for groups that came after (hence groups being compared to them).

:mindblown:

what the heck are you talking about??

run dmc had tons of influence, as well as clones. theyre one of the most influential groups ever.

you up here talking like they were just some crossover act that people admired.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I don't even gotta do all that playboy :stop:
You can question if someone like a master p was a legend (he is) but outcast isn't this little known group that hasn't accomplished anything. They along with the dungeon family held down the South for years. Aquemini had nikkaz in a daze, if you don't know this then yes your overall knowledge on hip-hop is limited. That period of time in history you might have been too young or something? Hotness comes in waves and everyone isn't consciously hip at the same time nah mean. If I didn't have an older brother to bring me into the game, my knowledge/ understanding would have started much later than it did.

Finally, to compare artist of today vs outcast I can only say drake has become bigger :yeshrug:

dungeon family didn't really hold down the south. they were alternative rap. most of their fans outside of the south don't even like southern hip-hop.

I was in high school when aquemini dropped and my hip-hop consciousness goes back way further than some dam 1998. lol @ this narrative that youre trying to push.

anyway, aquemini was not hot in the streets at all. PLEASE stop this madness.

and I don't know what you mean by the master p thing. cuz P is more legendary than outkast. chit, hes the one that blew the south up.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal

dungeon family didn't really hold down the south. they were alternative rap. most of their fans outside of the south don't even like southern hip-hop.

I was in high school when aquemini dropped and my hip-hop consciousness goes back way further than some dam 1998. lol @ this narrative that youre trying to push.

and I don't know what you mean by the master p thing. cuz P is more legendary than outkast. chit, hes the one that blew the south up.
Where you were.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Where you were.

where everybody was

we gonna act like that isn't the biggest knock on them? especially by that point??

hell, outkast themselves are whining on that very album, about their lack of play.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
1 is some shyt you just made up. There is no way to know that and no they don't.

why would I make up something like that??
what do I possibly have to gain??

how is there no way of knowing?? are you not cognizant??

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
where everybody was

we gonna act like that isn't the biggest knock on them? especially by that point??

hell, outkast themselves are whining on that very album, about their lack of play.
Where you were. Outkast was always a factor out here. Way hotter than a bunch of shyt you mentioned here, nobody cares about illmatic like that in LA. Outkast was way bigger.

The shyt your accusing kast of being a can say about a bunch of acts you've mentioned. Illmatic the most hipster ":bryan: real hip hop " album of all time. You've mentioned wu-tang, another act who wasn't all that big a deal in LA, but it gets no more white hipster than them. Corny ass whites and Asians riding with logo decals on their honda civics and shyt, fukk outta here. If i were to apply my regional views to the whole country like you're doing, a bunch of these east coast acts would be "just there" and not legends.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1.) its their consensus best project IRL amongst the core rap audience. outkast basically tells you this on their records.

2.) youre right. I was harsh with the term "biting", because I was responding to some bullchit. MY POINT STILL STANDS THO.

3.) most of their stuff isn't exactly anything that we havnt already heard.
that explains why their production fell off so hard.

1) It isn't their consensus best album, which pretty much cancels the notion that the group wasn't critiqued. It also cancels the notion that the group was just their. People that aren't die hard Kast fans point to any of their albums that isn't Idlewild as their best. Each album brought in new listeners. Some liked the new directions, others were critical.

Kast doesn't basically say their first was their best. At most, you have Big Bo in saying SPCM needed that other half mic, because it was a classic.

3) What albums sound like ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia, and Speakerboxxx/Love Below before those albums came out?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
as I alluded to earlier, its not about being crowned the goat out the box. nobody receives such recognition from jump.

but theres a certain reception that you receive in real-time that qualifies you for goat discussions down the line.

outkast never had that. their biggest claim in real-time was being a critic's pick.

they simply don't have the resume bro.

Breh, as I said Nas was a critics pick too. Illmatic flopped out the gate at a time when Meth, Biggie, Warren G, Snoop, Wu, and a host of others had a banner year. Nas was the only one with 5 mic album and that 5 mics gave Illmatic a lasting co-sign.

OutKast's resume qualifies them for GOAT status as much as any group you could put up.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mindblown:

what the heck are you talking about??

run dmc had tons of influence, as well as clones. theyre one of the most influential groups ever.

you up here talking like they were just some crossover act that people admired.

You missed the point: Run DMC isn't influential because they fathered a bunch of clones. They are influential because

1) THEY MADE PEOPLE WANT TO RAP

2) Nearly every group that came after has been COMPARED to them. And the point of that is that Migos being compared to Kast is a testament of their influence.

3) Aren't you in here acting like Kast is some crossover group that pro poo le admired. See how that works.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Alternative rap has nothing to do with Dungeon Family not holding down The South. They definitely held it down regardless of whatever label you want to apply to them as an attempt to discredit their impact. You can't be a fan of Southern Hip Hop and not be a fan of Kast.

And yeah, making statements like Master P is more legendary than Kast and P blew up the South is a testament to your Hip Hop consciousness not pre-dating 1998. Again, P is directly responsible for Louisiana blowing up. Other cities in The South were already on by 1998 and he didn't even move South until AFTER there was a market. Memphis, TN already had Eightball & MJG who were already utilizing Pen & Pixel graphics (the same album cover designers for CMR and No Limit). Miami, FL had 2 Live Crew and a host of Bass artists. ATL had Dungeon Family and bass artists. Houston, TX had Geto Boys/Scarface. New Orleans, LA was the latest city to pop off from The South during the 90's.

Magnum P.I.M.P.

Tumultuous Splendor
Daps
Reppin
Orca's c*nt
1) It isn't their consensus best album, which pretty much cancels the notion that the group wasn't critiqued. It also cancels the notion that the group was just their. People that aren't die hard Kast fans point to any of their albums that isn't Idlewild as their best. Each album brought in new listeners. Some liked the new directions, others were critical.

Kast doesn't basically say their first was their best. At most, you have Big Bo in saying SPCM needed that other half mic, because it was a classic.

3) What albums sound like ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia, and Speakerboxxx/Love Below before those albums came out?
Lock it up.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Alternative rap has nothing to do with Dungeon Family not holding down The South. They definitely held it down regardless of whatever label you want to apply to them as an attempt to discredit their impact. You can't be a fan of Southern Hip Hop and not be a fan of Kast.

And yeah, making statements like Master P is more legendary than Kast and P blew up the South is a testament to your Hip Hop consciousness not pre-dating 1998. Again, P is directly responsible for Louisiana blowing up. Other cities in The South were already on by 1998 and he didn't even move South until AFTER there was a market. Memphis, TN already had Eightball & MJG who were already utilizing Pen & Pixel graphics (the same album cover designers for CMR and No Limit). Miami, FL had 2 Live Crew and a host of Bass artists. ATL had Dungeon Family and bass artists. Houston, TX had Geto Boys/Scarface. New Orleans, LA was the latest city to pop off from The South during the 90's.

Don't forget that Ball & G were pushed by Suave House, they got they initial cosign in Houston. To say that P blew up the South with no supporting argument is irrational...I'm with you all the way on this one...

P pioneered a new sound that was previously unheard and untapped. He's a legend for that, and I would say he is a gatekeeper of southern hip hop, he just wasn't solely responsible for it...

P and Kast have different things they are legendary for, but nobody can cosign P as being "more" influential or more of a legend...

Wacky D, where are you from, and where did you grow up?