Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Outkast was the first act (artist or group) from Atlanta that was more than a one hit wonder. The Dungeon Family sound had several musical influences, but they modernized and pushed that sound forward. The legacy of being the unit that brought national attention to Atlanta hip hop is nothing to sneeze at...

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik is definitely not they best album, who thinks that? It was a strong intro but the real gift is how they diversified they creativity in subsequent albums. From sound to subject matter, you can name a group or two that had a similar "essence" but then Big and Dre were actual lyricists too, and no other comparable style had that in one package. They were 20 years ahead of their time with a style that would look ordinary in 2015 but stood out in 1995, where part of the intrigue was their weirdness...

I'm also inclined to say if you don't think they are GOATs, your ear either needs checking or you aren't familiar with they catalog. There really is no debate that they on the GOAT list, the debate is normally centered on "where". Its unquestionable that they Top 5, and to me, they Top 2. They have a case against any other group ever, excluding nobody...

Nas has always been a little overrated. Illmatic is a classic but Nas should have more classics for the body of work he has. Illmatic not the only one of course, but people get caught in this "man he can spit" thing without properly assessing the other Mark's of greatness about an artist, they've been overeating him since the 90s...

Nas is a GOAT though, but he not nearly as high as people want him to be...

Yeah, ATL definitely had it's one hit wonders, but I'd say Arrested Development and Kriss Kross were more than one hit wonders. They just weren't acts that were looked at seriously or as ATL artists. It's one of those deals where you had to read a press release or article or word of mouth to know where they were from. Kast made it obvious from the jump.

With Nas, I think he deserves every bit of the GOAT accolades he gets. My whole point with him is, I was making the case that no one comes out the gate as a GOAT. GOAT status is something that is assessed over time.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I dunno.

define all-time great.

theyre legends, but its levels to this chit.
I don't even gotta do all that playboy :stop:
You can question if someone like a master p was a legend (he is) but outcast isn't this little known group that hasn't accomplished anything. They along with the dungeon family held down the South for years. Aquemini had nikkaz in a daze, if you don't know this then yes your overall knowledge on hip-hop is limited. That period of time in history you might have been too young or something? Hotness comes in waves and everyone isn't consciously hip at the same time nah mean. If I didn't have an older brother to bring me into the game, my knowledge/ understanding would have started much later than it did.

Finally, to compare artist of today vs outcast I can only say drake has become bigger :yeshrug:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't even gotta do all that playboy :stop:
You can question if someone like a master p was a legend (he is) but outcast isn't this little known group that hasn't accomplished anything. They along with the dungeon family held down the South for years. Aquemini had nikkaz in a daze, if you don't know this then yes your overall knowledge on hip-hop is limited. That period of time in history you might have been too young or something? Hotness comes in waves and everyone isn't consciously hip at the same time nah mean. If I didn't have an older brother to bring me into the game, my knowledge/ understanding would have started much later than it did.

Finally, to compare artist of today vs outcast I can only say drake has become bigger :yeshrug:

This.

Kast is pretty much being penalized for being heralded as GOATs to the point that ALL of their accolades are being downplayed and dismissed by the OP.

OutKast is the only Hip Hop group whose had every album be successful. And yes, it is a group that is influential. Listening to Kendrick Lamar's albums, and the influence is evident from the production to the little vocal affects he adds to his voice that recall Kast's "Synthesizer", "Aquemini", and "Red Velvet". That flag on ASAP Rocky's album cover owes a nod to Stankonia. Bobby Ray formerly known as B.O.B is Kast influenced. TDE's Isaiah Rashad pursued rapping after hearing ATLiens. KRIT, Gunna, Lil Baby, Young Thug, Migos, Rich Homie have all been compared to one or both members of Kast.

2Chainz can be added to the list as well:

OutKast was setting the bar for Atlanta, getting us out of the booty shake zone, getting us to where people could actually listen to some lyrics, show creativity, and have live instruments," stated 2 Chainz. "Goodie Mob was in the same bracket, in the same cloth, in the same blood vessel."

2 Chainz & Lil Wayne Praise Goodie Mob & OutKast (VIDEO) - AllHipHop.com

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: PS4

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Outkast was the first act (artist or group) from Atlanta that was more than a one hit wonder.

FALSE

I was about to stop reading right there, but I decided to throw you a bone.

The legacy of being the unit that brought national attention to Atlanta hip hop is nothing to sneeze at...

this is also FALSE.

I should've stoped there.

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik is definitely not they best album, who thinks that? It was a strong intro but the real gift is how they diversified they creativity in subsequent albums. From sound to subject matter, you can name a group or two that had a similar "essence" but then Big and Dre were actual lyricists too, and no other comparable style had that in one package. They were 20 years ahead of their time with a style that would look ordinary in 2015 but stood out in 1995, where part of the intrigue was their weirdness...

how did their style stand out in 1995 when they were still rapping like they were from the bay area?? whats so original about that?

THATS STRIKE THREE. I couldn't read anymore after that. stop pump-faking & rewriting history.

and yea, SPCM is generally viewed as their best album in IRL, altho their die-hard fanbase ranks it as 3rd or sometimes 4th.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Outcast is an all-time great rap group, If you feel otherwise you're not in touch with the culture...at all.

theyre really not all that important in the culture.

their legacy is greater within a certain sub-culture. and most of you guys are apart of that sub-culture.
the problem is, yall don't even realize that you are apart of it. that's how the lines get ALL THE WAY crossed.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The (I'm presuming) less than 1 star rating and >100 votes really speaks volumes to this thread's quality.

Outkast was one of the biggest hip hop acts in the latter half of the 90s. Post 1995 Source awards it was a wrap. At the turn of the millennium, Outkast was not only arguably the biggest hip hop group in the game but maybe (along with Radiohead) the most critically respected musicians on the planet. To say that Outkast's praise is due to nerds on the internet is just flat out wrong. The #s and the awards just dont agree with that.

I don't even know what the bolded means. and don't care.
get caught up with real life!!!!! that's the problem with a lot of you dudes. yall too busy living in idlewild.

they crossed over pretty well in '98-99. but if you weren't a big fan of theirs, you didn't give a f*ck, good or bad. they were just around.

those aren't goat qualities. when youre going 3, 4, & 5x platinum on 3 consecutive releases and people that don't care for your music, don't even bother to criticize it...….that says a lot about your lack of importance.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That is not a reach. Those songs are two of the biggest crossover songs in Hip Hop ever. To think that the same white folk who adore "Ms. Jackson" weren't out here copping those songs and the respective albums they were on is ludicrous.

I never said anything bad about ms Jackson.

you must have me confused with someone else.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
you been lurking around this thread since like page 1.

and still aint drop a quality post yet.
:francis: wasn't even a member when this thread is made. I just realize there's no point in arguing with you. no matter what is said your right and everybody else is wrong.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
@SoulController threatened to move the thread to the bushes.

then he hurried up & deleted that chit.

this is what im talking about with some of these mods man.

@ig88 you see this chit?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:francis: wasn't even a member when this thread is made. I just realize there's no point in arguing with you. no matter what is said your right and everybody else is wrong.

nah that's bullchit.
I ALWAYS fallback, dap, etc whenever im proven wrong.
case in point, I apologize for saying you were here since page 1. must got you confused with someone else.

but you been here for going on 5 years, you should know that's my twist by now.

youre also conveniently turning a blind eye to the fact that most of the people arguing with me are just deflecting & hurling insults.
and the ones that are at least trying to put together a good argument(to their credit), aren't doing a very good job and you can tell they don't really know their history like that. a lot of them don't even know outkast history like that, let alone hip-hop. you can tell they got into them late, and prolly got into hip-hop later as a whole as well.

but yet, youre conveniently glossing over this.
meanwhile, theres outkast fans on her, that have sided with me in this thread, cuz they know their lacking too much to be boosted to such a level. you ignored that as well.