Reasons Why Outkast Will Never Be Seen As GOAT Contenders By Most Real Heads

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
WAIT. NOW THERES MORE LIES.:why:

dudes in here talkin bout kast wouldve had a huge following on the internet if the net was big back in the day? well guess what. the internet was indeed big when outkast was in their prime. i was there and they were just another group that people liked. they didnt even have the die hard internet following that they do now. this whole outkast internet cult didnt start to develop until after speakerboxx/tlb, which is after laface/arista/the media began to go back and revise history in outkasts' favor.

and im not gonna front like im above all brainwashing. because they even worked me over a lil bit to the point where even i started to sip the kool-aid just a lil bit.

Wacky

Who introduced lyrical raps from the south to the masses?

Name an album that got 5 mics in the source before 2000 that didn't go down in history as a classic album.

aquemini. hate to break it to you but that albums really wasnt even buzzin cuzzin.

you didnt say lyrical raps at 1st. lol @ you trying to switch it up on the slick. and even then youre still wrong. scarface, big mike, jt money, etc.

all outkast really did when they came out was throw a country twist on to what souls of mischief were doing and mix it with that arrested development appeal to get the laface/arista-type r&b crowd behind them - the crowd that makes up the bulk of their black fanbase....another thing that we're going to get into later; how they were able to cut corners and get away with the fact that they never really captured the true rap crowd. thats gonna be good.

The bolded killed your whole argument. It doesn't matter what was poppin in your hood or amongst your circle of friends. You do realize there's an entire world out there, right?

:wtf: at "Stankonia" being a pop album. What's pop about it? It sounds like literally nothing else that was out at the time, so what fanbase were they crossing over to?

And no, plenty of rap groups don't have 1 classic. 99.99% of rap groups have zero classics....the list you just posted is the cream of the crop....like I said regardless of what happened post 2000, they had 4 100% rap albums prior to that, one of which is heralded as a classic. The fact that you're mentioning those groups as some kinda yardstick for Outkast, proves my point better than I ever could've.

Fred.

the point he was making is that stankonia didnt rank outkast anywhere in anybodys hood. period. and yes, it was much more relevant in the pop/office worker r&b world than it was in the rap world. it wasnt much different from SB/TLB, etc. it was not recieved as a 100% rap album.

i think stankonia tends to get somewhat of a pass from being labeled in that category because like 4 or 5 of their best songs were on that album. the problem is that aside from those and a couple other cuts, the vast majority of that album is eminem encore status.

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
I'll say this:

I don't know if any of you actually lived thru it, but I did.

When Kast first dropped, I was on the WC moving in hip hop circles. I was completely out of touch with southern hip hop for the most part because I had been versed in hip hop school and introduced to the knowledge, having just left NY.

nikkas put me on to the Kast with that "Ol shyt Dz, yall (the South) got someone representing yall now with real skill."

Kast were able to capture a lot of the west because our cultures aren't too different. It was another story on the East because EVERYONE else were seen as bamas.

So nikkas really didn't know HOW or WHERE to group Kast. They were different from they typical Southern artists. So Kast just pretty much set in the middle, even OUTCASTED from many in the South.

Of course ATL and the South will push them to the front when convenient, for instance when arguing with someone on line that nothing lyrical has come from the South.

But for the most part, Kast were that group that yeah you owned the cd, and bumped a few cuts, the ones that had some gangsta too them...but for the most part nikkas were throwing on something else.

And yeah if the net was hummin like it is now, with the way internet headz like to ride the obscure groups....Kast would have been huge.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That's ironic that you would care about turning things into a circus and stirring up problems to 'feel good about yourself' or get attention. That is pretty much your entire MO. Other than 'nah uh'ing people and talking about what the 11 people on your block were listening to on the 3rd rainy day of spring in 1991.

People that neg others and 1 star threads are sending a message that what you are saying is stupid and doesn't even warrant a typed out response. There is a reason you get hit with 1-stars and negative reps all the time.

:childplease: get a clue already.

Now in retrospect.

Back then the East coast didn't like or respect ANYONE not from the tri-state area.

If they did they wouldn't let it be known.

this is false. no offense but you people that always say stuff like this, often times have never seen any parts of the east coast.

the geto boys were WAY MORE relevant in real-time on the east coast than they are now in retrospect. most east coast geto boys fans are in that 30 & up crowd.

and to take it back further, the whole luke/2 live crew conglomerate was big. otherwise, theres no way luke would be the historical figure that he is now.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
people tend to overlook the fact that there was heat on outkast back then because their ascension to the game was very drake-like. they came out of nowhere, getting forced on the public by an r&b machine and they had no priors. their buzz was not organic at all and contrary to revisionist belief, there was alot of bigger & better things going on.

thats why benzino spazzed out when the source gave them that rating(danj, are you sure that they werent trying to give them 5?) because SPCM getting 4 1/2 mics at that time was bullchit. this was a time when albums like doggystyle was getting 4s and other all-time classics were getting even less than that.

Yep...

The Source Awards in '95 is a bad example to gauge what anyone other than an NY crowd thought about artists. They either booed or were dry for everyone that wasn't part of the East Coast scene. That was Bad Boy & Wu-Tang's night. The Death Row performance got a dry reaction (pumped up by an applause track for TV), Outkast got boos, Brat got :comeon:, Bone Thugs got crickets... most artists not from NY (including Snoop, Cube, Outkast, etc) have noted this about that show. The crowd was even booing non-NY nominees when they got announced.

bone thugs & especially death row was gettin love that night. granted, people werent jumping up & down like they did with wutang or shaking they ass like they did with bad boy. but some things tend to get overstated.

outkast was just flat-out booed. theres no way around that. and thats not the only time they got booed in new york. i mean, come on man. the 69 boyz were LITERALLY dry-humpin the stage for 5 minutes. aint nobody boo them niccas off.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
WAIT. NOW THERES MORE LIES.:why:

dudes in here talkin bout kast wouldve had a huge following on the internet if the net was big back in the day? well guess what. the internet was indeed big when outkast was in their prime. i was there and they were just another group that people liked. they didnt even have the die hard internet following that they do now. this whole outkast internet cult didnt start to develop until after speakerboxx/tlb, which is after laface/arista/the media began to go back and revise history in outkasts' favor.

and im not gonna front like im above all brainwashing. because they even worked me over a lil bit to the point where even i started to sip the kool-aid just a lil bit.

aquemini. hate to break it to you but that albums really wasnt even buzzin cuzzin.

you didnt say lyrical raps at 1st. lol @ you trying to switch it up on the slick. and even then youre still wrong. scarface, big mike, jt money, etc.

all outkast really did when they came out was throw a country twist on to what souls of mischief were doing and mix it with that arrested development appeal to get the laface/arista-type r&b crowd behind them - the crowd that makes up the bulk of their black fanbase....another thing that we're going to get into later; how they were able to cut corners and get away with the fact that they never really captured the true rap crowd. thats gonna be good.

the point he was making is that stankonia didnt rank outkast anywhere in anybodys hood. period. and yes, it was much more relevant in the pop/office worker r&b world than it was in the rap world. it wasnt much different from SB/TLB, etc. it was not recieved as a 100% rap album.

i think stankonia tends to get somewhat of a pass from being labeled in that category because like 4 or 5 of their best songs were on that album. the problem is that aside from those and a couple other cuts, the vast majority of that album is eminem encore status.

Once again you go talmbout people are rewriting the past when in fact it is you rewriting the past. Internet did exist in 98-2000 but it was nowhere near the magnitude it is now. There were no blogs, Facebook,twitter,YouTube hell blackplanet and napster hadn't even really started popin yet. People still got their hiphop news from MTV,bet, and magazines.

How could an album go multi-plat and get 5 mics in the source not be buzzin, shyts beyond logic. But anyway name another 5 mic album that is NOT classic.

And I did say lyrical in the original post I said they were out to prove "nikkas from the south can rhyme" Cause at the time the prevailing theme in hiphop was that country nikkas couldn't spit.

:laff::laff: big mike.... jt money..... lyrical..... buzzin/popular..... :comeon: you don't really believe that do you :scusthov:

And scarface is from Texas, although considered south, historically Texas has always had a very different sound from ATL or "the dirty south"

And l don't know about your hood but stankonia was buzzin in my hood, we had plenty of barbershop convos on if supreme clientele or stankonia was better, in fact I was the cd man at the time being that I was the only one in the hood with a burner and stankonia was one of my best sellers.

Whitty Hutton

these posters are TRASH
Daps
Reppin
retired
Once again you go talmbout people are rewriting the past when in fact it is you rewriting the past. Internet did exist in 98-2000 but it was nowhere near the magnitude it is now. There were no blogs, Facebook,twitter,YouTube hell blackplanet and napster hadn't even really started popin yet. People still got their hiphop news from MTV,bet, and magazines.

How could an album go multi-plat and get 5 mics in the source not be buzzin, shyts beyond logic. But anyway name another 5 mic album that is NOT classic.

And I did say lyrical in the original post I said they were out to prove "nikkas from the south can rhyme" Cause at the time the prevailing theme in hiphop was that country nikkas couldn't spit.

:laff::laff: big mike.... jt money..... lyrical..... buzzin/popular..... :comeon: you don't really believe that do you :scusthov:

And scarface is from Texas, although considered south, historically Texas has always had a very different sound from ATL or "the dirty south"

And l don't know about your hood but stankonia was buzzin in my hood, we had plenty of barbershop convos on if supreme clientele or stankonia was better, in fact I was the cd man at the time being that I was the only one in the hood with a burner and stankonia was one of my best sellers.
Nah those wasnt REAL HEADS that were buying those cd's. If Wacky D doesnt co-sign it, it's not true and something was wrong with everyone else:troll:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
As far as "Stankonia"....If people said "The Love Below", I could kinda understand.

"B.O.B." was filmed in Bowen Homes. They were literally in the hood the whole video, and this was after they'd toured the world, went multi-plat and supposedly "sold out". How many rappers would do that....how many rappers would do that, and get labeled sell outs at the same time? shyt is :wtf: status.

As I've said in the past "Stankonia" is the album that got them all their mainstream white fans....but you can't fault Outkast for that, the first single is 2 dudes rapping over drum machine production in the projects. The stars aligned and mainstream America noticed them, same as when white America latched onto Wayne when "C3" dropped.

Fred.

Black_Jesus

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
from the home of coca-cola, i'm not referring to s
only nikkas I knew on the Internet back in the 90's was in teen chat rooms, black planet, or instant messenger.. pretty much nikkas was just hollerin at bytches.. This nikka Wacky some nerd who believes he has some kinda authority or some elitist inside information on what music was really poppin and what music wasn't really poppin, even though countless people have already debunked this bullshyt thread.. This nikka cant be reasoned with.. dont waste your time trying

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I read those lyrics and get exactly what I said. The hook says hush that fuss move to the back of the bus, which is what somebody would have told rosa parks and would be telling us if not for rosa parks. And what they are telling the listener as a metaphor saying "come to the back of the buss with us, be a part of the struggle" The lyrics (especially dres verse) explains their place in the world and Hiphop, and the struggle to keep it up and keep moving. None of this would be possible if rosa parks and others didn't fight for our rights. None of their success would be possible if they don't fight to continue to grow and make better music.

Could be up for debate but this is how they explained it and that's how i see it.

I know I said I would let Kast speak for themselves and leave it at that but you bring up one very valid point that I must address:

N****s making up reasons for s*** after the fact.

B.I.G "stands for" Business Instead of Game. Got damn lie. It stands for the first part of "Biggie" and he had to change it and he made up a BS acronym after the fact.

Goodie Mob sat up and said that the hook for Cell Therapy wasn't meant to allude to them shooting the person looking in the window. They actually made up an acronym for POW which I don't remember but it was something super silly like People Overcoming Weakness or some other smart-dumb n**** s***.

DMX actually completely denied some heinous a** lyric about raping and/or killing in an interview he did from prison. The interviewer pulled out a hard copy and had him read the lyrics, then he acted like he had forgotten he even said them. I am guessing he was more sober than he'd been in years at that moment, but I can't imagine that he actually forgot his own bars from one of his albums.

Just cause OK went back and gave some interview "explaining" the "meaning" of this song means absolutely jack. In fact, why not just inject the meaning INTO the song itself so that anyone who hears it can pick up on it? Nope. They was high in the stu, made the track, got some burn, then made up a meaning for it.

Seriously. Most of these guys are like 22 when they come up with this s***. If a 22 year old told me what the weather was gonna be this afternoon I would double check him. Just cause they are on TV don't make them smart.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I know I said I would let Kast speak for themselves and leave it at that but you bring up one very valid point that I must address:

N****s making up reasons for s*** after the fact.

B.I.G "stands for" Business Instead of Game. Got damn lie. It stands for the first part of "Biggie" and he had to change it and he made up a BS acronym after the fact.

Goodie Mob sat up and said that the hook for Cell Therapy wasn't meant to allude to them shooting the person looking in the window. They actually made up an acronym for POW which I don't remember but it was something super silly like People Overcoming Weakness or some other smart-dumb n**** s***.

DMX actually completely denied some heinous a** lyric about raping and/or killing in an interview he did from prison. The interviewer pulled out a hard copy and had him read the lyrics, then he acted like he had forgotten he even said them. I am guessing he was more sober than he'd been in years at that moment, but I can't imagine that he actually forgot his own bars from one of his albums.

Just cause OK went back and gave some interview "explaining" the "meaning" of this song means absolutely jack. In fact, why not just inject the meaning INTO the song itself so that anyone who hears it can pick up on it? Nope. They was high in the stu, made the track, got some burn, then made up a meaning for it.

Seriously. Most of these guys are like 22 when they come up with this s***. If a 22 year old told me what the weather was gonna be this afternoon I would double check him. Just cause they are on TV don't make them smart.

That is your opinion but art has always been up to different interpretations. two people can experience the same Painting,Movie,Song and come up with two totally different meanings or themes. And then the artist has his own which could be totally different from what anybody thinks. I think the fact that it's up for debate makes the song a win

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
As far as "Stankonia"....If people said "The Love Below", I could kinda understand.

"B.O.B." was filmed in Bowen Homes. They were literally in the hood the whole video, and this was after they'd toured the world, went multi-plat and supposedly "sold out". How many rappers would do that....how many rappers would do that, and get labeled sell outs at the same time? shyt is :wtf: status.

As I've said in the past "Stankonia" is the album that got them all their mainstream white fans....but you can't fault Outkast for that, the first single is 2 dudes rapping over drum machine production in the projects. The stars aligned and mainstream America noticed them, same as when white America latched onto Wayne when "C3" dropped.

Fred.

lol. so? just because you film a video in the hood, it dont mean that the hood is checking for you. you know how many videos i been in where i wasnt even familiar with the artist?

and i dont know who said anything about them selling out. i think outkast doesnt really get the sellout tag because most people(myself included) just see it as outkast doing them. but regardless, hammer was considered the poster-boy for selling out and he still came back to the hood, gave back to the hood prolly more than any rapper, and :stylin: in the "same gang" video. whats your point?

homie, outkast ALWAYS had a ton of white fans. hence, the push by the source to give their debut a crazy high rating. and if youre referring to the soccer mom/black eyed peas crowd, they had already broke thru that sector when they dropped aquemini. hence, the reason the label felt comfortable having commercials for stankonia aired on national tv stations leading up to the release of the album. stankonia was geared towards the POP & desk-job r&b audiences.

so what if the internet wasnt as big as it is now. it grows every year. 5 years from now, you'll be looking back at 2012 saying the same thing. the point is, that the internet was indeed booming and so were rap forums. its not like that rapforum archive thread(great thread btw) where the internet was really exclusive. and the boom goes even further back than '98.

haha. this man just said supreme clientelle. im sorry but im gonna have to call :duck: on this one. 1st off, stop frontin. what type of street niccas is running around bumpin the stankonia album? outkast themselves werent even bangin that. then you try to throw "supreme clientele" in their random as f**k to add legitmacy to your claims. by the time stankonia came out, "supreme clientele" was already a distant memory even within the wu's biggest markets. chit was dam near a year old by then. lol.

and yes, i was a token early 2000s cd burner guy myself. made a killing all thru the city to the point where i stopped selling weed and let my job apps collect dust. thats wassup. nice to meet a fellow burner.:shaq: and yes, stankonia was an easy sell. it had ms jackson & so fresh on there. that doesnt meant that people f**ked with it tho.

only nikkas I knew on the Internet back in the 90's was in teen chat rooms, black planet, or instant messenger.. pretty much nikkas was just hollerin at bytches.. This nikka Wacky some nerd who believes he has some kinda authority or some elitist inside information on what music was really poppin and what music wasn't really poppin, even though countless people have already debunked this bullshyt thread.. This nikka cant be reasoned with.. dont waste your time trying

just because you were late to the game, it dont mean they postponed the chit.

and what are you so mad about? people were in here making up chit about how outkast wouldve been this & this if the internet was big, and i just made note of the fact that the internet was INDEED big. youre just sour because im raining on your little fantasy legacy parade. you prolly thought outkast was run dmc status or some ridiculous chit. now you cant even look at an outkast cd without thinking of my name. im like candyman to lil f*ck niccas like you.:birdman:

and to the bul that said kast WOULDVE had the "obscure" lane on deck. nah. the refugee camp had that lane on lock.

Daps
The only videos you was in was tranny porn, you fakkit tranny chasing motherfukker.

Stop trying to act like some krs type hip hop elitist authority.

Especially when you fiend for women with bigger dikks than you, you fukking fakkit.

NOONE listen to this nikka...I don't know if he's older than me, just as old, or younger...but we was playing Outkast in the 90's in Philly....they were getting spins on our stations as well.

This is just a fakkit who fukks trannys

:pacspit:

TopKat

scustttt
Daps
Reppin
London
I think they're overrated as a group and as solo musicians but I'm not saying they're shyt just seems to be recently everyone is putting 3 stacks in their top 5 n shyt. I find a lot of their group material a bit boring probably down to the fact its aged quite badly but that doesn't stop me listening to early Wu etc the whole weirdo phaze they went thru was kinda corny/not my style

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
lol. so? just because you film a video in the hood, it dont mean that the hood is checking for you. you know how many videos i been in where i wasnt even familiar with the artist?

and i dont know who said anything about them selling out. i think outkast doesnt really get the sellout tag because most people(myself included) just see it as outkast doing them. but regardless, hammer was considered the poster-boy for selling out and he still came back to the hood, gave back to the hood prolly more than any rapper, and :stylin: in the "same gang" video. whats your point?

homie, outkast ALWAYS had a ton of white fans. hence, the push by the source to give their debut a crazy high rating. and if youre referring to the soccer mom/black eyed peas crowd, they had already broke thru that sector when they dropped aquemini. hence, the reason the label felt comfortable having commercials for stankonia aired on national tv stations leading up to the release of the album. stankonia was geared towards the POP & desk-job r&b audiences.

so what if the internet wasnt as big as it is now. it grows every year. 5 years from now, you'll be looking back at 2012 saying the same thing. the point is, that the internet was indeed booming and so were rap forums. its not like that rapforum archive thread(great thread btw) where the internet was really exclusive. and the boom goes even further back than '98.

haha. this man just said supreme clientelle. im sorry but im gonna have to call :duck: on this one. 1st off, stop frontin. what type of street niccas is running around bumpin the stankonia album? outkast themselves werent even bangin that. then you try to throw "supreme clientele" in their random as f**k to add legitmacy to your claims. by the time stankonia came out, "supreme clientele" was already a distant memory even within the wu's biggest markets. chit was dam near a year old by then. lol.

and yes, i was a token early 2000s cd burner guy myself. made a killing all thru the city to the point where i stopped selling weed and let my job apps collect dust. thats wassup. nice to meet a fellow burner.:shaq: and yes, stankonia was an easy sell. it had ms jackson & so fresh on there. that doesnt meant that people f**ked with it tho.

just because you were late to the game, it dont mean they postponed the chit.

and what are you so mad about? people were in here making up chit about how outkast wouldve been this & this if the internet was big, and i just made note of the fact that the internet was INDEED big. youre just sour because im raining on your little fantasy legacy parade. you prolly thought outkast was run dmc status or some ridiculous chit. now you cant even look at an outkast cd without thinking of my name. im like candyman to lil f*ck niccas like you.:birdman:

and to the bul that said kast WOULDVE had the "obscure" lane on deck. nah. the refugee camp had that lane on lock.

I'm gone say this then I'm done cause to have to be trolling, I'm ashamed I gave you this much attention

How could people not fukk with the cd if they where buying it from you
And how you gone tell me what MY experiences where. Around my way stankonia and supreme clientele were the most talked about albums of 2000 so naturally nikkas took sides and debated it. And no the Internet was not poppin nikkas still had dial up you couldn't even do half the stuff you can on the Internet, it was not yet synonymous with pop culture as it is today, only nerds and college students where up on it. The average person couldn't even type let alone navigate the Internet.

That's it I'm done, be proud you are the first person I have ever negged and you have more than earned it, not because of your opinion, but because of your total lack of the ability have an objective intelligent conversation about your opinion.