Reasons why "Family Matters" actually sucked and didn't age well

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
As far as the thread....

If people think "Family Matters" is the best record :yeshrug: but people stopped listening to it almost immediately. So I'm kinda confused. Every Drake fan/stan claims Drake won and/or "FM" was the best but it dropped from 7 to something like 48, then 99, and now it's completely off the charts.

So the math ain't matching. Say what you want about Kendrick fans but they actually continued to support the songs they claim are better.

Fred.

Also people listen to Not Like Us outside of the context of the battle. It's just a dope beat/song. Same reason I listened to Back 2 Back a lot, months after that battle. Family Matters isn't particularly good outside of the battle context and is even worse within the battle context. It keeps aging worse when you think about all the lines that have gone up in smoke.

BTW I'm sure Drake fans are happy they get more fake Jamaican accents from the boy on a track with a proven racist who hates black people. Good way to turn the page from all this...

Mull

Pro
Daps
Just one big run-on sentence. No commas, no periods, no structure.

Prime example: third verse which is actually my favorite verse. “Maybe I’m Prince and you actually Mike”. I’m not with the clowning Mike shenanigans but he made an illustration of how Kendrick is Mike but he failed to connect how he himself is comparable to Prince.

Small detail but a microcosm of how unstructured and unprepared the song is. Just one big incomplete thought.

mikishere

#byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
man who the fukk you talking bout :dahell: name names or shut the fukk up

tired of cats like you bringing in silly shyt like this when there’s legit discussion to be had :camby:

@derro13 @Revolutionary @tehparadox @Nuuko in this thread alone

I don't think Family Matters sucked at all...it just didn't win. Kendrick crushed the impact before it got the chance to do anything, which in hindsight was genius. If Kendrick would've let FM have impact for more than a couple of days, things might've been slightly different because Drake was actually spitting on that. He just fukked up with the slave comment but outside of that it was a good diss....just got washed out by Kendrick's strategic planning.

it was definitely a dope track/reply. but it just shows the power of kendrick that he was able to make a track like that completely obsolete. even dudes attempting to make MTG irrelevant because of the daughter angle, as if the hardest part of the song wasnt the letter he wrote to drake on the last verse :picard:.

trillanova

The Truth
Daps
Even with the flaws imagine if family matters got to chill like pushups did. We talking real different right now.
I still think NLU was crushing the buildings regardless. Drake would've just had an even worse false sense of security and inflated ego that would've made the impact even more terrible.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I was just about to say this. This was the worst part of the song for me.

Like nikka you’re from the burbs of another country talking about a nikka from Compton (that never claimed a set), have some self awareness.

Second worst part

Mocking Kendrick for “trying to free the slaves” opened floodgates WIDE OPEN for Not Like Us to even exist.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
zsH82BC.jpeg