real talk: black people need to stop moving to the burbs

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm gonna look at it like this.

If my city/area is in bad shape, regardless of the ethnic group that happens to be responsible, be it fellow blacks, whites or mexicans....

If I have the power to do better for me and my family, I'm getting the fukk up outta there.

I should stay in a shytty neighborhood "for my race"?

The nikkas on the corner selling crack to my fellow negroes obviously don't give two shyts about my race. Neither do the nikkas breaking in cribs or shooting pizza guys. fukkin pizza guys.

Go head brehs. Fight the good fight. I'm gonna do me regardless.

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
living in the hood is cheap..........im all about cutting expenses...........

if i could move into the projects and pay 25-100 a month for rent i probably would......

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Transportation costs have been rising and will continue to do so in the future and those cities that are auto dependent feel that pinch when suburbanites commute to the city for work. Oil/gas is a fundamental input for a lot of goods and services so when it rises its felt in many industries. Add this along with the demographic changes, younger whites are willing to cherrypick spots in cities for redevelopment to live and commute closer to work rather than commute 30+ miles out.

Suburbs (most ones we think about with McMansions and all) were a more relatively recent invention from after world war 2 and wouldn't have been possible w/o the interstate highway, cheap gas, redlining, and socialized funding (a lot from major cities) redirected to the burbs via GI loans and other programs. Most suburbs simply shouldn't even be if it wasn't for people like William Levitt. Cities have always been going back to when humans started doing civilization to improve their lives. Screw the burbs especially the exburbs.

But a significant proportion of companies/employement centers now are located outside of the primary city now (save for banking/insurance and law for the most part), in which many "traditional" suburbs are no longer primarily bedroom communities (except exurbs, which are relative new).

Gentrification is a beast. It already happened to Harlem :snoop:

Can you fukking imagine, the center of black culture and the harlem renaissance is now populated by mothafukkin yuppies & hipsters :what:

Neighborhood change mayne.:manny:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Oh word, you chilled and SWP without being shot = It's a great place to live.:ohhh:

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Where in my statement did I say it was a great place to live? :stopitslime:

For that matter, why should it take a mass influx of white people to clean up a neighborhood. You mean to tell me no black people got enough money in this country to do some of these same gentrification projects and keep the communities more in the hands of its residents?

I'm not even sayin you wrong to leave the area to give your fam a better life, I just think it's fukked up that black folk can't even keep it at all or can't make one more push to try to clean things up and own their community. What happens when they want the suburbs back too?

Economics

There is always tradeoffs
Daps
BillBanneker=But a significant proportion of companies/employement centers now are located outside of the primary city now (save for banking/insurance and law for the most part), in which many "traditional" suburbs are no longer primarily bedroom communities (except exurbs, which are relative new).

The economic activity - (its gross output) is still greater in the city proper of major American cities (esp downtowns and midtowns) than their suburb counterparts. There are still many suburbs that rely on a major city they are surrounded by and identify with that city. Stop defending suburbs.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Ok. I live in the neighborhood I was raised in. I am the only one of all of my friends that is somewhat successful and still lives there.

Most of the hood nikkas that I grew up with have all left or are incarcerated. The problem is that the young kids without guidance are the ones tearing the place up without respect for people's property.

I will agree with your statement regarding ignorance and it being in the majority in the hood. I would also like to point out that those same nikkas, are followers by nature. So if they see a few persons who live in the neighborhood trying to improve it, I believe they may follow suit.

My theory may be a bit naive and ambitious for the most part but I do believe it could happen once upward mobile blacks stop running and start building.

I've been in my neighborhood 30 plus years and have never been robbed or mugged. Why, because they know who to target. You won't harm someone who is helping the image of your community would you?

It really all depends on where you live, what you define as "the hood" and the temperment of the others around there.

For example, some neighborhoods are poor, but they dont have alot of crime. They may have a little crime and a few local drug dealers or wild nikkas, but even these dudes have some respect for older people. And alot of them won't rob certain people.

Some other areas, dudes have zero regard for anything at all. I was watching this docu on South Central and these dudes rolled up on a 12 year old girl and blasted on her while she was getting an ice cream bar. Nobody knew why other than she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Those are the dudes I'm talking about mostly.

I think it starts early on in teaching kids so they dont grow up to be like that.....and I know it's not popular to say, but rap music plays a role in this. Because it describes their life somewhat, albeit in an extreme manner, it's close enough to their reality that they let it be the soundtrack for their life. It sets the perfect background for these dudes when they do this dumb stuff. They're certainly not riding around listening to Miles Davis or Bach all day.

I listened to rap all my life, but I didnt grow up in the hood the whole time, so I knew how to separate it as just being entertainment. sort of like how white people listen to rap. They dont let it chaneg the way they dress, talk, live their life, etc.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Where in my statement did I say it was a great place to live? :stopitslime:

For that matter, why should it take a mass influx of white people to clean up a neighborhood. You mean to tell me no black people got enough money in this country to do some of these same gentrification projects and keep the communities more in the hands of its residents?

I'm not even sayin you wrong to leave the area to give your fam a better life, I just think it's fukked up that black folk can't even keep it at all or can't make one more push to try to clean things up and own their community. What happens when they want the suburbs back too?

what major metro are white people cleaning up? because philly, baltimore, dc, detroit are still on the downside.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Threads like is are the reason why i be thinking 95% SOHH/Coli posters are white/lying. Keep your ass in the inner city breh. We dont want you in the burbs

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prices in the major cities are going way up and the longtime residents are getting replaced with yuppie transplants and culture stealing hipsters as a way to diversify the tax base. Honestly though, I plan on moving to Southeast DC on some re-gentrification shyt and since I live in Fort Washington now I'll at least have the audience necessary for a re-gentrification project. Cuz it'll be a fukkin tragedy to see Ward 7-8 lost to this process, imagine if MLK Blvd and Malcolm X Ave become as white as the U Street Corridor? :smh:

DC is whiteting by the decade in 2020 it will be only 45 percent black, yet people taking shots at John Goodman and are :snooze: at the reailty. DC, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Phila, these cities our SUPPOSED to be ours yet we running just like white people did 60 years ago. :dry: When black people get money they never put it back into the community and this is just another example...

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Transportation costs have been rising and will continue to do so in the future and those cities that are auto dependent feel that pinch when suburbanites commute to the city for work. Oil/gas is a fundamental input for a lot of goods and services so when it rises its felt in many industries. Add this along with the demographic changes, younger whites are willing to cherrypick spots in cities for redevelopment to live and commute closer to work rather than commute 30+ miles out.

Suburbs (most ones we think about with McMansions and all) were a more relatively recent invention from after world war 2 and wouldn't have been possible w/o the interstate highway, cheap gas, redlining, and socialized funding (a lot from major cities) redirected to the burbs via GI loans and other programs. Most suburbs simply shouldn't even be if it wasn't for people like William Levitt. Cities have always been going back to when humans started doing civilization to improve their lives. Screw the burbs especially the exburbs.
Pos rep just because you mentioned Bill Levitt. Him and Bob Moses are responsible for some of the worst urban planning disasters in the NYC area.

SirSmokeCrackAlot

Senior Crackhead
Daps
Threads like is are the reason why i be thinking 95% SOHH/Coli posters are white/lying. Keep your ass in the inner city breh. We dont want you in the burbs

It seems to go hand-in-hand with posts like this:

these guys on dirtbikes and atv's are a real nuisance in philly.

i've seen them 40+ deep before on broad street, shyt's crazy and dangerous

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Says who?

Sh!t Chinese people don't even live in Chinatown anymore. Things change...

Great Migration Breh. Those were the magnets for black from the south. Now that black move to the burbs (or Atlanta :beli:) the white folks move in and reclaim the city. nikkas pissing on our history and then complain so and so took over the hood. What did you expect when you moved out.