real talk: black people need to stop moving to the burbs

Lil' Kartwheel

The Chicken Box Man
Daps
Reppin
The Bayou City
So true and the price of these Midtown apartments/condos are ridiculous. It's crazy the difference driving around the corner can make though when one is in Midtown.
Aside from the Breakfast Klub, Midtown ain't even poppin' like that. It's a good spot if you work near downtown or the Med center. Prices are ridiculously high though.

Then again, it's even worse in gay ass Montrose.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
:comeon:

You guys sound like those CNN/CSPAN panels with all the black "leaders" of today who tell everyone what they need to do...but of course nothing ever gets done.

Problem with ur statement is nikkas, specifically, hood nikkas. You can't improve someone who doesnt want to improve or more importantly have the mindset to improve. You're talking foreign to a hood nikka. Like a Chinese person speaking Chinese to you.

Yeah a hood cat might wanna be a baller or a hustler, "get money". But he has no intent of doign anything further outside of buy a nice car or smoking weed/drinking and continuing whatever illegal activity he attained it by.

Responsible black folks trying to go in and change stuff as the minority will almost always be overrode by majority ignorance.

i dont agree with that. we're talkin about somethin that aint a easy task at all... i cant happen overnight just cuz a couple folk move back, its a generational problem. that hood nikka might be a lost cause but his kids stand more of a chance than he ever did if its more people around for theme to look up to. we need some kinda ideology/movement to get that goin though... lookin back, i think we dropped the ball with obama. all we did was get excited, vote, celebrate, and go back to our regular lives... that was our best chance in a long time to get somethin goin.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
like Detroit?

:shaq2:

I dunno much about the history of the D but where I am from, gentrification is on the rise due to a few things:

New shopping centers and transportation hub nearby

College campus less than a mile away.

Young people my age leave the neighborhood and live in already gentrified areas like Harlem, Ft Greene and Williamsburg. The parents sell the homes and move to retirement places while the kids pay sky high rents in gentrified neighborhoods. White people, whose families probably sold to the black families are moving back in at some affordable prices in comparison to their debt/income

DalMem

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember being in Harlem back in 2006.

There was a line of white people waiting to get into the Apollo theater. :ohhh:

Also, I saw Paul Mooney on 125th and he couldn't get a taxi. :skip:

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
:comeon:

You guys sound like those CNN/CSPAN panels with all the black "leaders" of today who tell everyone what they need to do...but of course nothing ever gets done.

Problem with ur statement is nikkas, specifically, hood nikkas. You can't improve someone who doesnt want to improve or more importantly have the mindset to improve. You're talking foreign to a hood nikka. Like a Chinese person speaking Chinese to you.

Yeah a hood cat might wanna be a baller or a hustler, "get money". But he has no intent of doign anything further outside of buy a nice car or smoking weed/drinking and continuing whatever illegal activity he attained it by.

Responsible black folks trying to go in and change stuff as the minority will almost always be overrode by majority ignorance.

Ok. I live in the neighborhood I was raised in. I am the only one of all of my friends that is somewhat successful and still lives there.

Most of the hood nikkas that I grew up with have all left or are incarcerated. The problem is that the young kids without guidance are the ones tearing the place up without respect for people's property.

I will agree with your statement regarding ignorance and it being in the majority in the hood. I would also like to point out that those same nikkas, are followers by nature. So if they see a few persons who live in the neighborhood trying to improve it, I believe they may follow suit.

My theory may be a bit naive and ambitious for the most part but I do believe it could happen once upward mobile blacks stop running and start building.

I've been in my neighborhood 30 plus years and have never been robbed or mugged. Why, because they know who to target. You won't harm someone who is helping the image of your community would you?

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
But what made the baller and street hustler the most prevelant and adored member of the inner city? Because the people that were tryna clean up the hood and make it a better place either ended up dead, in jail, or on the run. Make no mistake, the effects we're seeing today are a part of a chain reaction going all the way back to the Civil Right era. You think if the CVL's or the Panthers were able to carry out their programs that the predominantly black areas in our major cities would be falling prey to Gentrification today.

It's just so convienient to blame it on nikkaz not wanting better. nikkaz been fightin for that for the longest, hell even before desegregation just look up the story of Greenwood in Tulsa, OK or the BWS, or look at how Woodlawn was cleaned up thanks to Bobby Gore and the CVLs. Each time, they faced the wrath of cac aggression and institutional racism. That's what makes the gentrification so sick to me, the fact that blacks had tried and were stopped from improving their own lives and communities.

it was a lack of people to make a change, but the sports and music industry harped on that void and made it what it is now. baseball was the most popular sport for black people for over a century and you'd damn near never realize that now cuz it literally changed over night... the nfl and nba SEEKIN out black players at such a ridiculous rate changed our whole perception of reality. the baller and the street hustler are the only ones adored cuz they're high profile and "they're the only ones that made it", and so that becomes our only identity... just look at whats happenin samoans and football, its the same shyt over. the only way to change it is to bring people in that PROVE there's more options

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But what made the baller and street hustler the most prevelant and adored member of the inner city? Because the people that were tryna clean up the hood and make it a better place either ended up dead, in jail, or on the run. Make no mistake, the effects we're seeing today are a part of a chain reaction going all the way back to the Civil Right era. You think if the CVL's or the Panthers were able to carry out their programs that the predominantly black areas in our major cities would be falling prey to Gentrification today.

It's just so convienient to blame it on nikkaz not wanting better. nikkaz been fightin for that for the longest, hell even before desegregation just look up the story of Greenwood in Tulsa, OK or the BWS, or look at how Woodlawn was cleaned up thanks to Bobby Gore and the CVLs. Each time, they faced the wrath of cac aggression and institutional racism. That's what makes the gentrification so sick to me, the fact that blacks had tried and were stopped from improving their own lives and communities.

Because you know that's exactly what it is.

Shoutout to the suburbs.

SMH @ wanting nikkas to stay in West or Southwest philly. Nikka fukk you. No pizza guys got shot in my neighborhood.:jawalrus:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Because you know that's exactly what it is.

Shoutout to the suburbs.

SMH @ wanting nikkas to stay in West or Southwest philly. Nikka fukk you. No pizza guys got shot in my neighborhood.:jawalrus:

I kicked it in the SWP with Yay's folks, never got shot once. Shoutout to Chester Pizza dat shyt crack. I'm over here blaming causes while your too stuck on the effects, which is exactly the type of response they'd like to see. :rudy:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I kicked it in the SWP with Yay's folks, never got shot once. Shoutout to Chester Pizza dat shyt crack. I'm over here blaming causes while your too stuck on the effects, which is exactly the type of response they'd like to see. :rudy:

Oh word, you chilled and SWP without being shot = It's a great place to live.:ohhh:

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
white people move out, nikkas pay top dollar to move in........

nikkas move out, white people get the cribs dirt cheap.....

the city, in an attempt to cater to its white occupants, now starts to "revitalize" the city, ease up on certain restrictions the whites (at large) deem unfair/unacceptable and basically make the city into the place it should have been a long time ago........

now nikkas want back in

white people move out, nikkas pay top dollar to move in.......

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
I'm on the borderline of the city & suburbs so in reality it doesn't effect me much