READY TO LIVE: The "Ready To Die" 20th Anniversary Thread

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Cats where giving Illmatic 5 mics and RTD 4.5 so its anything but revisionist to say it was better. Both had their place in history as commercial and underground achievements that helped push NY back in the era so I dont know why people cant enjoy both unless they got limited a taste
Badboy brought NY back period

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Badboy brought NY back period

In terms of one label on the charts yeah, but it was a collective effort not just on the charts but credible acts on the underground bringing music for the heads like Nas, Wu-Tang, Boot Camp, Mobb Deep, Onyx, Redman etc etc
Anytime in rap there is a region blowing up, its a collective effort no matter how people wanna gloss it

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Cats where giving Illmatic 5 mics and RTD 4.5 so its anything but revisionist to say it was better. Both had their place in history as commercial and underground achievements that helped push NY back in the era so I dont know why people cant enjoy both unless they got limited a taste

I specifically remember hearing Miss Info when she was on Hot97 say that she was pressured into giving RTD 4.5 mics because of the higher ups & Illmatic. She also said she regretted doing that. I'll post it if I find that.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I specifically remember hearing Miss Info when she was on Hot97 say that she was pressured into giving RTD 4.5 mics because of the higher ups & Illmatic. She also said she regretted doing that. I'll post it if I find that.

I heard this too.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
In terms of one label on the charts yeah, but it was a collective effort not just on the charts but credible acts on the underground bringing music for the heads like Nas, Wu-Tang, Boot Camp, Mobb Deep, Onyx, Redman etc etc
Anytime in rap there is a region blowing up, its a collective effort no matter how people wanna gloss it
This is true,but someone had to be the head and that was badboy hands down.
Biggest stars in Wu tang were Meth and ODB.
Meth's biggest star making record was with a puff daddy created artist named Mary J
ODB's biggest moment was a puff daddy produced Fantasy remix with Mariah.
Remove Badboy and the east doesnt come back to the top.
Jay-z blew up by intertwining with their camp. Nas abandoned his illmatic formula on his next project sounding a lot more bad boyish.
Dmx was on mase album,lox album too. I mean it's pretty clear that puffy's brain brought them back.
:sas2:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Was she trying to give it more or less?

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
This also shows they kinda felt guilty for giving illmatic 5 mics :sas1:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I've heard Info talk about Illmatic and the debate about whether or not to give that 5 mics but never Ready to Die. Ready to Die in some respect was an album who's impact was going to be felt later to many. Because it wasnt as pure a product there was a chance people would have dimissed the commerical records but it was tribute to BIG that he handled it as well as he did

Last edited:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
I mean when I look at gimme the loot. The dual characters and pulling it off so well providing a very entertaining story full of humor just done so masterfully. Everyday story. Me and my bytch juicy big poppa one more chance things done changed respect friend of mine unbelievable. Man this album is dope in every possible way

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
This is true,but someone had to be the head and that was badboy hands down.
Biggest stars in Wu tang were Meth and ODB.
Meth's biggest star making record was with a puff daddy created artist named Mary J
ODB's biggest moment was a puff daddy produced Fantasy remix with Mariah.
Remove Badboy and the east doesnt come back to the top.
Jay-z blew up by intertwining with their camp. Nas abandoned his illmatic formula on his next project sounding a lot more bad boyish.
Dmx was on mase album,lox album too. I mean it's pretty clear that puffy's brain brought them back.
:sas2:

And Biggie said numerous times Illmatic inspired him when making Ready to Die and that he wanted to make it "Illmatic on Steroids" :sas1:

The very fact you even brought up Illmatic when this post was all about Ready to Die speaks volumes how it yet again continues to be the benchmark for a classic friend :smugfavre:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
And Biggie said numerous times Illmatic inspired him when making Ready to Die and that he wanted to make it "Illmatic on Steroids" :sas1:

The very fact you even brought up Illmatic when this post was all about Ready to Die speaks volumes how it yet again continues to be the benchmark for a classic friend :smugfavre:
That was nice of him but RTD was more influenced by heavy d (the flow),the west coast (obvious samples on the singles) 2pac "rap for the bytches" (also,more straight to the point lyrics vs monkey flip em rhymes)