Rate This City: Day 27 - San Diego

Rate: San Diego

• Total voters

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Depends on where you are in the city honestly. The southeast end where I grew up is were most of the black population (AA) is/lives.

And we do have are own cultural centers (world beat center, the Malcolm X library, and the AA World History museum just to name a few)in the area. We have MLK day parades, celebrate Juneteenth, etc. We also have a Somali and Ethiopian communities around but they are mostly on the East side of the county.

Yea we are only 6% of the population (its really more like 8-10%)here but that doesn’t mean anything really. Just gotta know the right people :yeshrug:
At one time I felt that same. Our shyt was small but close knit and I loved it(me and my wife were just talking today about Malcolm X library today). But man you can’t tell me in 2019 our cultural footprint in the city hasn’t declined like no other the last 20 years, hell more then that if we’re being honest. Southeast ain’t what it used to be as far as Black folks are concerned. Instead of having majority neighborhoods we just have pockets within them that may hold a majority, and all of that is East of 47th st. You not finding anything majority Black anymore over in the Coast, Southcrest, off Market st, etc.

I’ve known so many people who’ve either left(me included) or plan on leaving. Them 2020 census numbers bout to be even more sobering than the 2010 ones. The only thing somewhat stabilizing it is the military and even that’s not what it used to be. Back in the day military folks settled in the community, did 20 and stayed. Most of the ones I known over the years now moved back home(usually down south) where they can get more out of their retirement.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Depends on where you are in the city honestly. The southeast end where I grew up is were most of the black population (AA) is/lives.

And we do have are own cultural centers (world beat center, the Malcolm X library, and the AA World History museum just to name a few)in the area. We have MLK day parades, celebrate Juneteenth, etc. We also have a Somali and Ethiopian communities around but they are mostly on the East side of the county.

Yea we are only 6% of the population (its really more like 8-10%)here but that doesn’t mean anything really. Just gotta know the right people :yeshrug:

10% percent black ppl sounds horrible tbh bruh...i didnt know it was that low.

by the way it sounds, it looks like its a west coast version of pittsburgh with better weather and beachs :hhh:

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
You speaking for all Black people?

I speaking for black people that visit cities and want to experience our culture there. shyt doesn't exist in San Diego. I can do good food and beaches elsewhere so San Diego has nothing to offer me.

Dawg if it depends on where you are at in the city then the city isn't diverse. And someone visiting the city isn't going to be staying in the SE end. None of that shyt you mentioned came up as tourist attractions when I searched so that tells me no one visits those because there ain't no black people to visit them. This thread is while to me and let's me know I can't take these threads serious. San Diego is the most nondiverse city I've ever been to. Not to mention it's expensive as fukk like most of Cali. Even my boy that stays out there was like :hubie: don't move here breh.

Dave7

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Self Divine, Equality Knowledge Born
At one time I felt that same. Our shyt was small but close knit and I loved it(me and my wife were just talking today about Malcolm X library today). But man you can’t tell me in 2019 our cultural footprint in the city hasn’t declined like no other the last 20 years, hell more then that if we’re being honest. Southeast ain’t what it used to be as far as Black folks are concerned. Instead of having majority neighborhoods we just have pockets within them that may hold a majority, and all of that is East of 47th st. You not finding anything majority Black anymore over in the Coast, Southcrest, off Market st, etc.

I’ve known so many people who’ve either left(me included) or plan on leaving. Them 2020 census numbers bout to be even more sobering than the 2010 ones. The only thing somewhat stabilizing it is the military and even that’s not what it used to be. Back in the day military folks settled in the community, did 20 and stayed. Most of the ones I known over the years now moved back home(usually down south) where they can get more out of their retirement.

I won’t lie & say it’s the same as it was because it isn’t, but it was said that there was nothing here for black people which isn’t true.

Yea southeast is a lot different than it was but that is a better or worse situation. I grew up in Skyline, have family in Lincoln Park, so I’ve seen the changes, some good, some bad. I feel like whenever any neighborhood that’s majority black in the country is going through the same things, I’m pretty sure brehs in LA say the same thing about Compton, Long Beach, etc. Same thing different day

Dave7

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Self Divine, Equality Knowledge Born
I speaking for black people that visit cities and want to experience our culture there. shyt doesn't exist in San Diego. I can do good food and beaches elsewhere so San Diego has nothing to offer me.

Dawg if it depends on where you are at in the city then the city isn't diverse. And someone visiting the city isn't going to be staying in the SE end. None of that shyt you mentioned came up as tourist attractions when I searched so that tells me no one visits those because there ain't no black people to visit them. This thread is while to me and let's me know I can't take these threads serious. San Diego is the most nondiverse city I've ever been to. Not to mention it's expensive as fukk like most of Cali. Even my boy that stays out there was like :hubie: don't move here breh.

Look, I was asked my opinion. I’m from here and grew up here. If people don’t care for it it’s cool, I’m just answering the questions and debunking the non-facts.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Never been to San Diego, but always heard good things about it. My dad used to circle with some cats there back in the '80s and fly coke back to Sacramento on planes from SD. I guess back in those days baggage check was a lot less lax, and SD always been a port for drugs, and they were packing shyt up and flying it back to the city...

So he has good things to say about SD...

I've known a couple people from around there, and I always thought they were cool but a little odd. Had a homegirl in Virginia Beach, her and her boyfriend are from SD 40s and they were strange. Also knew a cat in NC years back from one of the Piru gangs out in Daygo, got knocked out and stripped beefing with cats in NC. He was a loudmouth too, he was eight with me but never heard nothing from dude again after that, not a good look if you didnt know many people from SD...

It has a reputation as a great place to live, in VB I knew several groups of people who weren't "from" Daygo, but had lived there st some point due to the military (the Navy shuffles a ton of people back and forth between VB and SD). Not the chick I mentioned above, she was really from SD, but I knew other people who had lived there before...

And like another poster mentioned, yes, I did know a couple who preferred VB to SD. Everybody don't like the same shyt....they didn't have bad things to say about SD, they just preferred Virginia...

I've never had a real inclination to go. They don't have a real rep on the road, you meet cats on the road from Cali but very rarely do you hear SD cats really doing it big like other Cali cats...

But Nick Cannon from there and I'm a fan, and one of my favorite songs bout 5½-6 years ago was Killas In The Set by Bosko and them Lincoln nikkas, that was my joint. I think all them dudes got locked up, but they had a couple songs I messed with...

Will refrain from voting because I've never been but my overall impression is it's cool, but it aont somewhere I got on the bucket list...

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
I won’t lie & say it’s the same as it was because it isn’t, but it was said that there was nothing here for black people which isn’t true.

Yea southeast is a lot different than it was but that is a better or worse situation. I grew up in Skyline, have family in Lincoln Park, so I’ve seen the changes, some good, some bad. I feel like whenever any neighborhood that’s majority black in the country is going through the same things, I’m pretty sure brehs in LA say the same thing about Compton, Long Beach, etc. Same thing different day
No doubt it ain’t just happening in San Diego, San Diego is just feeling the affects faster than a lot of places. It’s hard to convey that to people who aren’t from there. Trust me, when it comes to the assumptions and shyt I’ve heard it all from out-of-town brehs.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Having lived here my whole life, I can say I would have rather been born in a more international, metropolitan city, like NY or LA, or even London, it fits me much better, but SD has it's charms, in terms of weather, which i take for granted, beaches, also take for granted, I feel like I see more women in other cities, but that could be my own bias, and it's an everyday thing for me. The food scene is expanding, culture is really lacking, it is diverse, it's just a small city, so it doesn't really feel very diverse, especially in higher income areas. I want to move to a more expensive city, but the inequality, even here, is really, really, becoming polarizing. It has always been that way, in every city, but many residents are living entirely separate lives, due to the large suburbs, and the coastal cost of living becoming extremely prohibitive, but also, becoming much better, for those who live and can afford it.

Last edited:

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Look, I was asked my opinion. I’m from here and grew up here. If people don’t care for it it’s cool, I’m just answering the questions and debunking the non-facts.

I just looked up the black attractions you posted and :unimpressed:

But you live in San Diego so I can see why you have no idea what is meant when I say there is nothing culturally there for black people. I could barely find black businesses to support while out there.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
SD might win the comp. I was wrong about Eastcoast bias. :wow:

Our collective frustration with anti-Black sentiment by Mexicans, will take a back seat when a city has more positives than negatives. CA may be the only state with multiple cities in the top 10. At the end of the day if you have weather, landscape, decent architecture, and "vibes" on your side, your city can't lose. Thats the golden combo. :wow:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Can't believe San Diego is #2 above Los Angeles :unimpressed: I've never heard anybody speak so highly in regards to San Diego compared to other parts of California.

I'm starting to think Cali posters tryna inflate the ratings a little in their favor..what's next Anaheim being top 5.
Ppl hate extreme weather. Weather is half the batttle. Bad weather will make ppl stay in the house/hotel/airbnb and not want to explore any city. Weather and seasons dictates which cities will get X amount of ppl in X amount of months and which cities will lose ppl. SD(as with most CA cities) has near tolerable/moderate weather year round.

:hubie: