Random NBA Observations 2018 - 2019

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
I know the "LeBron is GOAT" narrative had started since his championship with Cleveland, but it's going to accelerate to the point of acceptance by the masses once he passes Jordan on the scoring list.

@GoddamnyamanProf the forum is going to be mad AF :banderas:
Lol I been telling em for years

Big picture

Last edited:

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
It sucks. There was all this hype about the Jazz in the offseason. It's not just this loss, but there have been too many other losses this season against teams the Jazz were supposed to beat. I haven't lost faith in Donovan but he hasn't been as electric as he was last year, maybe part of that is because there aren't a lot of weapons in the starting lineup. I think the starting lineup for the Jazz is just fundamentally broken for today's NBA. There is too much streakiness in the team. Either they're playing great and losing to Golden State by two or they're losing by 20-50 points to teams that weren't a problem last season. I really like Derrick Favors but unless the Jazz prove they can win without a focus on shooting, I think Derrick Favors and Rubio and some bench players will be traded. I like all the guys, but no one is a consistent shooter. I will hold this L. It was an awful loss and moving forward I don't see this team staying together. It's not just this game. Too many games this season the team looks helpless because shooting is such an inconsistency
I admit I've only fully watched probabaly 2 Jazz games this year.

What has been the biggest difference from last? Rule changes, general league trends? Or do you see things evening out and they eventual settle into a playoff spot similar to last season?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
It sucks. There was all this hype about the Jazz in the offseason. It's not just this loss, but there have been too many other losses this season against teams the Jazz were supposed to beat. I haven't lost faith in Donovan but he hasn't been as electric as he was last year, maybe part of that is because there aren't a lot of weapons in the starting lineup. I think the starting lineup for the Jazz is just fundamentally broken for today's NBA. There is too much streakiness in the team. Either they're playing great and losing to Golden State by two or they're losing by 20-50 points to teams that weren't a problem last season. I really like Derrick Favors but unless the Jazz prove they can win without a focus on shooting, I think Derrick Favors and Rubio and some bench players will be traded. I like all the guys, but no one is a consistent shooter. I will hold this L. It was an awful loss and moving forward I don't see this team staying together. It's not just this game. Too many games this season the team looks helpless because shooting is such an inconsistency
entire team top to bottom played like ass. rubio is the weak link (YOUR'E OPEN FOR A REASON FOOL NOBODY BELIEVES YOU'll MAKE A JUMPER) and exum is still a chicken with his head cut off. allen had some cheap/ghost fouls called on him first half and then stopped playing aggressive D in the 2nd half which I think affected his shot. mitchell took some tough midrange shots and had bad turnovers as did Jingles, crowder shot stupid 3 after stupid 3, burks had some stupid wild drives and missed short shots. Just all around terrible low energy performance from everyone.
All I know is that you'll better get it together soon. Y'all have a tough schedule ahead.

Tonight should be interesting playing against the 76ers for a couple reasons:
1. The 76ers will be trying showcase that the addition of Yimmy wasn't a bust move. Yimmy will be eager to go off and play exceptional compared to the 14 points he put up last game.

2. Coach Synder knows that being held to 68 points, is a bad look. Jazz need to come out swinging...

Now back to the upcoming schedule for the Jazz:
-76ers(tonight)
-Celtics(will be tough)
-Pacers(won't be easy)
-Kings(won't be easy they're playing exceptional)
-Lakers(LBJ won't be easy)
-Kings
-Pacers
-BK(toss up, BK always plays hard)

Take_Note

All Star
Daps
I admit I've only fully watched probabaly 2 Jazz games this year.

What has been the biggest difference from last? Rule changes, general league trends? Or do you see things evening out and they eventual settle into a playoff spot similar to last season?

I think Donovan hasn't been as productive as he was last year. And I think part of that comes from teams paying attention to the great season he had last year and knowing how to get in the way of his game. So when he can't produce like he was on offense, Rubio, Ingles, Alec Burks and everyone else have to. And they are pretty streaky. So some nights it's okay, some nights nobody can score. And I do think the rule changes have tripped up the team in general on defense. The Jazz aren't an elite defense team anymore. If the team stays the same, I don't think things will even out and they'll be fine. I think they'll be a 9ish seed. I like everyone in the starting lineup and I like a lot of the guys off the bench. I'm no expert so maybe the team will flip a switch like they did last year, but without lineup changes, I don't think that will happen. The GM basically kept the same team together over the off-season, and it looks like that was the bad call because if you only have one legitimate offensive star (Mitchell), teams can prepare for that, and the elite defense disappeared and I think that came from the new rules on guarding or just how much more fouls refs are calling on defense

76ers and Celtics are up next (both are away games for the Jazz), they'll probably get crushed pretty soundly by them. I really like the guys on the team, but I'm expecting some trades to happen this season.

All I know is that you'll better get it together soon. Y'all have a tough schedule ahead.

Tonight should be interesting playing against the 76ers for a couple reasons:
1. The 76ers will be trying showcase that the addition of Yimmy wasn't a bust move. Yimmy will be eager to go off and play exceptional compared to the 14 points he put up last game.

2. Coach Synder knows that being held to 68 points, is a bad look. Jazz need to come out swinging...

Now back to the upcoming schedule for the Jazz:
-76ers(tonight)
-Celtics(will be tough)
-Pacers(won't be easy)
-Kings(won't be easy they're playing exceptional)
-Lakers(LBJ won't be easy)
-Kings
-Pacers
-BK(toss up, BK always plays hard)
I know. Every single one of those games could potentially be a loss. The Kings look so much better this year, Lakers too. The Jazz are streaky so they might surprise 2, maybe 3 of those teams with a good shooting night and grind out some wins but I don't know what they will do in the long term.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Season is weird so far

Season starts earlier and they eliminated some pre season games...the first 5 games of the season are basically pre season games now...

Also with everyone shooting so many 3's teams just don't care about percentages or 3 point defense anymore...use to be you make a team go 1 for 8 from 3 they might not even shoot a 9th one so you never had to worry about it...nowadays teams might go 1 for 11 from 3 and not even blink and just keep shooting them...

Welcome to nba parity

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Season starts earlier and they eliminated some pre season games...the first 5 games of the season are basically pre season games now...

Also with everyone shooting so many 3's teams just don't care about percentages or 3 point defense anymore...use to be you make a team go 1 for 8 from 3 they might not even shoot a 9th one so you never had to worry about it...nowadays teams might go 1 for 11 from 3 and not even blink and just keep shooting them...

Welcome to nba parity
I could of sworn the regular season used to start around Halloween, and preseason was longer so we really got a solid look at bench players....

funkee

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX

resigning favors and exum to those contracts and not resigning jerebko was dumb AF. mirotic or bjelica or some sort of true/mobile stretch 4 would've been perfect next to gobert. the offense plays at a disadvantage w/ rubio or exum in. rubio's defense is overrated but at least exum can guard when motivated. but they still end up playing 4 on 5 offensively when he's in. both he and rubio are also terrible at finishing at the rim. Neto may be better than both. Allen is still learning/catching up defensively but can be great offensively w/ burks if quin will allow him a longer leash to play through rookie mistakes and to run more plays on the move for him as he's adept at attacking the paint (rather than standing in the corner like they've been having him do while watching exum do dumb shyt). An ideal lineup (in the absence of rubio or exum and if allen can improve on defense) is mitchell, burks/allen, ingles, crowder/niang, gobert. That's 3 ballhandlers/playmakers in the backcourt with 2 potentially reliable shooters in mitchell and burks and 3 potentially elite shooters in allen, ingles, and niang. Floor spacing everywhere save for gobert as crowder can be a threat as well when he takes good shots. mitchell, burks, allen would have much easier lanes to the hoop with less help defense compared to having to play next to/with rubio or exum. If you want a primarily defensive lineup, then you can go exum, mitchell/burks, o'neale, crowder, gobert. A trade has to happen. I suspect burks and favors may be on the block as expirers, but finding suitors for ricky and exum is gonna be tough with how bad they've both been.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
resigning favors and exum to those contracts and not resigning jerebko was dumb AF. mirotic or bjelica or some sort of true/mobile stretch 4 would've been perfect next to gobert. the offense plays at a disadvantage w/ rubio or exum in. rubio's defense is overrated but at least exum can guard when motivated. but they still end up playing 4 on 5 offensively when he's in. both he and rubio are also terrible at finishing at the rim. Neto may be better than both. Allen is still learning/catching up defensively but can be great offensively w/ burks if quin will allow him a longer leash to play through rookie mistakes and to run more plays on the move for him as he's adept at attacking the paint (rather than standing in the corner like they've been having him do while watching exum do dumb shyt). An ideal lineup (in the absence of rubio or exum and if allen can improve on defense) is mitchell, burks/allen, ingles, crowder/niang, gobert. That's 3 ballhandlers/playmakers in the backcourt with 2 potentially reliable shooters in mitchell and burks and 3 potentially elite shooters in allen, ingles, and niang. Floor spacing everywhere save for gobert as crowder can be a threat as well when he takes good shots. mitchell, burks, allen would have much easier lanes to the hoop with less help defense compared to having to play next to/with rubio or exum. If you want a primarily defensive lineup, then you can go exum, mitchell/burks, o'neale, crowder, gobert. A trade has to happen. I suspect burks and favors may be on the block as expirers, but finding suitors for ricky and exum is gonna be tough with how bad they've both been.

Suns would take Ricky Rubio off your team's hands. I don't know what the Suns would offer for Rubio when they could sign him in the offseason during free agency.

funkee

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
Suns would take Ricky Rubio off your team's hands. I don't know what the Suns would offer for Rubio when they could sign him in the offseason during free agency.

devin booker would be getting basically doubled and rarely get an open 3 again. rubio for all his overall floor general abilities, is a huge offensive liability. Silly turnovers and gets completely ignored by defenders which has really handicapped utah's offense. for every golden state type game like he had early this season, he'll give you 5-7 duds with 2-3 average games mixed in. Not a winning formula.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
devin booker would be getting basically doubled and rarely get an open 3 again. rubio for all his overall floor general abilities, is a huge offensive liability. Silly turnovers and gets completely ignored by defenders which has really handicapped utah's offense. for every golden state type game like he had early this season, he'll give you 5-7 duds with 2-3 average games mixed in. Not a winning formula.
He's a slow starter. Always has been. He'll pick it up soon enough. They just can't assume they'll run off a streak like they did last year but the West isn't as strong as last year