Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
Worked up to 275 x 4, 4, 3, 3 then dropped down and hit 225 x 10 and 185 x 12 skwatting for first time since I tore that disc in my back. Felt pretty solid in my core, no back pain :ehh:. Not at all where I was before the back incident but I'm pretty happy w it. Dat new DOMS do' :merchant:. Didn't realize til I got to the steps at the train station this morning.

Still gonna hold off from pulling for another week or 2 but I'm coming for ya

semtex

:)
Daps
Worked up to 275 x 4, 4, 3, 3 then dropped down and hit 225 x 10 and 185 x 12 skwatting for first time since I tore that disc in my back. Felt pretty solid in my core, no back pain :ehh:. Not at all where I was before the back incident but I'm pretty happy w it. Dat new DOMS do' :merchant:. Didn't realize til I got to the steps at the train station this morning.

Still gonna hold off from pulling for another week or 2 but I'm coming for ya
I'd pull from a rack if I was you

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
I'd pull from a rack if I was you

i always thought that starting the pull from a higher elevation puts more stress on the lower back than hamstrings? or perhaps better worded- rack pulls help develop the lower back muscles to help stabilize your core through the entire pulling motion of the deadlift? or are you suggesting i should work on strengthening my lower back before i go back to pulling from ground?

just curious to the science behind you suggestion, always down for some edumucationing...

semtex

:)
Daps
i always thought that starting the pull from a higher elevation puts more stress on the lower back than hamstrings? or perhaps better worded- rack pulls help develop the lower back muscles to help stabilize your core through the entire pulling motion of the deadlift? or are you suggesting i should work on strengthening my lower back before i go back to pulling from ground?

just curious to the science behind you suggestion, always down for some edumucationing...
No it takes stress off of the lower back. You don't have to bend down as far so it turns into more of a middle-upper back exercise. That's why pulling from a rack is recommended for new deadlifters, so they don't injure themselves.

EDIT just googled and some people seem to think it puts more stress on the lower back. :what: I feel absolutely nothing in my lower back with rack pulls and I don't know why anyone would unless the rack they are pulling from is really low to the ground. Pull from around the knee area and see how it feels.

Last edited:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Skip the calf raises at home. It's not enough resistance.
If you don't want skinny calves, you need to add weight resistance for mass. At home, do squat jumps. Squat low, jump as high as possible.

Low (think NFL cornerback) back pedals holding a 25 pound plate for 25 yards, then explode forward. down and back twice is a set.

My calves :whoa:

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
So I was doing some deadlifts for single reps just going over my form and shyt them I get bombarded with two nikkas arguing if the deadlift is a push or pull movement. Third guy came in and had to comment on me failing on a certain weight I tried earlier. This the type of shyt that happens if you don't bring headphones.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
No it takes stress off of the lower back. You don't have to bend down as far so it turns into more of a middle-upper back exercise. That's why pulling from a rack is recommended for new deadlifters, so they don't injure themselves.

EDIT just googled and some people seem to think it puts more stress on the lower back. :what: I feel absolutely nothing in my lower back with rack pulls and I don't know why anyone would unless the rack they are pulling from is really low to the ground. Pull from around the knee area and see how it feels.
:dwillhuh:

Mechanically that makes no sense that anyone woukd have more stress on the lower back. Both movementa are identical, other than that rack pulls eliminate the first half.

Only 2 things could explain it....either people are not understanding how to properly do rack pulls, or the higher weight used is compressing their spine

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
So I was doing some deadlifts for single reps just going over my form and shyt them I get bombarded with two nikkas arguing if the deadlift is a push or pull movement. Third guy came in and had to comment on me failing on a certain weight I tried earlier. This the type of shyt that happens if you don't bring headphones.
:heh:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
**Long rant warning**

Step 1 in trying to catch my chest up with my back and shoulders was a huge success
@HHR @Black Jesus I know that both of yall at one point have mention lagging chests. Give this a try.

I was on an Upper/Lower 2X per week split. On all of my non-upper days, I made sure to do 100 strict form push ups, focusing on chest contraction and mind muscle connection. 5 sets of 20 spread throughout the day, not meant to induce noticeable fatigue or stress. Greasing the groove, I suppose.

In just 2 full weeks of doing this before de-loading, my chest was noticeably gaining fullness and proportion. I can't believe that in only 2 weeks I already saw visual changes. Worked amazingly.

I'm sure much of this change is just that my chest is 'pumping' easier and more often since 2 weeks isn't enough time to build appreciable muscle tissue, but nonetheless it worked.

The purpose of doing this is to hopefully induce physiological changes that 'teach' my body that it needs to put on mass in my chest. I 100% maintain that the reason my back and shoulders blew up quicker than anything else on my body is because for years I worked a retail job that involved consistently lifting and twisting totes and cases weighing as much as 50 lbs. Years and years of this back/shoulder light work prepped my body to really put on mass once I began a real workout and nutrition routine. Meanwhile, I can't think of any lifestyle activity during my previous 30 years of living that would cause consistent chest muscle stress, and my disproportionate growth is the result.

Science? Pseudo-science? I don't give a fukk. Its working. And I have read enough anecdotal stories to support it. Naysayers inevitably are spewing nothing but bro-science against it with no actual experience doing it.

Step 2 now is a deload week.

Step 3 is going to be a chest specialization workout cycle. 6 weeks of working chest 3 times per week, 30-60 reps per workout with varying intensities. I will not be doing the push-ups on my off days during this cycle. Back and shoulder work will be minimal, leg work will only be 5X5 squats and one-legged presses. Will continue other accessory work as normal (abs, calves, forearms)

Step 4 is going to be another de-load.

Step 5 is back to the Upper/Lower 2X split with the push-ups on my non-upper days, only this time I will do it for a full training cycle rather than just 2 weeks.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I switched to doing chest 3x a week, third day being hypertrophy, and I'm similarly impressed with the results.

First day of week 2, the 4th chest workout in 8 days, I felt STRONGER than I was the week before.

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
Aye young this one fat nikka in here eating a banana while walking around :laff:

Another nikka got a month piece on :heh:

fukk all that I curled 80 lbs on the straight bar :whew:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Used a scoop and a half of C4 Friday. It gave a little pop of energy but not what I was expecting.

Might try two full scoops tomorrow for my longer lift day.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Been just doing cardio the last couple days so I have people watched a bit while chugging away

It is amazing how many people walk on the treadmill at sub-3 MPH for less than a half an hour. And yes, they all have guts to no ones surprise

I want to teach them, I really do. For free even. But its not my place, and most of them wouldn't take my advice anyway

I would genuinely consider opening a "free/cheap personal training" gym one day if my finances are in order. Not just idle chatter either, I mean I seriously will consider it. It may not be the biggest money-making business idea ever, but I would love going to work every day
:manny: