Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Heavy bench :scusthov: looks cool but the risks outweigh the rewards by a ridiculous margin. Even if you get your numbers super high you're not hitting the big muscle groups, so you wind up being really strong in one little area.
Not at all.

If you are doing a Strength routine you'll be doing heavy bench / squat / deadlift etc.

I bench heavy - for me.

semtex

:)
Daps
Not at all.

If you are doing a Strength routine you'll be doing heavy bench / squat / deadlift etc.

I bench heavy - for me.
I'm just cracking on people who act like bench is the holy grail of lifts. It's not even the best chest exercise let alone the best overall.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I'm just cracking on people who act like bench is the holy grail of lifts. It's not even the best chest exercise let alone the best overall.

I only do it now because my numbers are:flabbynsick:, around body weight for 5-8 reps. Once I get to 225 for consistent 8-10 reps :camby:

I feel like I get more from incline/decline DB work and pushups.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I'm currently doing a lot of reading about daily/every other day training for a specific body part for a given period of time.

There is a dogma of 'overtraining' that exists, so much of my reading is on forums with people saying "don't do that bro lol" who have never tried it before.

Weeding through those types of posts finds success stories sprinkled everywhere. People working arms or chest daily and seeing good gains.

The dogma seems to state that muscles need time to recover and won't grow if you train them too often, but considering protein synthesis returns to baseline levels after 36 hours in natural trainees this doesn't seem to make sense. I think where a lot of this dogma comes from is people doing classic bro splits and hammering their bodies with 20-30 sets and getting massive DOMS (which are often joint/tendon based and irrelevant to muscle growth and recovery) that they still feel 4-5 days later. But what I'm talking about is reasonable volume, 30-60 reps compound and 10-30 reps isolation.

I think that for my next training cycle (starting mid-August) I'm going to train my chest every other day and reduce back and legs to maintenance levels. Will give it a solid 4-6 weeks before making any judgements.

I'm not going to listen to dogma anymore when there are just too many anecdotal stories of people having success. Johnny Bravo dudes at the gym are living proof that frequency and focus can produce results. My back is in great shape and for legs I'm mainly concerned about strength and proportion, not pure size. So I can afford to get away from total body growth for a while.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I..The dogma seems to state that muscles need time to recover and won't grow if you train them too often, but considering protein synthesis returns to baseline levels after 36 hours in natural trainees this doesn't seem to make sense. I think where a lot of this dogma comes from is people doing classic bro splits and hammering their bodies with 20-30 sets and getting massive DOMS (which are often joint/tendon based and irrelevant to muscle growth and recovery) that they still feel 4-5 days later. But what I'm talking about is reasonable volume, 30-60 reps compound and 10-30 reps isolation....
If your goal is to grow muscle mass, then your workouts will be based on pushing heavy weight at low reps in order to cause small muscle tears. When these tears heal, your muscle fibers are a bit larger, muscle cell count doesn't change. Yes, you don't want to do back-to-back heavy days. To do heavy workout on chest two days apart, I guess you could do that.
On my mega-heavy days, like for squats, the number of reps is really low, not even close to 50 reps total. The reps I do in my sets to warm-up are usually more than the total number of reps during my heavy sets.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I think it's a YMMV deal

Every single time I tried to push to hitting body parts 3x/wk my joints would start screaming. Even if I kept it light. Once a week, I'd be sore all the time. 2x a week is my ideal. I think everyone has an individual ideal. They just have to experiment and figure it out. Lot of times I visited snap city were from trying to follow someone else's wave.

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
:leostare:Need to develop a calisthenic workout plan to keep as much mass as possible for 12 weeks.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
ive been feeling kinda sore and rundown lately...i think the IF and EC stack on top of my workouts is starting to fukk with my recovery time...i think i need to take it easy from the gym for this week and next. No more this gym this week and only do a half gym week.prolly only do a morning run only and then go box after work for monday and tuesday..first week of august im getting back to weights and i need my body to be up to the task

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm considering kind of restarting here. Going to do stronglifts and really concentrate on form. Trying to rebuild my lifts from the ground up.