Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
..or if TMW didn't make a IF vid yesterday :pachaha: The amount of TMW fanboys that rushed this vid is astonishing regardless how off base the vid is. :laugh:

His ignorance compelled me to leave a comment, and I don't even rock with TMW like that. It was funny to see nikka after nikka come comment on dude's video page and lace him with game about IF, showing that he didn't really know what he was talking about. :lolbron::pachaha::russ::heh:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk a Smith machine...

:laff:

You are right though. Thats why I had to get a gym membership again. After about a year on the Smith Machine, when I went back to Free weight bench, I was struggling to balance the bar and weights. It took me a while to feel comfortable on the regular bench and start making progress. Now I only use if I absolutely can't make it to the gym. but I was still surprised at the differential in the weight.

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
:laff:

You are right though. Thats why I had to get a gym membership again. After about a year on the Smith Machine, when I went back to Free weight bench, I was struggling to balance the bar and weights. It took me a while to feel comfortable on the regular bench and start making progress. Now I only use if I absolutely can't make it to the gym. but I was still surprised at the differential in the weight.

I don't know he true it is but I heard that the smith machine uses only 45% of your " total muscle activation."

I don't know about all that but using the smith machine is for the majority of exercises more detrimental than beneficial.

I only use it for plyo chest exercises or when I don't have a spotter doe certain shoulder exercises.

Free weights is the way to go tho.

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
I could run and sprint, but if I pivoted sometimes I'd feel a bit of pain in the outside of the knee. The pain has been going away slowly over the last two weeks, when it first hit it was much sharper. Since it was a small tear on the outer part, he said I might not need to have work done, just strengthen everything around the knee more and drop more weight (@ 228lbs).

Im trying to hold off on surgery as long as possible, once they cut you open you're never the same again.

I have the same issue now except I tore my mcl in both knees on separate occasions (roughly 3yrs apart). Now that I'm working out hard core again its tough for me to run/jog/jump rope etc without feeling like one of my knees is gonna mess up again.

I've constantly told my trainer the deal with my knees but he's on some "You haven't used it in awhile, just strengthen it up and you'll be fine :smugfavre:" and insists I run/jog 2-3 miles during his sessions which has my knees swollen and feeling like crap after. I might have to let him go eventually and go back to working out on my own just to avoid some type of invasive surgery or another injury

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
I have the same issue now except I tore my mcl in both knees on separate occasions (roughly 3yrs apart). Now that I'm working out hard core again its tough for me to run/jog/jump rope etc without feeling like one of my knees is gonna mess up again.

I've constantly told my trainer the deal with my knees but he's on some "You haven't used it in awhile, just strengthen it up and you'll be fine :smugfavre:" and insists I run/jog 2-3 miles during his sessions which has my knees swollen and feeling like crap after. I might have to let him go eventually and go back to working out on my own just to avoid some type of invasive surgery or another injury

:snoop:
Stop doing it and fire him tomorrow.

Why would you keep doing that with your history and your knees swelling up and hurting afterwards? I don't get it.

Dooby

إن شاء الله
Daps
How much should your protein intake be for muscle gain?

Can simply working out with dumb bells get you the complete workout you need?

Is using dumbbells the best way to go?

I'm not using free weights, I'm using the machines with pullies and weights and I feel I'm cheating myself. :snoop:

I can bench 170 on the pully machine but when I get on the smith machine the most I can do is 140, I guess 155 counting the bar, and I can't get anywhere near the reps I get on the pully machine.

Curl machine too, I can do 60 on the pully but only like 35 free. Struggling to keep balance and everything.

Man, if I knew about this I would have never gone with the pully machines :wow:

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
:snoop:
Stop doing it and fire him tomorrow.

Why would you keep doing that with your history and your knees swelling up and hurting afterwards? I don't get it.

I've done 6 sessions, the last 2 i went against him and power walked. Tomorrow if he throws that bullshyt my way again then he's gonna be thrown in tje bushes and I'll go back to working out independently.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
I've done 6 sessions, the last 2 i went against him and power walked. Tomorrow if he throws that bullshyt my way again then he's gonna be thrown in tje bushes and I'll go back to working out independently.

Like Walt said you gotta let him go, I do some sprinting but it's on a rubber track and never takes more than 15 mins. If you really want to do cardio, I suggest cycling or swimming instead if you can't run on sand or a rubber track.

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
i don't know what the fukk took me so damn long but....

chalk >>>>> straps

and it's not even close. those harbingers jawns ---->:trash: brehs

the first attempt at 405 on deads last night, bar starts spinning and slipping in my hands against the nylon of the straps. took them shyts off and slapped some chalk on, went for a second attempt.... :jawalrus:

i'm a changed man :obama:

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
my gym has it out but i rarely see anyone use it aside from a few trainers.

i remember back in jan i used a free session they gave me w one of the trainers and he politely hinted i needed to ditch my straps and use the chalk and i kinda brushed it off.

i don't know if my straps are just worn out and there isn't enough "texture" left grip the bar properly :manny:

but it just felt so right having direct contact w the bar and not feeling the slippage.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
So do you guys lift solo? I going to read the 5 x 5 info this week but I know I won't have anyone to really.lift with which I'm guessing is going to be needed. Damn if I haven't lifted a weight since college.

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
So do you guys lift solo? I going to read the 5 x 5 info this week but I know I won't have anyone to really.lift with which I'm guessing is going to be needed. Damn if I haven't lifted a weight since college.

i'm solo 95% of the time. there are very few lifts i do where i would actually need a spot and if i do i just ask one of the trainers at my gym roaming the floor to step in. really the only one i can think of is bb bench press.

are there trainers on the floor at your gym who aren't with clients?

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Chalk huh

My only fear is my p*ssy ass gym will give me a hard time about it

fukk it though I will get some today.

Amazon.com: Liquid Grip Liquid Grip 1.5 Oz: Health & Personal Care
You going to be starting with low weights doing 5x5 so you wont really need a spotter in the beginning. When it does start to get difficult then just move to the smith machines for squatting and benching.

Even tho free weights>>>>>smith machines, safety trumps everything