Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

semtex

:)
Daps
@semtex breh how do I train grip directly.

A lot of my lifts my body can handle easily but my grip giving out is slowing me down.

I usually just regrip and keep going, training them that way. week by week it gets stronger but now I want to train them directly so they're no longer the weakest link.
I'm tired of fighting with it

Help me out breh.
I'm flattered you're askin me :leon: Dumbbell rows I'd say help. If you really wanna suffer, do pullups from a draped towel :sadbron:

Daps
I'm flattered you're askin me :leon: Dumbbell rows I'd say help. If you really wanna suffer, do pullups from a draped towel :sadbron:

I do max 160x5 DB rows. I'm fine until I get to 150lbs in my set. My grip fails on me so I have to regrip like every 2 reps. It's annoying.

I do weighted pull-ups too. I go heavy and at this point in my progress even that is suffering cause my grip.

It's slowing me down breh in every lift and I'm getting mad:birdman:

I ask you cause you out here talmbout u rowing 180:huhldup:

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
You using chalk?

I've found gripping with my fingers rather than my palms helps. On rows, if the grip is too difficult it's probably too heavy. To really target the back rather than biceps you need to be using your elbows rather than your arms to move the weights back and forth.

semtex

Daps
I do max 160x5 DB rows. I'm fine until I get to 150lbs in my set. My grip fails on me so I have to regrip like every 2 reps. It's annoying.

I do weighted pull-ups too. I go heavy and at this point in my progress even that is suffering cause my grip.

It's slowing me down breh in every lift and I'm getting mad:birdman:

I ask you cause you out here talmbout u rowing 180:huhldup:
I db row 206 for sets of 3. But look into towel pull-ups.

biggaveli31

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pyrros da gawd .....

of weight

and aesthetics.

dimas.jpg

:wow: :wow:

guy in the bottom isnt pyrros dimas btw.

thats ivan stoitsov.

Daps
You using chalk?

I've found gripping with my fingers rather than my palms helps. On rows, if the grip is too difficult it's probably too heavy. To really target the back rather than biceps you need to be using your elbows rather than your arms to move the weights back and forth.

Nah no chalk.

But it's not too heavy cause doing the actual rep isn't hard, it's just that the BB/DB is ripping away from my fingers.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
@semtex breh how do I train grip directly.

A lot of my lifts my body can handle easily but my grip giving out is slowing me down.

I usually just regrip and keep going, training them that way. week by week it gets stronger but now I want to train them directly so they're no longer the weakest link.
I'm tired of fighting with it

Help me out breh.
You need to increase your forearm strength. I don't recommend straps, because they aid in grip but don't help your forearm strength. You end up being able to do more in rows/pull-ups but without them, your forearm grip is equivalent to someone who can lift maybe 30% less.

There are various forearm exercises.
There's a bar about two feet long with a rope tied in the middle. On the other end of the rope is a hook/clip to hold onto a 5 or 10 pound weight plate. You extend your arms out holding onto the bar. Then you rotate your wrists to curl the rope around the bar so that the weight starts going up like an elevator. On a preacher curl bench, get a barbell and grip like you are doing curls with your palms up. Put your forearms on the top of the bench so your arms are parallel with the ground. Then, do curls with just your hands, flex only at the wrist.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Nah no chalk.

But it's not too heavy cause doing the actual rep isn't hard, it's just that the BB/DB is ripping away from my fingers.

Alright, then get yourself some liquid chalk. Dries out your hands and gives you the maximum level of grip you can have without cheating.

From my experience, if you're losing grip on rows it's too heavy. Not too heavy for you to move but it's too heavy to be able to isolate your back. When it's too heavy the row move isn't smooth and you end up using your biceps more than your back.

For pulling moves, i've learnt to use my fingers rather than my palms for grip (using liquid chalk). I don't suffer from grip issues with pull ups, rows, deadlifts. Again with a pull-up, if your grip is going the weight is too heavy and you're most likely using your biceps rather than your back.

Y2Dre

Melanated God
Supporter
Daps
The Hodge Twins' mother died this week brehs :to:

if you get a chance please leave a positive comment on one of their newer videos.

Those brothers bring me a lot of comedy and I'm sure they're going through it.

semtex

Daps
The Hodge Twins' mother died this week brehs :to:

if you get a chance please leave a positive comment on one of their newer videos.

Those brothers bring me a lot of comedy and I'm sure they're going through it.
Thought it was last week

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
question,

even though im eating right and doing my routine, it seems i havent really lost any weight on the scale. when i first started til about 1-2 week ago, i dropped 10 lbs easy (water weight?) but now.....

is it because of any newbie muscle gains replacing my old body weight thats causing my scale weight to not drop? or should i be dropping weight (on the scale) regardless if im eating and working out properly?
The other thing I can think besides what was mentioned is that your body is getting used to your routine and you aren't exerting as much energy to complete it. I'm feeling damn good. Down 20 overall since I been back home. My goal is another 20-30 by the end of the year.