Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

Daps
3-4 days of heavy lifting
2-3 days of soccer
1 day of rest (Sunday)

This is the routine I wanna lock in for Q2 and Q3, just need to get my 2nd weekday soccer league going again.

@Son Goku can you recommend an intermediate lifting plan after finishing up Lyle McDonald’s General bulking plan? I like the upper/lower body splits and focus in big lifts but need something with a bit more shoulder work and more focus on the back during the upper days.
With that sched, Sunday better have meal prep in it... :ufdup:

Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood
This dude's page looks like pure bullshyt and the form and cadence is questionable at best.

If he's really putting up 385 on incline (without that momentum), cheers.

I don't know what to believe on the Internet anymore.
I damn sure don't believe that a man is sitting under 385 lbs and thinking a woman is going to spot him if things go wrong.

But hey...

Something not adding up. He had more trouble moving 335 on flat bench.

Nvm seems like he is posting stuff outta sequence

He added 70lbs to his bench press in 3 months :sitdown:

Last edited:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
3-4 days of heavy lifting
2-3 days of soccer
1 day of rest (Sunday)

This is the routine I wanna lock in for Q2 and Q3, just need to get my 2nd weekday soccer league going again.

@Son Goku can you recommend an intermediate lifting plan after finishing up Lyle McDonald’s General bulking plan? I like the upper/lower body splits and focus in big lifts but need something with a bit more shoulder work and more focus on the back during the upper days.

1. Thank you for calling @Son Goku for all your coli gym/lifting needs.
71db73f0f5ba8c30a91e4db57d456c-removebg-preview.png

2. For only 3-4 days of lifting, you're probably best off at full-body workouts for three days and U/L's for four. (You could do an U/L 3x/week, it's just less optimal more than likely. Avoid tryna do bro splits, PPL x1, etc. if the schedule doesn't fit.

3. For specific intermediate routines, Google the P.H.U.L (Power-Hypertrophy Upper Lower), which is kind of like PHAT from the magat Layne Norton, except the Shoulder/Back and Chest/Arm days are combined.

You could also look at the Texas Method and Madcow 5x5 for weeks when you can/only want to lift 3 times a week.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

2. For only 3-4 days of lifting, you're probably best off at full-body workouts for three days and U/L's for four. (You could do an U/L 3x/week, it's just less optimal more than likely. Avoid tryna do bro splits, PPL x1, etc. if the schedule doesn't fit.

3. For specific intermediate routines, Google the P.H.U.L (Power-Hypertrophy Upper Lower), which is kind of like PHAT from the magat Layne Norton, except the Shoulder/Back and Chest/Arm days are combined.

You could also look at the Texas Method and Madcow 5x5 for weeks when you can/only want to lift 3 times a week.
Bro splits ?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Yes, avoid them if you're only gymming 3 or 4 days a week.
I just looked it up. That shyt is exactly why noobs crash out.

It’s “hard” for a regular like me to force myself to hit the gym 3-4 times a week.

But we telling a noob to hit a muscle group once per week, for 5 days.

That’s exactly why they don’t see any gains.

Only way to get good at doing compound movements like squats, is to do it more frequently

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
I just looked it up. That shyt is exactly why noobs crash out.

It’s “hard” for a regular like me to force myself to hit the gym 3-4 times a week.

But we telling a noob to hit a muscle group once per week, for 5 days.

That’s exactly why they don’t see any gains.

Only way to get good at doing compound movements like squats, is to do it more frequently

Disagreed. Some of us regulars have no life besides gymming and work; I have to actively try not to go 6-7 a week too often. (I average 5-6 times a week each year.)

A bro split can hit muscle groups more than once a week, depending on how it's programmed. Delts get hit on both Chest and Shoulders days; Quads and Hamstrings get hit on Leg and Back days (if you deadliff on Back day), etc.

They don't see gains because they lack consistency and intensity and have poor exercise selection moreso than anything else IMO.

A lot of powerlifting splits and programs used for powerlifting (like 5/3/1) only have you doing a given compound lift once or twice (max) a week, so I don't know, everybody handles volume and frequency differently (i.e. individual differences) to some degree. I got a homeboy at my gym now totaling over 1500 raw w/ sleeves and he doesn't usually hit a lift more than once a week from what I know.

BEsides, most of these folks including dudes ITT will never compete anyways so how much does this really matter?

I had an athletic, brolic manlet homie at work (a me is black papi :mjpls: Dominicuz) that wrote up a Bro Split for me years back. :ehh:

I took that shyt, basically added 5/3/1 sets to all the Big 4 lifts and rocked with it. Pretty sure I still got the template lying around somewhere.

I was benching and hit chest + delts & tris (indirectly) on bench day.
I was squatting and hitting calves on leg day.
I overhead pressed and hit delts + chest & tris (indirectly) on shoulders day.
I hit back and bis on back day and got legs involved by deadlifting.
I had pull-ups and arms on arm day, so lats, back, rear delts, bis, and tris all got hit.
I did direct ab work and cardio on ab day to round off the week and peep the gym brawds on Saturday.

shyt worked. I may even run it back when I get bored. :manny:

Daps

I heard rumblings of this. Didn't think it was true..:francis:....... waaay too prevalent in the strength training community..:patrice:...... I'll just have to continue to pirate his books just as before, but now with pleasure...:takedat: