Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
All those folks with excuses why they don't squat/deadlift heavy should be ashamed of themselves. You got got old librarians out here at the Arnold Masters squatting more than them :scust: :scust: :scust: :scust:
I'm squatting like 300. I'm nervous to go beyond that. I can't see not squatting. I just started deadlifting and I'm only up to 165.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
I'm squatting like 300. I'm nervous to go beyond that. I can't see not squatting. I just started deadlifting and I'm only up to 165.

I've never understood this mentality. Do you get nervous to talk to a broad that's "too pretty" or get nervous when you drive over an arbitrary speed that's "too fast"? :mindblown: Between proper rest, solid form, support gear, safeties, and spotters, there shouldn't be a weight you're too nervous to attack, unless it's literally outside of the barbell's weight rating. :yeshrug:

A lot of coli brehs place these random limits on their training, but all it does is stop progressive overload, leading them to stop making gains. :francis: All good though. I'll take them extra plates over at my rack. :hubie:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I've never understood this mentality. Do you get nervous to talk to a broad that's "too pretty" or get nervous when you drive over an arbitrary speed that's "too fast"? :mindblown: Between proper rest, solid form, support gear, safeties, and spotters, there shouldn't be a weight you're too nervous to attack, unless it's literally outside of the barbell's weight rating. :yeshrug:

A lot of coli brehs place these random limits on their training, but all it does is stop progressive overload, leading them to stop making gains. :francis: All good though. I'll take them extra plates over at my rack. :hubie:
The rep system on this site is trash. I wish I could give you 1 million points. Your 1000% correct. The way folks think on site amazes me everyday. Nervous to go beyond 300? Let's ignore the fact that people have been squatting beyond that since forever, even some of those librarians at the Arnold Masters are doing more than that. But like you said, unless you're being idiotic, there shouldn't be a weight that makes you nervous.

@winb83 do you get nervous every time you get in car? That's far more dangerous than squatting more than 300 lbs :francis: :francis: :francis:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The rep system on this site is trash. I wish I could give you 1 million points. Your 1000% correct. The way folks think on site amazes me everyday. Nervous to go beyond 300? Let's ignore the fact that people have been squatting beyond that since forever, even some of those librarians at the Arnold Masters are doing more than that. But like you said, unless you're being idiotic, there shouldn't be a weight that makes you nervous.

@winb83 do you get nervous every time you get in car? That's far more dangerous than squatting more than 300 lbs :francis: :francis: :francis:
It doesn't take a lot of scrolling to realize this thread might be the single most judgmental place on the coli.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
It doesn't take a lot of scrolling to realize this thread might be the single most judgmental place on the coli.
Lies. I can make a mental health, religion, or political thread in TLR and prove you wrong. Don't let me get started about some of the comments you'll get in the Coliseum if you say Bron is the goat.

Son Goku

Daps

Any member of the gym army can spot the veterans from the new recruits.
Mjgrin Army

You won't go over X pounds on Y lift? Then how do you progressively overload lift Y? You adding reps every session/week? Increasing TUT? Of course not, dudes ain't outchea doing 225 or 300 pounds for 20 reps a clip or 5 second paused reps. So no progressive overload... :patrice:

You don't squat or deadlift (using free weights) because of Z excuse. It's one thing if a doc told you not to, it's another if you just bushed a lift because you couldn't learn how to do it right or because you decided it was for cacs or whatever. So minimal barbell compound lifts... :patrice:

Let's not even get to the folks on here talking about their diets, not counting/tracking macros, their ignorance on supplementation and how much it really helps (read: most of it really doesn't).

Tbf this isn't just a coli or reddit or bb.com or NikeTalk problem, it's an American problem. Anyone that lifts in a commercial gym in the states (or an overseas military post or FOB) can see that Americans have no idea what they are doing physically. Physical culture is dead and it's the reason why obesity will continue to kill more folks each and every year.

But if you give supposedly grown men straight talk and tell them what's up, they get up in their panties like some hoes. No wonder coli nikkas is so weak. :hhh:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

I'm talking for me personally. I'm not gaining weight or strength. Trying to cut down in fact and I can feel I'm getting close to the limit of what I can do at 300 for squats. It's not my 1 rep max or nothing but when I get to the end of the 5x5 I'm glad I'm done. That really started in the 280 range. Before I got to around 280 I could easily fly through the sets with little to no rest. Now I'm taking 2-3 minutes between sets.

Son Goku

Daps
I'm talking for me personally. I'm not gaining weight or strength. Trying to cut down in fact and I can feel I'm getting close to the limit of what I can do at 300 for squats. It's not my 1 rep max or nothing but when I get to the end of the 5x5 I'm glad I'm done. That really started in the 280 range. Before I got to around 280 I could easily fly through the sets with little to no rest. Now I'm taking 2-3 minutes between sets.

You're approaching what you *feel* to be a limit because you aren't really getting stronger lifting the same weight over and over again; you need to actually create a sufficient training stimulus to do that, either by adding weight, adding reps, increasing time under tension, using harder variations. You're body isn't going to keep getting stronger by doing the same old shyt you've been doing, even if it's challenging. Not easy/a challenge =/= adequate stimulus for growth or strength.

Of course your rest times have increased, that's what they're supposed to do under heavy loads (meaning heavy to you). :skip:

If you want to die, rest for 30 seconds like some coli brehs that don't lift think you should be for your compound lifts and see how well that goes. (It won't. :whoa: )

All that said, you're obviously not tryna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter so lift what you feel comfortable with and just know there are still gains on the table if you wanna eat em. :manny:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I don't have an issue with the number, 300 is solid amount that most people will never reach. It's more so that nervous comment that I don't get. If you would have said something like I hit 300 on squats and want to focus more on building up my deadlift that would have been perfectly fine. I just don't get why you would be nervous to squat 305 if you can do 300? Salute to you for pushing yourself :salute: