Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’ve had a pretty bad left-right asymmetry my whole life, that I’ve been pretty diligent on the last couple yrs. I’m getting close to even, but random I notice my right pec is always a lot more vascular when I get a pump (weaker side). Is it just working harder :jbhmm:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I’ve had a pretty bad left-right asymmetry my whole life, that I’ve been pretty diligent on the last couple yrs. I’m getting close to even, but random I notice my right pec is always a lot more vascular when I get a pump (weaker side). Is it just working harder :jbhmm:
Do you ever use dumbbells?

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Have you or someone else reviewed your form/technique? Sounds like you might be compensating some way which is leading to your imbalance.
Yea it’s not as much now, but I had/have Right AIC pattern, where I lean more to my left side, and my right shoulder used to be set forward a bit. Everything on my right side from foot to neck has always been significantly weaker, tighter, and much more difficult to engage the muscles, but I never noticed that exactly until a few yrs back. My right oblique (really the whole side of my core) used to be SO trash and I couldn’t figure out why.

I got some PT to get me close to neutral, took up yoga a few yrs ago for body awareness, and mobility. Unilateral movements and dumbbells exposed the compensation, and made up even more of the differences in strength. It’s still something I’m working on, but my form has gotten pretty balanced. I used to actually feel the difference where either I lean to one side, or feel one side working harder. My pecs are evenly sized and shaped now, and I can feel the same mind-muscle connection. Now I just happen to notice the veins more on that side when I do push day.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Barbell training when my body wasn’t all the way right was what almost fukked me up :heh: I still barbell squat, but I’m making sure both sides hold up their end of the bargain on their own before I load up the barbell again.
I don't know how serious you are about lifting but I would really look into getting a coach or someone review your form/technique. It sounds like you might have one or weakpoints that are causing your body to try to compensate and creating these imbalances.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Barbell training when my body wasn’t all the way right was what almost fukked me up :heh: I still barbell squat, but I’m making sure both sides hold up their end of the bargain on their own before I load up the barbell again.

Barbell training when your body wasn't all the way right? Barell training is what gets you all the way right. :what:

Brb bench, strict press, rows, and deads send their regards. :ufdup: Never seen or heard of any dude irl getting away from bars and being legit in the gym. I've heard of pro BBers (so not-natties) bushing squats for leg presses, but that's not you if you're asking these questions here. :usure:

But if you worried about what one side looks like versus the other with a pointless ”pump” then you cannot be saved. :mjcry:

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't know how serious you are about lifting but I would really look into getting a coach or someone review your form/technique. It sounds like you might have one or weakpoints that are causing your body to try to compensate and creating these imbalances.
Barbell training when your body wasn't all the way right? Barell training is what gets you all the way right. :what:

Brb bench, strict press, rows, and deads send their regards. :ufdup: Never seen or heard of any dude irl getting away from bars and being legit in the gym. I've heard of pro BBers (so not-natties) bushing squats for leg presses, but that's not you if you're asking these questions here. :usure:

But if you worried about what one side looks like versus the other with a pointless ”pump” then you cannot be saved. :mjcry:
I’m more serious about overall health and nutrition (feeling good) than lifting itself, just was curious as I’ve gained mind-muscle connection I’ve never had , so now I get curious about little shyt I see/feel. I do 3 days of lifting, 3 days of plyo (one is on leg-exclusive day), and 2 days of yoga a wk, so I don’t focus too heavy on lifting as long as it feels right and I’m progressing. I already had to check my ego and built back up from bw. If I end up plateauing or getting pains I’ll look into getting checked out again.

@Son Goku I’m not off BB entirely, I’m just not focused on building up that bilateral strength again yet. I was strictly BB coming up, but not being aware of technique, alignment, and balance, and just tryna rack up plates had me getting knee surgery in my 20s :mjlol: I’m moving at a steady pace and listening to my body. I’m hoping to regularly start incorporating the BB into my training, but that stretch I get in my pecs is unmatched with the dummies :wow: and keeping the sides separated is keeping me honest with progression

Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood

Farmers walks woulda got him walking straight

Pause

*pours out a little liquor for @You know damn well*

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
I’m more serious about overall health and nutrition (feeling good) than lifting itself, just was curious as I’ve gained mind-muscle connection I’ve never had , so now I get curious about little shyt I see/feel. I do 3 days of lifting, 3 days of plyo (one is on leg-exclusive day), and 2 days of yoga a wk, so I don’t focus too heavy on lifting as long as it feels right and I’m progressing. I already had to check my ego and built back up from bw. If I end up plateauing or getting pains I’ll look into getting checked out again.

@Son Goku I’m not off BB entirely, I’m just not focused on building up that bilateral strength again yet. I was strictly BB coming up, but not being aware of technique, alignment, and balance, and just tryna rack up plates had me getting knee surgery in my 20s :mjlol: I’m moving at a steady pace and listening to my body. I’m hoping to regularly start incorporating the BB into my training, but that stretch I get in my pecs is unmatched with the dummies :wow: and keeping the sides separated is keeping me honest with progression

I have no mind-muscle connection nor is it something I want. :hubie:

At least you seem to be doing what you do. :ehh: