Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
No lifting routine is inherently bad for cutting, routines with burnouts while you're in a caloric deficit will be taxing tho

The reason pure strength routines are often recommended is because they usually spare muscle the best, but depending on where you are at fitness-wise any routine will work as long as you are in some sort of caloric deficit
Nah when you cut you gotta reduce volume. You lose damn near all your capacity to recover. I forget what site said it but they recommended cutting up to 2/3 of your volume in a hard (- >500kcal/day) cut. PHAT is like the opposite of a cutting routine, you would die.

I remember my first cut I started losing strength, so I tried to up the volume... shyt was :damn: Strength plummeted, I think my immune system tanked too. It was the worst cut ever.

So if SS is less volume than what dude was doing I would go that route. Still though, squats or deads every trip? :unsure:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Eight weeks in and these weight fluctuation never cease to amaze me.

Friday, 190. Tuesday morning 181. Thursday I'll probably be high 170s. Repeat.

Almost over :noah:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
It's amazing the role the mind plays in lifting. Tonight I went to grab the 75s for some seated db shoulder presses. The 75 spot was empty so I just grabbed the 70s. Knocked out 2 sets of 10 and getting ready to do the last set I noticed I had the 75s, somebody put me in the wrong spot. You would not believe how heavy them bytches felt all of sudden, lol. I only got 6 on the last set, but I know I was gonna do 10 before I saw what weight I actually had.

yeah i forgot what the exact name of it is

but there's this marathon runner who has a condition that keeps her from remembering how much time passes

and as a result her muscles don't get as fatigued as they normally would

Nascimento

swohz
Daps
Nah when you cut you gotta reduce volume. You lose damn near all your capacity to recover. I forget what site said it but they recommended cutting up to 2/3 of your volume in a hard (- >500kcal/day) cut. PHAT is like the opposite of a cutting routine, you would die.

I remember my first cut I started losing strength, so I tried to up the volume... shyt was :damn: Strength plummeted, I think my immune system tanked too. It was the worst cut ever.

So if SS is less volume than what dude was doing I would go that route. Still though, squats or deads every trip? :unsure:
It's been like this according to my experience as well. Low volume high intensity routine best for cutting. I know the dude from Lean Gains recommends this as well, to go along with Intermittent Fasting.

But it also depends on your strength level. If you're not up to at least intermediate levels of strength on squat, bench and deadlift then it's pointless to go on a cut I'd say. Better off staying on a novice routine like SS or Stronglifts (which are high volume), and hold off on cutting until you're a strong dude.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eight weeks in and these weight fluctuation never cease to amaze me.

Friday, 190. Tuesday morning 181. Thursday I'll probably be high 170s. Repeat.

Almost over :noah:

:wtf: What cut regimen are you on? How is your strength holding up? You gonna post some pre/post pics? :youngsabo:

It's been like this according to my experience as well. Low volume high intensity routine best for cutting. I know the dude from Lean Gains recommends this as well, to go along with Intermittent Fasting.

But it also depends on your strength level. If you're not up to at least intermediate levels of strength on squat, bench and deadlift then it's pointless to go on a cut I'd say. Better off staying on a novice routine like SS or Stronglifts (which are high volume), and hold off on cutting until you're a strong dude.

Yea I agree, unless you are really fat it doesn't make sense to cut early. Better to "smart bulk" and do periodic mini cuts/deload weeks to keep shyt moving + under control. I cut twice so far, but really I didn't need to... had I just mastered my diet early, I would have been fine, prob way ahead of where I am now.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL

im doing phat with full volume and a 500 cal deficit :manny: it was hard at first but i adjusted

Daps
Reppin
New Orleans via NYC
It's amazing the role the mind plays in lifting. Tonight I went to grab the 75s for some seated db shoulder presses. The 75 spot was empty so I just grabbed the 70s. Knocked out 2 sets of 10 and getting ready to do the last set I noticed I had the 75s, somebody put me in the wrong spot. You would not believe how heavy them bytches felt all of sudden, lol. I only got 6 on the last set, but I know I was gonna do 10 before I saw what weight I actually had.

word half this shyt is mental

DrunkenNovice

Superstar
Daps
Only way to find out is to make a trip to Snap City
My 1RM on bench is like 280.... no fukking thanks

Plus there are like 8 different methodologies to calc. shyt is kind of meaningless, IMO.

:russ:

My issue is that I have a hard time find that good 6-8 rep range. So I'll either go too light or too heavy. both resulting in what I feel like is a poor workout.

I've been going phat and noticing strength gains, but most of my excercises I'm doing 10 reps.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
:wtf: What cut regimen are you on? How is your strength holding up? You gonna post some pre/post pics? :youngsabo:

UD2.

Only pre-diet pics are the ones from SOHH's 2012 cut thread :manny:

I'll post some up when its all said and done. It's hard gettin a good shot. Half the week I'm glycogen depleted and flat, can't hold a pose for shyt. The other half I'm loaded on carbs, creatine, and salt. Crazy water retention.

As for strength: everything went up......while dropping pant sizes. :youngsabo:

1 rep max calculators...you find them to be accurate?

They're just guidelines, a starting point.

I've relied on:
Weight Training Chart

...whenever I'm transition a high rep exercise to alow-moderate reps.

My issue is that I have a hard time find that good 6-8 rep range. So I'll either go too light or too heavy. both resulting in what I feel like is a poor workout

So how do you not have it dialed in by set #3?

This, for the most part, is how I find my ranges.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:russ:

My issue is that I have a hard time find that good 6-8 rep range. So I'll either go too light or too heavy. both resulting in what I feel like is a poor workout.

I've been going phat and noticing strength gains, but most of my excercises I'm doing 10 reps.
For power days you need to start slow and somewhat "light"... give your joints and CNS time to catch up with the higher loads. Its always weird to switch to completely new rep ranges.