Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I've added a good 4-5 inches to my standing vert over the past 6 months. But oddly I barely get any higher jumping off 1 foot :yeshrug:

But I'm 5'10", white, and can squeak a couple dunks in if I'm feeling good. Don't need it though, step-back 3's all day :smugbiden:

But doing the PHAT routine really helped with that explosiveness. Heavy squats 3x3 and speed/jump squats 3x6 (60% 3R max) a few days later :whoo:

I also LOVE box jump to rack clean/deadlifts....that's the only think in the gym I do that turns heads :heh:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I love deads personally, though I regret em the next morning.

I like to set up a box in the rack...just under the safety "bar"...

This kind -
PS604-1.jpg

Jump to the box, immediately grab and lift. I do 5x10 @ 225-250.
Essentially it's a variation on double-jumps, since your exploding again right after landing.

It's a fukking killer though :whew:

I usually don't do much else those days :heh: Just some calf work, maybe some light ham curls. Don't do much the next day either :sadcam:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I had fun today, laughing at my pain. I'm sure I looked like a crazy person grinning all over the place as I still try to figure out exactly what each machine does. The shoulder press really does me in LOL I was only able to press 50lbs and I was struggling. Don't judge me.

Triceps
Leg Press
Shoulder Press
Seated Row
Dumbbell Bicep curls
Lunges holding a 20lb weight

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
This is the judgment free zone

I will say this though. You will waste less time if you figure out what you want to achieve. From there we can develop a plan/roadmap to get you there, and tell you which machines/lifts to do.

We mite have to start charging fees.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I had fun today, laughing at my pain. I'm sure I looked like a crazy person grinning all over the place as I still try to figure out exactly what each machine does. The shoulder press really does me in LOL I was only able to press 50lbs and I was struggling. Don't judge me.

Triceps
Leg Press
Shoulder Press
Seated Row
Dumbbell Bicep curls
Lunges holding a 20lb weight

that's alright though...as uttered in prometheus "big things have small beginnings"..you're taking this seriously and doing the damn thing sweetheart :salute:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I'm about to throw multiple sets of deads in the bushes.

Is only going half way to your chest on the bench press a technique I'm not up on?

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
I'm about to throw multiple sets of deads in the bushes.

Is only going half way to your chest on the bench press a technique I'm not up on?

Some people do the partial reps for "explosiveness"...supposedly to help with perfecting the up and down motion where you might stall.:yeshrug:

DuFlocka Rant 2...anyone heard this yet? It's my newest ignorant gym hype music. :takedat:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Some people do the partial reps for "explosiveness"...supposedly to help with perfecting the up and down motion where you might stall.:yeshrug:

DuFlocka Rant 2...anyone heard this yet? It's my newest ignorant gym hype music. :takedat:

Does that help when they are done very slowly?

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Half or partial reps are generally reserved for helping with a part of the lift you struggle with....and their overall benefit is limited

Safe rule of thumb though, if you're doing a half-rep make it the hard part....i.e. for bench, go from your chest to half way up and back....not what you described

Hypocrite time - I like doing some partial rep work on the leg press after a full-rep routine. I honestly don't know how valid this is, but I imagine it simulating quick-jumping like in basketball. :yeshrug: