Random Gym Observations....List the Good, The Bad & The Ugly

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Dropping dumbbells doesn't even bother me but we don't have many heavy lifters between 5-7:00am so :manny:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dropping dumbbells doesn't even bother me but we don't have many heavy lifters between 5-7:00am so :manny:
That's a great time to work out.
I used to go at 5am back when I was in HS. But I went to bed super early and had the first 2 periods of HS off, so I had time to work out, shower, and stroll into class at 9:30

Oye

Random
Daps
I think the dumbbells at my gym go up to 90?
I'm not up to that yet. Not as strong as you guys. I hit about 9 solid reps of 70lbs last week.
But I've got narrow shoulders and long arms, and I have always struggled to develop a big chest. Plus I grew up playing baseball and it just wasn't a focus area for me.
Not to make excuses, just explaining.
:to:
Back in my teen years, the gym I went to was run by a local bodybuilder. That gym had them go up to like 150 or so.

I have really long arms too.

The best way to progress with dumbbells is try to go up 5 pounds every week or every other week. You can't be afraid to fail to rep a weight with them just last week I tried to get up 165s but couldn't and just dropped them. But the shock to my cns of trying to handle the 165s has me repping 150-155s much easier.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Good - Plenty of treadmills at my gym. Other gyms I've been to, you had to sign up on a sheet when it got busy and were limited to 30 minutes when it was busy and people were waiting.

Bad - No power rack or squat rack at my current gym. The good thing is it forces me to have deadlift days. I prefer to do squats over deadlifts. But I notice deadlifts activate more muscles of the upper body compared so squats. I do squats in the smith machine. It sucks but works.

Ugly - People who fart where people are working out.

I've been a gym rat for a long time. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Dumb things - I've seen a dude attempting a bench press that was difficult and then tilting the plates off to get out. However, I did that once when I was early in my lifting days. :manny:
Mindblown things - I've seen serious power lifters bench press 600+ lbs. and the barbell is bending in the middle. They wear these bench press shirts which are super tight spandex like shirts and they use ammonia capsules to get more alert. That gym was hardcore.
Cac things - group of white dudes pysch'ing each other out at the power rack, squat 405 lbs..... at a depth of about 4 inches.... and then fist bump each other like he achieved a personal best record.
Hot things - seeing the outline of a woman's labia through her spandex shorts while she's doing dumbbell presses. :wtf: I had to focus on something else or I wouldn't be able to walk around the gym.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have really long arms too.

The best way to progress with dumbbells is try to go up 5 pounds every week or every other week. You can't be afraid to fail to rep a weight with them just last week I tried to get up 165s but couldn't and just dropped them. But the shock to my cns of trying to handle the 165s has me repping 150-155s much easier.
Yeah I am forcing myself to try and push up weight even when I'm feeling tired.
I work out alone and I don't really know anyone at the gym and I don't feel like asking for a spotter. If I get half a rep in and I have to drop it...well, fukk it. But I still get a decent pump. But yeah. I'm 6'4 with long arms. Sometimes I see these short guys and I'm like...you lucky b*stard...you don't have to push weight thru the range of motion that I do.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good - Plenty of treadmills at my gym. Other gyms I've been to, you had to sign up on a sheet when it got busy and were limited to 30 minutes when it was busy and people were waiting.

Bad - No power rack or squat rack at my current gym. The good thing is it forces me to have deadlift days. I prefer to do squats over deadlifts. But I notice deadlifts activate more muscles of the upper body compared so squats. I do squats in the smith machine. It sucks but works.

Ugly - People who fart where people are working out.

I've been a gym rat for a long time. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Dumb things - I've seen a dude attempting a bench press that was difficult and then tilting the plates off to get out. However, I did that once when I was early in my lifting days. :manny:
Mindblown things - I've seen serious power lifters bench press 600+ lbs. and the barbell is bending in the middle. They wear these bench press shirts which are super tight spandex like shirts and they use ammonia capsules to get more alert. That gym was hardcore.
Cac things - group of white dudes pysch'ing each other out at the power rack, squat 405 lbs..... at a depth of about 4 inches.... and then fist bump each other like he achieved a personal best record.
Hot things - seeing the outline of a woman's labia through her spandex shorts while she's doing dumbbell presses. :wtf: I had to focus on something else or I wouldn't be able to walk around the gym.
:bryan:

Dooby

إن شاء الله
Daps
Pet Peeves:

-Dudes who slam down dumbbells.

I'm far from strong, but I do 95's for reps for DB Bench, and I can set them down on the ground without making the entire gym vibrate. There's no need for you to throw down a 60 after DB rows or some 30's after seated Curls and make the ground tremble. Shyt infuriates the hell out of me.

-the narcissitic fukks who stare at themselves in the mirror in between sets. I like to glance in the mirror every now and then, especially when you got that pump goin, but when you're staring at yourself non-stop, and lifting up your shirt, feelin on your chest etc... you're doin too much faq.

-Invisible Lat Syndrome

-People who don't re-rack their weights or wipe down machines.

I try to go to the gym when it's empty because I feel like throwing DB's at people's heads when I see any of the above.

Slam down DBs is a way of life. If you're not slamming them down you're not going hard. Let's be reality. For the people that work out by themselves, like me, don't always like to ask for a spot. So I go to failure on dumbbells instead of on the bench, for obvious reasons. When I fail, I fail, and I let those DBs safely slam to the ground everytime. Go hard or go home, Jerry.

I don't wipe down machines. No reason to unless someone was waiting on the machine AND I've left a humongous moist area. We're men ffs...we sweat. Deal with it.

I really hate people that are so...how to put this...pussified...based on the way your post came off as, you are. :camby:

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
Slam down DBs is a way of life. If you're not slamming them down you're not going hard. Let's be reality. For the people that work out by themselves, like me, don't always like to ask for a spot. So I go to failure on dumbbells instead of on the bench, for obvious reasons. When I fail, I fail, and I let those DBs safely slam to the ground everytime. Go hard or go home, Jerry.

I don't wipe down machines. No reason to unless someone was waiting on the machine AND I've left a humongous moist area. We're men ffs...we sweat. Deal with it.

I really hate people that are so...how to put this...pussified...based on the way your post came off as, you are. :camby:

Get MRSA brehs.....:mjpls:

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA

I don't have a problem with dudes who drop DB's because they're training to failure.
Dudes who try to draw attention to themselves by throwing them down when they're not even pushing themselves :ufdup:

And yeah sweating is inevitable but have some common courtesy. I'm not saying dudes need to break out antibacterial wipes and make benches spotless for the next guy, but at least bring a towel.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
So at one point I was fairly observant at the gym between prolonged rest periods ( on big ass compound sets). As school/college was out at the time, my gym had been rather JAM packed past couple of months in the summer... & since I carry a notebook to the gym (lifting geek) whenever I wasn't noting down figures ,reps,sets accomplished etc I decided to write a list of what I saw around me over a 2 weeks & lo & behold, below are my witnessed recollections *looking at my old notepad shyte is funny as FuKK*:

1. There are a lot of BIG dudes there. Big as in with a ton of muscles. Makes me feel so small and out of shape sometime

2. There are a lot of people who just sit at the machines and stare at themselves in the mirror. They don't look like they are resting. They just sit... and chill... occupy the machine... and stare at themselves.

3. Some people just have bad form.

4. Weight bar collars don't exist. They're all either lost, misplaced, or people just don't use them especially the alpha macho bravado dudes

5. No room to hardly do anything sometimes at full capacity evenings usually!

6. Pull up bars don't exist. As in, just a simple horizontal unbroken bar. You've got big steel cage things with numerous protruding handhold things but never just a simple bar. I can't find a way to do pullups with the proper amount of spacing between my hands so I just do these as warm up prior to my lifting starting.

7. Mirrors all over the goddamn place. It's hard for me to do an intense workout when there's a mirror right in front of me and my focus gets broken by the sight of myself. Just give me a blank wall (Personal opinion here some thrive on reflections)

8. Lots of people doing bicep curls...YAWN

9. Lots of people reading a book as they sit, sip on lemonade, and effortlessly pedal the exercise bike. Emphasis on "without effort." Bet their heart rate is volcano dormant!

10. Some newbs who go there and are absolutely clueless on what to do. These guys I feel bad for (the aimless looking around , random equipment selection gives this away)

11. Naked people in the locker rooms and no curtains on the showers - WTF :scusthov:

ADD ON AS OF WHEN YOU SEE SOMETHING NOTEWORTHY BREHS....:pachaha:

sounds like you go to a struggle gym

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Don't mind them breh.. we need those types around our day to day peripherals in all aspects!

IMG_4885_zps3a6424d1.jpg

bruh.. you the one sounding like a hater.. hating people too big :what: hating people lookin in the mirror :what: you even hate yourself when you look in the mirror :what: just sound like a straight up bytch ass hater :manny:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
The Good-
1. All the women in see through leggings and tube tops who smile and flirt when i check them out
2. Outlifting the steroid abusers with the inflatable muscles w/ no definition

The Bad-
1. The meatheads who hang out all day at the gym, only do 3 exercises in the time it takes me to complete a whole circuit
2. The @ssholes who try to monopolize 3 different machines at the same damn time - ex - dude is bench pressing, i go to do lat pulldowns. he comes up like
:leostare:I'm still using that machine
3. The whores in the see-through leggings and tube tops who look offended when you check them out
4. The borderline homosexuals who stare at you while you lift
5. The scrawny / flabbynsick dudes with the unprovoked advice like "You should try it like this" GTFO my face

The Ugly-
1. The only black girls at the gym are:flabbynsick:
2. Sometimes the body odor is strong as chemical weapons:scusthov:
3. Naked old white dudes tryna have a conversation with me in the locker room:huhldup:

1. The meatheads who hang out all day at the gym, only do 3 exercises in the time it takes me to complete a whole circuit

2. The @ssholes who try to monopolize 3 different machines at the same damn time - ex - dude is bench pressing, i go to do lat pulldowns. he comes up like
:leostare:I'm still using that machine

tumblr_mispzkNyvk1r33r0fo1_500.gif

But that is what a circuit is... Using multiple machines in a row with little cool down.. YOU are the one fukkin up his circuit :camby: some gyms (real gyms) even have circuit rooms.. this thread is fukkin horrible.. honestly the worst thread ive read on the coli in months and thats saying a lot since I read the arcadium and the locker room a lot :pacspit: