R&B heads, rank these 4 girl groups of the 90s (Total, SWV, En Vogue, Xscape)

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
Xscape was just too southerny gospel to me in all honesty.

And yes you could've plucked any three girls from any random AME church in NYC back in the 80s and got a better singing trio than SWV ... hence why I ranked them after En Vouge.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
En Vogue #1 - because their singing ability made their songs. Even their pop-ish and New Jack tracks where they didn't have to really sing, they killed them. Their vocals are just too powerful. Even in their later albums, when the sound changed and after Dawn skated on them, they were still killin it vocally. They enhanced songs

Xscape #2 - they have the best albums - Hummin Comin At Cha, Off the Hook & Traces of Lipstick - that's an incredible run

SWV #3 - great but not anything special

Total - only had a couple of joints.

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
En Vogue is the only ones in the bunch where each member is a top tier vocalist

Total is the most overrated group of females of all time. They had fire writers and producers, but you could have pulled 3 girls out of any mall and gotten the same product.

Total isn't overrated. I can't say I've seen anyone really rank Total. They had joints, but they definitely weren't a top tier '90's female group. They had a dope run though from '94-'99.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
En Vogue is the only ones in the bunch where each member is a top tier vocalist

Total is the most overrated group of females of all time. They had fire writers and producers, but you could have pulled 3 girls out of any mall and gotten the same product.
very true, but shows the genius of Puffy being an EP and how important that role is (Dre, Puffy, RZA) are the only ones I can think of doing this.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
and yet there's never discussion about them, we do swv, xscape, total conversations all the time, DC get brought up via beyonce dsicussions, and TLC is never discussed
I know destiny's child had a huge album with "the writing's on the wall" but I rank them more as a 2000's group, I identify more with the 3 member version (michelle, kelly, Beyonce) than the other incarnations. I think's that's because Beyonce did her solo debut around the same time as their 2000's run so she was all over the place.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I know destiny's child had a huge album with "the writing's on the wall" but I rank them more as a 2000's group, I identify more with the 3 member version (michelle, kelly, Beyonce) than the other incarnations. I think's that's because Beyonce did her solo debut around the same time as their 2000's run so she was all over the place.
yea, i handicap DC, they benefitted from there being no other female groups by the time they were heavily promoting WOTW. TLC dropped earlier that year and was pretty much done with FanMail by the time DC was just dropping a second single and SWV, Xscape, Total and all the b/c-listers were gone minus 702 who was never top tier. DC also got the TLR stimulus, they crossed over a lot more than the other groups outside of TLC

Last edited: