R&B heads, rank these 4 girl groups of the 90s (Total, SWV, En Vogue, Xscape)

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
yea, i handicap DC, they benefitted from there being no other female groups by the time they were heavily promoting WOTW. TLC dropped earlier that year and was pretty much done with FanMail by the time DC was just dropping a second single and SWV, Xscape, Total and all the b/c-listers were gone minus 702 who was never top tier. they also got the TLR stimulus, they crossed over a lot more than the other groups outside of TLC
702 crossed over more than those groups? Wow never knew that.

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
lol, nah, 702 were scrubs who happened to get lucky with missy hooking them up with some hits
Yeah I've always viewed them as a tier below Total that's why I was confused lol.

Missy either wrote, produced, or was featured with every group, and or members, in the OP except En Vogue :wow:

Edit: I take that back. She was an executive producer for their song "No Fool No More" from the Why Do Fools Falll In Love soundtrack.

Last edited:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
it's not, and it's also laughable you post the version that basically relegates them to nothing more than a feature while Brat, Fox and Kim kill that shyt

and i see this remix and raise you the GOAT

:mjlol:

You pretty much prove my point because you couldn’t even use a song Regardless of features to those other 3 groups

And if you think that Brandy remix with Latifah Yo-Yo & Lyte is better then I have a shirt store in Philadelphia to sell to you

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Cool song, but it isn't even the best version of that song. Let alone being the best song on that album or even the best Total song. It's legendary for reasons that have nothing to do with Total.

:mjtf:cool song … :snoop:

all time song … do u know how much it got play on Hot97 & the Tunnel or any hip hop clubs back in da dayz

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL
En Vogue
SWV
Xscape
Total

En Vogue skill top to bottom, but I listen to SWV more. Shyt probably Xscape too.

Solo_87

All Star
Daps
EnVogue
SWV
Xscape
Total

Based off of talent, albums and impact

Tho Coco sung 90% of the time would still put them above Xscape who you could argue had 2,3 members that could sing lead ....SWV had a greater run

Personally I only really fukk with SWV heavy

Rivoli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SWV
EnVogue
Total
Xscape

I know envogue >>> SWV skill wise and Xscape >>> Total

this just reflects who I listened to more..

BTW total always had some crazy remixes and features..

This should have been a voting thread

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:mjlol:

You pretty much prove my point because you couldn’t even use a song Regardless of features to those other 3 groups

And if you think that Brandy remix with Latifah Yo-Yo & Lyte is better then I have a shirt store in Philadelphia to sell to you
SWV - Anything Wu Tang Remix, Right Here Human Nature Remix, Always on My Mind, Rain, Can We
Xscape - Just Kickin, Who Can I Run To, Cant Hang
En Vogue - Don't Go, Hold On, Free Your Mind, Never Gonna Get It

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
SWV - Anything Wu Tang Remix, Right Here Human Nature Remix, Always on My Mind, Rain, Can We
Xscape - Just Kickin, Who Can I Run To, Cant Hang
En Vogue - Don't Go, Hold On, Free Your Mind, Never Gonna Get It

:yeshrug:

but none of those songs got more play on the radio & in the clubs than “no one else” remix
it is what it is

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

but none of those songs got more play on the radio & in the clubs than “no one else” remix
it is what it is

:dead:

Anything still gets played in the club/college reunions/damn near any multigenerational black function in the same way this is how we do it gets play, Right Here also gets burn and charted 20 spots higher that the OG No One Else
Just Kickin is going to be on 3 out of 5 days in the noon throwback hour, also charted 20 spots higher
and En Vogue has 8 songs that charted higher than No One Else, let alone the Remix

That song didn't get more radio play nor does it have the same legs/throwback spins :camby:

I mean, you must be on Bad Boy's payroll cuz you can still spit completely wrong facts in support of NY by stanning SWV

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dead:

Anything still gets played in the club/college reunions/damn near any multigenerational black function in the same way this is how we do it gets play, Right Here also gets burn and charted 20 spots higher that the OG No One Else
Just Kickin is going to be on 3 out of 5 days in the noon throwback hour, also charted 20 spots higher
and En Vogue has 8 songs that charted higher than No One Else, let alone the Remix

That song didn't get more radio play nor does it have the same legs/throwback spins :camby:

I mean, you must be on Bad Boy's payroll cuz you can still spit completely wrong facts in support of NY by sticking to the facts on SWV

I don't even know how anyone could spin the "No One Else" into this huge song when it wasn't. It might've gotten massive play in the Tunnel. Still, that song is really only known for being the only official song to feature Lil' Kim and Foxy on the same track and the same video.