Purge 3: Election year (Official Thread)

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
How could you forget, "There's a bunch of violent Negros approaching. And we're sitting here like a bucket of chicken."

:snoop:

Breh I literally bout got out my seat and smacked this muhfukka who was laughing at that shyt way after the fact....I got loud and said some shyt about if I catch a white person outside trying to be funny with this shyt I was gonna go off and he looked back and shut the fukk up...

Anyway the movie got away from being a horror movie to an action movie...and the main plot was weak to me...1 star

*Edit* I forgot to mention how fukking wack those teen girls were....especially the main girl....so much fukking wack acting skills on display...

Spin

All Star
Daps
Part 2 was so much better to me than this. The only reason I came out for part 3 was off the strength of 2. I will say the movie wasn't "boring", but there wasn't anything that made you feel a sense of urgency. That candy girl was one of the worst things I have seen in recent movie memory. The NFFA angle could of worked if they built a villain character that we actually gave a damn about. That preachy politician was weak.

I have to James Demonaco credit though, he found a niche to make cheap movies that have sold very well. The horror/thriller genre with a twist seems like a real profitable area.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Haven't seen it yet, but everyones issues echo the same thoughts I had, as soon as I saw the preview.....Action, not horror, concept is overblown, instead of keeping it isolated and small. Typical, so much overkill ruins any suspense or tension.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Part 2 was so much better to me than this. The only reason I came out for part 3 was off the strength of 2. I will say the movie wasn't "boring", but there wasn't anything that made you feel a sense of urgency. That candy girl was one of the worst things I have seen in recent movie memory. The NFFA angle could of worked if they built a villain character that we actually gave a damn about. That preachy politician was weak.

I have to James Demonaco credit though, he found a niche to make cheap movies that have sold very well. The horror/thriller genre with a twist seems like a real profitable area.
I mean in general its a low budget "fun" movie,so you dont go in expecting much. In all reality this has the budget of a TV show probably. Based on the ending, I think the next one could be very interesting.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I mean in general its a low budget "fun" movie,so you dont go in expecting much. In all reality this has the budget of a TV show probably. Based on the ending, I think the next one could be very interesting.
It only cost $10 million to make and pulled in $30 million this weekend. So we will definitely be getting a fourth movie.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The reason The Purge works it has an INCREDIBLE CONCEPT that unfortunately doesn't have A level execution. Part 2 was good. Part 3 looked good trailer wise, but you guys says it's shytty which is disappointing. Hopefully the 4th one will be executed at a high level.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I enjoy this series for what they are, yet remain a bit disappointed that they aren't as awesome as they could be. I'm still in for whatever's next though :yeshrug:

I'm hoping the turn it back a bit and do a year-one prequel. I'd love to see how they envision this idea evolving in a society.

Black Samurai

Kill or Be Killed
Daps
Reppin
California
The reason The Purge works it has an INCREDIBLE CONCEPT that unfortunately doesn't have A level execution. Part 2 was good. Part 3 looked good trailer wise, but you guys says it's shytty which is disappointing. Hopefully the 4th one will be executed at a high level.

Its still entertaining. The horror aspect is pretty much non existent now. Mostly just an action movie made for the masses now. Think of it as the adult version of The Hunger Games.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its still entertaining. The horror aspect is pretty much non existent now. Mostly just an action movie made for the masses now. Think of it as the adult version of The Hunger Games.

Exactly. That's why I think it has a big fanbase. It taps into people's primal instincts. And just like The Walking Dead, people can easily identify with the situation, and imagine what they would do and how they would survive. The premise alone is worth millions of dollars. I'm glad to see the writer/director being rewarded for coming up withe idea. Hopefully he aims for higher quality of the films, though.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm in the theater right now watching this. This shyt is trash trash trash, for so many reasons.
I should pull a track1 and walk out this shyt. 0/5 stars.

Update: walked out after the c00n ass "I ain't gonna let you kill these white people" line. :snoop:
so you basically sat through the whole movie?:mjlol:
there are maybe 20 min left after that part.:martin:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Saw this today....It's so effective in some parts in terms of creative costume design and an atmosphere of dread, chaos, and depravity, the visuals are often gruesome and resonate far more then the rest of the movie.....Unfortunately, the rest of the movie, which takes up 85% of the time ranges from insulting to average, veering from offensive to laughable sentiment in a single frame. I love the continued vocalization and depiction of the struggle of the classes, I do think the movie goes far too close to simply mocking the underclass and glamorizing their butchery at the hands of the 1%. It needs a new writer, and someone to guide the franchise back to the kind of lower key horror and terror that the 2nd was so effective in creating. This whole new shift into Hunger Games territory is stripping the franchise of what made it an intriguing and innovative concept in the first place.

I also want to say the movie creates almost a war between races, of which the whites are shows to be the losers, yet the films own writing, and direction speak to a more subversive battle being clearly lost. I loved that actor in Justified, and as an actor he shines here, but he is forced to spit out line after line of ugly, demeaning racial cliches.....This movie emits a lot of whats wring with the industry.

*I just think about p*ssy and waffles (reinforcing a very ugly stereotype, which yes, exists, (as in members of all races who are uninformed, uninterested in politics, progression, etc, and are teh reason why in part things like The Purge and Donald Trump can exist) but is shown here without nuance, and clearly comic relief)

* Don't sneak up on black folks

* There's a bunch of negroes coming, and we sitting here like a box of fried chicken

* My neegro (towards the end)

Those were the ones I remembered clearest, embarrassing, hackneyed lines that reflect a real ugliness in Hollywood. Also, the 'Candy Girl', a potentially troubling character, seemed to be very much at times both badly acted, and trafficking in stereotypes as well.

Also the interplay between Grillo and Dixon was just unneeded, and clearly setting up a harmonious relationship between black and white men of action.

As far as other plot holes and observations:

*Why would they not just kill the four girls coming out of the car.....

*The Mexican characters backstory and persona was also cliched and insulting, on a few levels.

*Frank Grillo's relentless approach to being a badass was a bit much after the first few scenes

* Just walking into the room and pulling guns on everyone

Last edited: