Purge 3: Election year (Official Thread)

Thingsfallapart

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw this today....It's so effective in some parts in terms of creative costume design and an atmosphere of dread, chaos, and depravity, the visuals are often gruesome and resonate far more then the rest of the movie.....Unfortunately, the rest of the movie, which takes up 85% of the time ranges from insulting to average, veering from offensive to laughable sentiment in a single frame. I love the continued vocalization and depiction of the struggle of the classes, I do think the movie goes far too close to simply mocking the underclass and glamorizing their butchery at the hands of the 1%. It needs a new writer, and someone to guide the franchise back to the kind of lower key horror and terror that the 2nd was so effective in creating. This whole new shift into Hunger Games territory is stripping the franchise of what made it an intriguing and innovative concept in the first place.

I also want to say the movie creates almost a war between races, of which the whites are shows to be the losers, yet the films own writing, and direction speak to a more subversive battle being clearly lost. I loved that actor in Justified, and as an actor he shines here, but he is forced to spit out line after line of ugly, demeaning racial cliches.....This movie emits a lot of whats wring with the industry.

*I just think about p*ssy and waffles (reinforcing a very ugly stereotype, which yes, exists, but is shown here without nuance, and clearly comic relief)

* There's a bunch of negroes coming, and we sitting here like a box of fried chicken

* My neegro (towards the end)

Those were the ones I remembered clearest, embarrassing, hackneyed lines that reflect a real ugliness in Hollywood. Also, the 'Candy Girl', a potentially troubling character, seemed to be very much at times both badly acted, and trafficking in stereotypes as well.

Also the interplay between Grillo and Dixon was just unneeded, and clearly setting up a harmonious relationship between black and white men of action.

As far as other plot holes and observations:

*Why would they not just kill the four girls coming out of the car.....

*The Mexican characters backstory and persona was also cliched and insulting, on a few levels.

*Frank Grillo's relentless approach to being a badass was a bit much after the first few scenes

* Just walking into the room and pulling guns on everyone
and at every line all the white people in the theater were just GUFFAWING at that corniness. :snoop:

Gospel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
6 Mile
Each Purge movie is getting better than the last.

Basically blonde female Bernie Sanders has to make it till sunup.

The bucket of chicken line:martin: yeah that one was a little too far.

My favorite was the them little highschoolers with the Afro puffs. Not sure if they were annoying and corny or entertaining.

She needs acting lessons. Badly. And her titties was kinda huge
.:sitdown::whoa:

After the ending the next one is either gonna have to be
a civil war or over in the UK

Pitfalls0117

Invokana Trump
Daps
Reppin
NJ->BOS->DC
I like the political angle, with the white fascist ruling class and the panther-esque resistance movement. Of course the plot throws the black revolutionaries under the bus by making them submissive to this absolutely moronic white woman who does the whole bullshyt white savior routine.

The teenage girls were atrocious. I don't mind that it wasn't scary at all and mostly action, but a lot of the posts here are right in saying that some of the dialogue is really fukking bad and cringeworthy, especially with the non white characters.

I don't mind if the movie is trashy, vulgar, pulpy, but I wish the writers didn't ignore the potentially revolutionary political angles that boil under the surface.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
first movie i walked out of :wow:

i mean, i enjoyed the black feminist agenda gettin crushed by the patriarchy, but when breh said some c00n shyt bout nikkas comin for chicken, i bounced. i was sittin between cacs and a group of blacks, and they both laughed too loud for my taste

Hope

God's Grace
Daps
Reppin
NYC
had no desire to see it. own one and two. thought both were cool and chilling, but also don't remember much from them.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it was good me and wifey love these movies each one keep getting better I would just wish they wouldn't just focus on 1 story line and just go into the fantasy of being able to kill for 12 hours but it was good and this my fav scene

i really didn't get it. what was her hard on for a random black guy trying to run a business. to me, it felt like a metaphor for black feminism against "the good BM" :jbhmm:

brother walt

GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
i really didn't get it. what was her hard on for a random black guy trying to run a business. to me, it felt like a metaphor for black feminism against "the good BM" :jbhmm:

she was crazy she killed her own parents she didn't like being told no I guess bruh

brother walt

GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
MV5BMjQyMDE4NDMyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzE1MjYyOTE@._V1_.jpg