PS5 to lack backwards compatibility

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
It's not that people don't care, it's just that it's not a huge issue as some gamers try to make it out to be. PS4 BC is important because it's still active and lots of games have active MP communities/content that's not going to stop because of a new console so not having PS4 BC would be stupid.

PS3 BC and older would be great as well but it's not a deal breaker like not having it would cause me to second guess purchasing a PS5. If it had it, cool, don't have it? Cool, I wasn't itching to play many PS3 games as they already were remastered anyway. Almost every big 360/PS3 game was remastered for both platforms.
Right here is where I don't follow the argument. On one hand it's why get a new console to play old games, the on the other it's wanting back compat to keep playing PS4 games. They already got their PS4 right? So there shouldn't be a problem if we stay with that reasoning.

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
*just finished playing R: Racing Evolution on PCSX2*

Y'all heard something?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
These things take money, manpower and resources to do properly - Playstation think their time and effort is better spent elsewhere. Simple as that.
Did Sony say that or are you covering up for him again girl? You better leave that man umm hmmm
I guess I'm just old and don't give a fukk, because when I was a kid I didn't care that my SNES couldn't play NES games and so on...:yeshrug:
You couldn't care because it wasn't an option for you to have a feeling about it. But if there was a version that played both I bet you'd of been thrilled to have it. Especially if they was enhanced with next gen features like they doing on xbox but feel free to leave that out of your hypothetical equation. nikkaz lying to themselves hypothetically n shyt :wow:

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
Did Sony say that or are you covering up for him again girl? You better leave that man umm hmmm

You couldn't care because it wasn't an option for you to have a feeling about it. But if there was a version that played both I bet you'd of been thrilled to have it. Especially if they was enhanced with next gen features like they doing on xbox but feel free to leave that out of your hypothetical equation. nikkaz lying to themselves hypothetically n shyt :wow:
:gucci:

nikka the only system I'm even playing right now is Xbox One, I just don't really care about the feature so it's not a selling point to me.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
:gucci:

nikka the only system I'm even playing right now is Xbox One, I just don't really care about the feature so it's not a selling point to me.
That's cool but that's sad. I've played plenty of games and I've not played plenty more. Both consoles give free games each month and that combined with gamepass means there's a lifetime worth of gaming you don't even know if you'll like or not. You wanna be the impulse gamer and flock to shyt just because it's new is illogical imo. Even the launch titles for either system are nothing to make you abandon all gaming that came before it :stop:

Why can't you just enjoy all that shyt instead of limiting yourself to just a new title? Now if you played everything this gen has to offer then ignore this. Otherwise, gears 5 4k/120fps with next gen features enabled is better than buying a fukkin remaster. Your tripping but I love you anyway :handshake:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Right here is where I don't follow the argument. On one hand it's why get a new console to play old games, the on the other it's wanting back compat to keep playing PS4 games. They already got their PS4 right? So there shouldn't be a problem if we stay with that reasoning.
Nah, you mixing up the argument. It's why get a new console solely to play old games with the same old controller and same features(this applies really to XSX.)

If someone gets a PS5 at launch, they're most likely going to have a backlog of recent current gen games and with many of them offering next gen upgrades, it makes the transition easier.
Fortnite, COD, Cyberpunk, Avengers, Destiny 2, Fallguys, FFVIIR, GOT, TLOU2 etc. are still recent and will all likely get PS5 upgrades for free(cept COD).

You're getting upgrades to existing games vs just keeping a PS4 that doesn't do anything new.

This doesn't even include the new games and exclusives. Xbox fans are vocal about backwards compatible games for last gen(X360) and the gen before that that have already seen upgrades on Xbox One X. It ain't like there's going to be another huge upgrade to this titles.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why do y’all keep saying you don’t care about backwards compatibility but then in the same breathe say “as long as ps4 games work on it I’m good!” :gucci:
Let me guess, the same people that joke about everyone being broke are going to “trade in” their PS4 to get the ps5?
Because PS4 BC has been officially confirmed and people are talking about PS1~PS3 BC which is what the article in the OP was talking about? I feel like y'all playing dumb.:francis:

If you know PS4 titles will work on there and many games will get free next gen upgrades, why wouldn't PS4 BC be important? There's games literally coming out this week as well as in the next two months for PS4 that will still be in rotation come November(Tony Hawk, Avengers, Crash 4) and them getting a PS5 patch sweetens the deal.

It's literally getting so called "Free remasters" on PS5, the same shyt you couldn't stop applauding MSFT for this gen for older titles.

Last edited:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Damn, I was shoe gonna pick up Socom 2. Might just have to get a PS2

They should've had a $700 Console with the tech, I would've bought it

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Why buy a PS5 to play games from older generations? Shyt makes no sense

Sony Stan's are nuts.

No wonder yall have no problem with the company.

I guess it only matters when other companies don't or do, do it.

And neither does the premise of your question. Nobody is buying the next console to solely play those older games. If you got rid of your PS, PS2, or PS3, or they up and start working but you really want to play one of those games, you're shyt out of luck.

Pretty lame. Needing to play via cloud or through remasters sucks.

Its a "feature" though isnt it moron :krs:

And a valuable one as many poster have explained in here

Again:

Support less console features on an already inferior console due to brand loyalty brehs :blessed:

They had an excuse because of the cell processor for PS3 games.

Ps4 is x86. No excuses

This is one of those features that a lot of people complain about but nobody uses.

I don’t buy a new system to play old games, last generation and connectivity is needed sure ...

But other than that , I’m done with those old ass games.

A lot of console gamers are cheap. Y'all seem what happened with a $600 PS3, broke boys mad as hell.

Sony gotta keep costs down to satisfy the scrubs, backwards compatibility is one of those features:manny:

Barlow

He,Him,Nigguh
Daps
The only explanation I can think of is dudes don't actually like the games they're playing. Sounds like some people only want back compat for one generation because they didn't finish playing their PS4 library. One and done :francis:. If you ain't wanted to pop in a Destrega, or Soul Blade, or a Simpsons Hit and Run and take a walk through memory lane, you must have something wrong with you:yeshrug:. Ain't nobody buying new consoles to solely play old games, but it's good to be able to when you get the urge.
I guess there’s something wrong with me then because I never have the urge to play something I’ve beaten years ago. I play old games I never played before but aside from that, no. Life is short, time is precious, and there’s so much access to so many games these days. I want to experience what I can. I don’t even rewatch movies and tv like that unless I really love it. Doesn’t mean I don’t like the game, just means I want something else to like now.

:yeshrug:

This isn’t me caping for Sony. I’m happy with BC if I can play ps4 games i haven’t gotten to yet. If that wasn’t there I’d be perturbed.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
If I play old games like that, but I just boot up my PC. Why be so pressed that Sony isn't providing BC options past 1 generation?:yeshrug: use the options you got if you are really pressed to play. Hardware degrades, licenses and source code disappear, digital copies are bound by their platforms, but emulation is forever.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
Nah, you mixing up the argument. It's why get a new console solely to play old games with the same old controller and same features(this applies really to XSX.)

If someone gets a PS5 at launch, they're most likely going to have a backlog of recent current gen games and with many of them offering next gen upgrades, it makes the transition easier.
Fortnite, COD, Cyberpunk, Avengers, Destiny 2, Fallguys, FFVIIR, GOT, TLOU2 etc. are still recent and will all likely get PS5 upgrades for free(cept COD).

You're getting upgrades to existing games vs just keeping a PS4 that doesn't do anything new.

This doesn't even include the new games and exclusives. Xbox fans are vocal about backwards compatible games for last gen(X360) and the gen before that that have already seen upgrades on Xbox One X. It ain't like there's going to be another huge upgrade to this titles.
So 4k/120fps gears and Ori isn't a huge upgrade :usure:
And the Xbox series x was designed to enhance previous gen titles. The series x is designed to take that a step further. The ps5 isn't designed to enhance previous gen titles in such a way, they made it clear only a select few would receive any enhancements (what is it 100?) Y'all don't even have backwards compatibility past ps4 which proves they not the masters of shyt, can't even get their own shyt to run on their own shyt. Meanwhile on Xbox.

Tru Story
Aww man now I'll just have to play the superior games on the superior system only:mjcry:

I will have to play my PS3 games that I don't even think about only on my ps3:mjlol:
Name the Superior equivalent to fight night on PS4 or PS5 :popcorn: