PROMETHEUS Sequel Moving Forward

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
The Space Jockeys were originally biomechanical beings with creepy alien elephant facial features, the body you see in Alien was it's actual body, in Prometheus they changed it to be the equlivalent of a space suit :snoop: and the Jockeys became generic bald headed human looking dudes to tie in with the "human creator/creators of life" mumbo jumbo. Terrible decision to do that.
Ridley Scott NEVER said that was their body dude.

It is suggested by Ridley Scott in the director commentary to the film that the Space Jockey's ship was an "aircraft carrier or battlewagon of a civilization, and the eggs were a cargo which were essentially weapons. Like a large form of bacterialogical/biomechanoid warfare." The eggs, which are kept in the ship's hold, could presumably be dropped on an enemy planet, and the Aliens would proceed to kill the population as they spawned. "The Space Jockey was...the driver of the craft who is now, after many ages...has started to look like a perfect example of...where does biology end and technology begin, because he seems to have grafted...into what essentially was...a pilot's seat. But clearly from here, this is where the communication attempt would emanate from probably in an automatic transmission. So this creature obviously had experienced, maybe one of the eggs had been disturbed and a creature had got out, had attacked the rest of the crew...but let's say he was a part of the civilization he came from and now had melded into his seat."

In a 2011 interview with Filmophilia.com, director Ridley Scott revealed that Space Jockey in Alien is actually a suit containing the being (which is never shown)

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Ridley Scott changed all that shyt recently breh. "Alien" came out in '79, the OG design of the Engineers was giant elephant looking creatures. He didn't start talking that "it's a suit" shyt until 30 years later. The OG Engineers ain't even the same size as the ones in "Prometheus":

space-jockey-in-ridley-scotts-alien.jpg

As you can see they're easily 12+ feet tall in "Alien".

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Matter of fact in the '92 book "Aliens: Earth Hive" they're referred to as "elephant men". Also the OG design by Giger was an elephant-like creature called "the pilot", not a guy in a space suit.

Fred.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Matter of fact in the '92 book "Aliens: Earth Hive" they're referred to as "elephant men". Also the OG design by Giger was an elephant-like creature called "the pilot", not a guy in a space suit.

Fred.
If it's how Ridley Scott intended then that's what I'll accept, it makes sense with all the religious themes, we're made in the image of our creators. It is cool to see all the alien mythos though.

That first quote I posted is from the commentary for Alien though, so it was filmed around that time and he talks about them grafting into the pilot seat. I always thought it was a suit when I watched it, the mask looks like an oxygen mask or some shyt

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

H.R Giger originally drew it as a creature, Scott liked it, adapted it and that's what it was in the first film a dead fossilised alien creature. Notice how it had a similar structural resemblance to the Xenomorph. It wasn't until Prometheus where it was retconned and changed to be a space suit. Look at the size difference between the one in Alien and the rest of them in Prometheus.

alien_sj.jpg

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
H.R Giger originally drew it as a creature, Scott liked it, adapted it and that's what it was in the first film a dead fossilised alien creature. Notice how it had a similar structural resemblance to the Xenomorph. It wasn't until Prometheus where it was retconned and changed to be a space suit. Look at the size difference between the one in Alien and the rest of them in Prometheus.

alien_sj.jpg
I stand corrected, but I don't really have a problem with Ridley changing it, it's his universe and it makes more sense with what he was trying to convey in prometheus

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If it's how Ridley Scott intended then that's what I'll accept, it makes sense with all the religious themes, we're made in the image of our creators. It is cool to see all the alien mythos though.

That first quote I posted is from the commentary for Alien though, so it was filmed around that time and he talks about them grafting into the pilot seat. I always thought it was a suit when I watched it, the mask looks like an oxygen mask or some shyt

The first quote doesn't say it's a guy in a suit though. It says you're supposed to look at the creature and wonder where the creature begins and where the chair ends, because it looks like he's grafted to it. And in the OG Giger design, he's literally connected to the chair.

Pilot-by-giger.jpg

All this other shyt about "ohh they created humans, they look like us" is new. Matter of fact, they stole that shyt from "At The Mountains of Madness", so I can't even give them credit for that.

Fred.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
The first quote doesn't say it's a guy in a suit though. It says you're supposed to look at the creature and wonder where the creature begins and where the chair ends, because it looks like he's grafted to it. And in the OG Giger design, he's literally connected to the chair.

Pilot-by-giger.jpg

All this other shyt about "ohh they created humans, they look like us" is new. Matter of fact, they stole that shyt from "At The Mountains of Madness", so I can't even give them credit for that.

Fred.
true, I was just reading about that. Have you read the book? Is it worth reading?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
true, I was just reading about that. Have you read the book? Is it worth reading?

It's definitely worth reading. H.P. Lovecraft fathered so much shyt in modern sci-fi/horror it's ridiculous. Dude was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of his time. To put it into perspective "At The Mountains of Madness" was written in 1931....nobody was writing that type of shyt in 1931, it was unheard of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_mountains_of_madness

The story is told in first-person perspective by the geologist William Dyer, a professor at Miskatonic University. He writes to disclose hitherto unknown and closely kept secrets in the hope that he can deter a planned and much publicized scientific expedition to Antarctica. On a previous expedition there, scholars from Miskatonic University led by Dyer discovered fantastic and horrific ruins and a dangerous secret beyond a range of mountains higher than the Himalayas. A smaller advance group, led by Professor Lake, discovered and crossed the mountains and found the remains of fourteen ancient life forms, completely unknown to science and unidentifiable as either plants or animals. Six of the specimens are badly damaged and the others uncannily pristine. Their highly evolved features are problematic: their stratum location puts them at a point on the geologic time scale much too early for such features to have naturally evolved.

When the main expedition loses contact with Lake's party, Dyer and the rest of his colleagues travel to their last known location to investigate. Lake's camp is devastated, and both the men and the dogs slaughtered, while a man named Gedney and another dog are unaccounted for. Near the camp they find six star-shaped snow mounds, and one specimen buried under each. They discover that the better preserved life forms have vanished, and that some form of dissection experiment has been done on an unnamed man and a dog. Dyer elects to close off the area from which they took their samples.

Dyer and a graduate student named Danforth fly an airplane over the mountains, which they soon realize are the outer walls of a huge, abandoned stone city of cubes and cones, utterly alien compared with any human architecture. Because of their resemblance to creatures of myth mentioned in the Necronomicon, the builders of this lost civilization are dubbed the "Elder Things". By exploring these fantastic structures, the men are able to learn the history of the Elder Things through interpreting their magnificent hieroglyphic murals: The Elder Things first came to Earth shortly after the Moon was pulled loose from the planet and were the creators of life. They built their cities with the help of "Shoggoths", biological entities created to perform any task, assume any form, and reflect any thought. As more buildings are explored, a fantastic vista opens of the history of races beyond the scope of man's understanding, including the Elder Things' conflicts with the Star-spawn of Cthulhu and the Mi-go, who arrived on Earth some time after the Elder Things themselves. The images also reflect a degradation in the order of this civilization, as the Shoggoths gain independence. As more resources are applied to maintaining order, the etchings become haphazard and primitive. The murals also allude to some unnamed evil in an even larger mountain range just past their city, which even they fear greatly. Eventually, as Antarctica became uninhabitable even for the Elder Things, they migrated into a large, subterranean ocean.

Dyer and Danforth eventually realize they are not alone in the city. The Elder Things missing from the advance party's camp had somehow returned to life and, after slaughtering the explorers, returned to the city of their origin. Dyer and Danforth discover traces of the Elder Things' earlier exploration, as well as sledges containing the corpses of Gedney and the dog missing from the camp.

As the two progress further into the city, they are ultimately drawn to a massive ominous entrance which is the opening of a tunnel which they believe leads into the subterranean region described in the murals. Compulsively they are drawn in, finding further horrors: evidence of dead Elder Things killed in a brutal struggle, and blind six-foot-tall penguins wandering around placidly, apparently as livestock for the unknown forms of life which lurked inside the subterranean abyss. They are then confronted with an immense, ululating horror in the form of a black, bubbling mass, which after a brief glimpse they identify as a Shoggoth. Danforth and Dyer escape with their lives using luck and diversion. Aboard the plane high above the plateau, Danforth looks back and sees something that causes him to lose his sanity. He refuses to tell anyone (even Dyer) what he saw, though it is implied that it has something to do with what lies beyond the larger mountain range that even the Elder Things feared.

Professor Dyer concludes that the Elder Things only slaughtered the survivors and dogs out of scientific curiosity at their new surroundings, and their civilization was eventually destroyed by the Shoggoths they created, and that this entity has sustained itself on the enormous penguins since eons past. He begs the planners of the next proposed Antarctic expedition to stay away from things that should not be loosed on the Earth.

Fred.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
the engineers werent supposed to be elephants, nor were they supposed to be humanoid. they were weird looking things. comic book dudes took liberties and made it some elephant looking shyt.

http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer

"In the comics, the Jockey is shown to have an elephantine trunk. This is inconsistent with the original concept. An inspection of the concept art done by H.R. Giger, shows that the "trunk" is supposed to be an air hose and there is a helmet surrounding the Jockey's head. Tploopyhis is also supported by the fact that soft tissue such as elephant trunks do not fossilize. This does not leave out the possibility of a different kind of trunk, but the one depicted in the comics is very much like an elephant's. None of the works depicting the Jockey with a "trunk" are considered canon - the only canon appearance of the Space Jockey is in Alien and its novelisation and directly related works."

would have been way iller if it wasnt some big pale dude. but some cthulu looking shyt

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
the engineers werent supposed to be elephants, nor were they supposed to be humanoid. they were weird looking things. comic book dudes took liberties and made it some elephant looking shyt.

http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer

"In the comics, the Jockey is shown to have an elephantine trunk. This is inconsistent with the original concept. An inspection of the concept art done by H.R. Giger, shows that the "trunk" is supposed to be an air hose and there is a helmet surrounding the Jockey's head. Tploopyhis is also supported by the fact that soft tissue such as elephant trunks do not fossilize. This does not leave out the possibility of a different kind of trunk, but the one depicted in the comics is very much like an elephant's. None of the works depicting the Jockey with a "trunk" are considered canon - the only canon appearance of the Space Jockey is in Alien and its novelisation and directly related works."

would have been way iller if it wasnt some big pale dude. but some cthulu looking shyt

I'm not talking about the comics. A canon book from '92 refers to them as "elephant men" or "elephant-like creatures". The original Giger art is an elephant-like creature. The close-up of the "space jockey" from the original movie is clearly an elephant-like creature, not an air-hose or whatever Ridley Scott retconned into "Prometheus".

I understand that people like "Prometheus" but none of that shyt was originally in the "Alien" universe.

Fred.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I'm not talking about the comics. A canon book from '92 refers to them as "elephant men" or "elephant-like creatures". The original Giger art is an elephant-like creature. The close-up of the "space jockey" from the original movie is clearly an elephant-like creature, not an air-hose or whatever Ridley Scott retconned into "Prometheus".

I understand that people like "Prometheus" but none of that shyt was originally in the "Alien" universe.

Fred.

liking or disliking the shyt has nothing to do with it.

it wasnt an elephant or a humanoid, i'm a giger stan. it was a biotech. when ridley and giger first came up with the prop, ridley was flipping thro necronom and was just picking shyt. none of that shyt is an elephant, its all just weird cthulu, biomech shyt. ridley ass just wipped up wtf it really was when he need some more dough and decided to make prometheus.

good day

TheArchitect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Prometheus went hard as shyt, personally...It has me curious as to know more about the Engineers and everything else.

I'm REALLY curious as to what happens to Earth...they always talk about it like it's the worth place to be in the Alien movies....