Professor Emeritus: "Kobe was never clearly the best in any season of his career"

Was Kobe ever clearly the best player in the league?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because they were peers.

Again....the idea that Kobe was considered the clear cut best player in the league is a lie that many of you using the passing of time are filling the gap with revisionist history. It was a clear debate around who was the best player in the league around that titime.
Put down the obtuse act. Yea there were people that debated it, but they were mostly haters. Kobe was the consensus best player in the league from atleast 06-09

darryl

Superstar
Daps
2005-2007 it was clear cut kobe. After that, lebron was right on him and could be argued was better just didn't have the rings yet.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
How was he not the best player in 2006?
Look at all the blown 3-1 leads in NBA history, and tell me which one of the teams that lost a 3-1 lead, had the best player in basketball?

Then come back and tell me why '06 Kobe deserves an exception...

The best player in the world isnt blowing 3-1 leads. This is really simple. You win 3 of 4, you can win the series barring a catastrophic injury to critical players. You have 3 games to just win one more, the best player in the world on a team up 3-1 can do that...

Mind you, this is also the year after Y9, 26-year old, mid-prime Kobe played 66 games and led the Lakers to 34 wins and a missed postseason. The best player in the world isn't doing that either...

2005 and 2006 are outta here, absolutely fukking not. And certainly no year before these years. He was growing and knocking on the door of that title but he wasnt there yet...

Duncan and Dirk have the strongest arguments in those years, as well as '07, though I give '07 to Kobe, I don't think there was ever a year Dirk was actually a better player than Kobe or Duncan. And by '07 Duncan was still elite but not "best guy alive" elite...
Nobody else has an argument during that stretch breh and I hate the Lakers. :manny:
'06 and '07 you could absolutely argue Dirk or Duncan. '08 I think was firmly Kobe but it's the first year you can make a credible case for LeBron...

Bruh, there is no year of his career that Kobe was head and shoulders clear of anyone else for this title. There was always at least one other guy with a claim to this and some years more than one...

Basketball heads have always conflated Kobe's popularity with his actual weight...
How was he not the best 2008-2010?

LeGBT is the WOAT
2010 is very, very questionable. Kobe was falling from that perch, LeBron was still ascending. Very questionable...
💯!

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
it’s not that crazy of a take.

Throughout his career you always had, Duncan, Dirk, Nash, wade, Shaq, Bron, Garnett, etc being put up as the best player in the league.

I don’t remember a period where Kobe was on that indisputable best player level we’ve seen from guys like Jordan or even Bron at points.
Kobe was never at the heights Bron and Mike peaked...

His popularity reached a new level with his '06 scoring blitz...

nikkas in here claim there was no one in the conversation in '06, when I very clearly remember an SI or other sports mag highlighting Duncan in Summer 2005, putting him on the "how high can he climb" watch. That was the summer going into the 2005-06 season, you don't fall from best player alive to out of the convo from one season to the next...

The OP premise are Kobe "clearly" being the best player alive, there is no year it was clear cut. '06 also saw Dirk and Wade throw their name into the hat too...

Daps
From 2004-2005 season to the 2009-2010 season Kobe Bean Bryant averaged

29/6/5 with 1.6 steals per game

During those 6 years he….
Won 2 championships
Won 2 fmvps
Won 1 mvp
Won 2 scoring titles
Had 19-50 point games
55-40 point games

His averages also rose during the playoffs.

Oh yea, the worst team Kobe faced during his championship run was the 49 win thunder team.

It don’t matter what you nikkas think. These are facts. There was no one as dominant during that stretch.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
From 2005-2007 at the bare minimum we can say Kobe was the “consensus” best

I’m trying to find the YouTube video, it was like 10 minutes long. Players in real time during those years praising Kobe like a mythical figure

Amare during Nash’s mvp run calling Kobe the best player in the league :mjlol:

Every big name player in the league co-signing it

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
The hilarious thing is that this clearly describes Kobe stans. They talk about Gasol like he was ass and bring up smush parker to excuse Kobe missing the playoffs in his prime followed by two first round exits. One of which he blew a 3-1 lead and quit the second of game 7.

It's crazy how posters can be normal in some forums but mentally ill in others. Stick to talking about cinema my man.

CantStop

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The hilarious thing is that this clearly describes Kobe stans. They talk about Gasol like he was ass and bring up smush parker to excuse Kobe missing the playoffs in his prime followed by two first round exits. One of which he blew a 3-1 lead and quit the second of game 7.

Why would we bring up smush Parker in a year that he wasn’t even on the team when we missed the playoffs dumbass?

Stick to being a film geek