Professor Emeritus: "Kobe was never clearly the best in any season of his career"

Was Kobe ever clearly the best player in the league?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
The issue with this argument as that it uses the qualifier of "CLEARLY" better to lessen the impact of Kobe being the best (AKA "he's the best but was he CLEARLY THE BeSt tHouGh?")

And you know he doesn't like to use that qualifier for LeBron, because there's several years where lebron was not CLEARLY the best in the league. 2014-2016, 2019, 2021-2023. Etc. Lebron was not CLEARLY better than anyone in those years either.
To be fair, he’d still win there as a LeBron stan if he did. LeBron got the most of those type of years this century so far. I think Jokic may have 1 or 2. I don’t think Giannis or Steph, two two time MVPs, have any for example.

As evidenced by this thread, it’s hard to lock down who was like that in the mid 2000s. For LeBron, you can safely give him the Miami run and I’d say the last few years in Cleveland.

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
That's your problem.
You don't seem to understand that there's a difference between who is viewed as the best player in a season, and who IS the best player in a season.

Are you arguing that Dirk was better than Kobe in 2006 and 2007? Im lost? Because this would be the 2nd time in my life ive seen somebody debate this, and they’re both in this thread.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Are you arguing that Dirk was better than Kobe in 2006 and 2007? Im lost? Because this would be the 2nd time in my life ive seen somebody debate this, and they’re both in this thread.
Dirk was as valuable as Kobe during the 2005-2006 season. The difference was negligible. Either one would have been a fine MVP had they won it.

The point is, it's silly to argue that either of them was head and shoulders above their peers.

If you want to talk about public perception, which introduces all sorts of biases...that's something else.

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I agree 2005-2008 Kobe was the best player imo.

Additionally, the “big deal” in 2008 was Kobe joining the Olympic team. They didn’t make that commotion over anyone else. People were thinking they were going to get embarrassed again before he joined.
:skip:

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Dirk was as valuable as Kobe during the 2005-2006 season. The difference was negligible. Either one would have been a fine MVP had they won it.

The point is, it's silly to argue that either of them was head and shoulders above their peers.

If you want to talk about public perception, which introduces all sorts of biases...that's something else.

THE 2006 LAKERS DONT EVEN WIN 15 GAMES WIT DIRK IN PLACE OF KOBE U RETARDED DUNCE

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
This is why I have no respect for Bron stans.

If you follow their posts on here, every thing they do is try to tear down greatness of other players and achievements. They don't want any other greatness to be acknowledged other than Bron. They try to undermine literally everything in basketball to fit their narrative, right down to underrating Bron's team mates, and overrating other GOATs team mates.

They do this with Jordan, Kobe, Wilt, Magic, 90s basketball, and immediately start shytting on current players who look like threats to Bron's winning

It's such a miserable view of basketball. Everything filtered through one basketball player. They ain't even basketball fans, they're Bron fans. It's disgusting :scust:
Crackers like this will bytch and moan about every thing Lebron does (no matter how innocuous) but clutch their pearls when folks return a fraction of the same energy to the players they dikkride :mjlol: