Prodigy (R.I.P.) - The Hegelian Dialectic (Part 2: The Book Of Heroine) (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Yo why isn't this stickied?

OK just got through my first listen and I like it alot. Is it HNIC good? Absolutely not but shout out to Joe the Engine Ear for putting these tracks together for us Prodigy fans. It is just really nice to hear P's voice again on tracks I wish ALC and Hav would have helped put this together it's weird they haven't even mentioned it yet.

This album reminds me of that last Gang Starr album Premo pieced together with those unreleased Guru lyrics. The production sounds more like HNIC 3 which P put out himself. There definitely is some dope tracks on here and I'm glad we got it and look forward to part 3.

R.I.P Prodigy one of the best to ever do it. :youngsabo:
there's a lot of weirdness around this release. P's daughter Santana Foxx isn't on here either and I don't think she's said much about it besides one retweet. Hav and Al haven't said anything.

I love to hear P's voice again and I thought we might never would. I'm real let down by the production and the rollout though. Feels like it's landing with no promo, and the production isn't the same beats he was previewing when he was letting people hear this back in 2017.

I know they had to change a lot up, and I appreciate the effort, but every joint being a love song combined with the (IMHO) fairly generic modern production makes it not really land for me.

it definitely sounds to me like a collection of P joints on the floor that had to be re-worked and not an organic body of work that P would actually release himself.

It really breaks my heart that I don't like this album. P's my favorite rapper of all time, and this is down at the bottom with HNIC 3 for my least favorite albums of his.

I really hope this grows on me, because I love Joe and I appreciate all the hard work he did to make this happen.

Last edited:

deeznutz

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
GTA
there's a lot of weirdness around this release. P's daughter Santana Foxx isn't on here either and I don't think she's said much about it besides one retweet. Hav and Al haven't said anything.

I love to hear P's voice again and I thought we might never would. I'm real let down by the production and the rollout though. Feels like it's landing with no promo, and the production isn't the same beats he was previewing when he was letting people hear this back in 2017.

I know they had to change a lot up, and I appreciate the effort, but every joint being a love song combined with the (IMHO) fairly generic modern production makes it not really land for me.

it definitely sounds to me like a collection of P joints on the floor that had to be re-worked and not an organic body of work that P would actually release himself.

It really breaks my heart that I don't like this album. P's my favorite rapper of all time, and this is down at the bottom with HNIC 2 for my least favorite albums of his.

I really hope this grows on me, because I love Joe and I appreciate all the hard work he did to make this happen.
See I love HNIC 2. It was part 3 I wasn't the biggest fan of because of the more current production at the time. I'd probably give this one a light 3/5 but more from nostalgia in hearing new Prodigy verses.

I honestly don't think P's estate and Joe could afford the samples so they re-worked it and gave us what they could. I liked the 1st installment but there are some cheaper sounding tracks on that one as well.

At this point I'll take whatever I can get from Prodigy. Apparently part 3 is supposed to be more dark and grimey so let's see how they come with it. Hopefully they get help from ALC and Hav for that one but we'll see.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
See I love HNIC 2. It was part 3 I wasn't the biggest fan of because of the more current production at the time. I'd probably give this one a light 3/5 but more from nostalgia in hearing new Prodigy verses.

I honestly don't think P's estate and Joe could afford the samples so they re-worked it and gave us what they could. I liked the 1st installment but there are some cheaper sounding tracks on that one as well.

At this point I'll take whatever I can get from Prodigy. Apparently part 3 is supposed to be more dark and grimey so let's see how they come with it. Hopefully they get help from ALC and Hav for that one but we'll see.
My bad bro, that was a typo. I meant to press 3. I loooovvvee HNIC 2. :wow: Incredible album. One of the most underrated of the 2000's

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps

HNIC 3 was brutal. Even with what people consider a decline in flow from Infamy and on, I still think Prodigy’s catalog is still top tier, but HNIC 3 was a major disappointment and I tend to just ignore it.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Favorite songs

You Will See
Walk Out
Opium Poppy
We Shine

I know I just listened to an album by him, but Prodigy has the best voice for rap. What puts him over other people for me is the way he inflects to emphasis emotion for bars or words.

I do miss the grimey songs. If part 3 has that I'll definitely check it out. I do understand what people are saying about the production. It gets a rough later in album.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
HNIC 3 was brutal. Even with what people consider a decline in flow from Infamy and on, I still think Prodigy’s catalog is still top tier, but HNIC 3 was a major disappointment and I tend to just ignore it.
I did like a few on 3. Who you Bullshytting. Slept On. Live. G-Up. Rhyme or Reason. Not a ton else though.

u mad son?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
damn this shyt is trash ... whos idea was it to have P rapping over generic trap beats?

I'll be honest though, even with fire production it would have been very hard to match the bar set from the first project. I thought this series was gonna be 3 parts of speaking the truth on the government.