Prodigy (R.I.P.) - The Hegelian Dialectic (Part 2: The Book Of Heroine) (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I'd be kind of surprised if anyone tried pulling up with sample lawsuits for a P album coming out in 2022

He aint really mainstream like that
I don't disagree, but I'm just relaying the album making process from the guy that made it. The You Will See single is re-sang from an OG sample

"
In order to get Prodigy’s music back on DSPs, his friends and family culled through the paperwork and made sure the publishing splits, credits, and sample clearances were correct on every song in Prodigy’s solo catalog, as well as on the next two Hegelian Dialectic projects. “It’s hard to explain the amount of work that it took to get The Book of Heroine near the finish line,” Joe says. “I’ve never had to work this hard on anything ever, and it wasn’t just me. There was an army of people.

On top of grieving his friend, Joe lost his mother just three days after Prodigy’s funeral, and he says that Prodigy’s family told him to take all the time he needed to clear his head. “I personally had to take almost a year and a half to two years until I was even mentally capable of functioning in the studio to do what we’re supposed to do,” he says. “It had to be executed properly, so a lot of the delay was on my personal timeframe. I had to take time, so then once we began working, it became, ‘Alright, let’s start the clearance sample circus.’”

The circus entailed an all-consuming process of spending every day parsing through Prodigy’s entire catalog, sometimes using an app that finds samples, then trying to run down the source. “What I ran into is that some random people own some of these samples,” Joe recalls. ‘I’ll be like, ‘Ooh, who is this? This is not even like a publishing house or anything.’ Some samples might be 74 years old from Ukraine or something, and not only is the artist long gone, but then whoever owned the rights to that legally, that organization doesn’t even exist anymore. So I’m sitting there trying to find, like, ‘How do you avoid litigation on this one when you don’t know who in the fukk owns this shyt at all?’”

The relentless dive into legal minutia ended up engulfing Joe. “When I say I’ve lost friends, yes it is rhetorical and metaphorical, but it’s also my own doing,” he says. “I don’t talk to nobody. I haven’t seen my family in over two years. This is it. This is all I’m doing.” It’s a task that he admits he didn’t always know if he could complete, but he powered through on a simple mantra: “whatever it takes” for Prodigy."

u mad son?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't disagree, but I'm just relaying the album making process from the guy that made it. The You Will See single is re-sang from an OG sample

"
In order to get Prodigy’s music back on DSPs, his friends and family culled through the paperwork and made sure the publishing splits, credits, and sample clearances were correct on every song in Prodigy’s solo catalog, as well as on the next two Hegelian Dialectic projects. “It’s hard to explain the amount of work that it took to get The Book of Heroine near the finish line,” Joe says. “I’ve never had to work this hard on anything ever, and it wasn’t just me. There was an army of people.

On top of grieving his friend, Joe lost his mother just three days after Prodigy’s funeral, and he says that Prodigy’s family told him to take all the time he needed to clear his head. “I personally had to take almost a year and a half to two years until I was even mentally capable of functioning in the studio to do what we’re supposed to do,” he says. “It had to be executed properly, so a lot of the delay was on my personal timeframe. I had to take time, so then once we began working, it became, ‘Alright, let’s start the clearance sample circus.’”

The circus entailed an all-consuming process of spending every day parsing through Prodigy’s entire catalog, sometimes using an app that finds samples, then trying to run down the source. “What I ran into is that some random people own some of these samples,” Joe recalls. ‘I’ll be like, ‘Ooh, who is this? This is not even like a publishing house or anything.’ Some samples might be 74 years old from Ukraine or something, and not only is the artist long gone, but then whoever owned the rights to that legally, that organization doesn’t even exist anymore. So I’m sitting there trying to find, like, ‘How do you avoid litigation on this one when you don’t know who in the fukk owns this shyt at all?’”

The relentless dive into legal minutia ended up engulfing Joe. “When I say I’ve lost friends, yes it is rhetorical and metaphorical, but it’s also my own doing,” he says. “I don’t talk to nobody. I haven’t seen my family in over two years. This is it. This is all I’m doing.” It’s a task that he admits he didn’t always know if he could complete, but he powered through on a simple mantra: “whatever it takes” for Prodigy."
Damn, thats crazy. I guess none of his estate are out here trying to see lawsuits going forward which is fair enough.

I been following joe the enginear for a while, he really goes all out for P.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
They released the two best songs as singles… This shyt is TRASH.
I'm very disappointed but I'm gonna listen again tonight.

There's a lot working against this album. It's the first thing we've heard from P in over 5 years and it's a concept album about girls and drugs (which is cool af to me) but it's re-worked production that sounds like it's sample-free (or largely sample free) and a lot of the guests I'm assuming were also shoehorned in after the fact. It just doesn't really sound to me like the album that P originally made. I'm also curious about why Hav and Alc aren't involved and haven't spoken about the project. Not much in the way of real promo; it feels like it's just randomly dropping out of nowhere. It's dropping on a busy release date and a lot of friends I know didn't even realize it was dropping. Sadly, I think it's gonna get buried tomorrow.

I feel awful too because I love Joe the Engineer and I know he worked his ass off to get this released.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was really scared that sample clearances would tank the production... I'll still give an honest listen this weekend

deeznutz

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
GTA
Yo why isn't this stickied?

OK just got through my first listen and I like it alot. Is it HNIC good? Absolutely not but shout out to Joe the Engine Ear for putting these tracks together for us Prodigy fans. It is just really nice to hear P's voice again on tracks I wish ALC and Hav would have helped put this together it's weird they haven't even mentioned it yet.

This album reminds me of that last Gang Starr album Premo pieced together with those unreleased Guru lyrics. The production sounds more like HNIC 3 which P dropped when he was alive. There definitely is some dope tracks on here and I'm glad we got it and look forward to part 3.

R.I.P Prodigy one of the best to ever do it. :youngsabo: