Primo ain't been the same since Guru

Daps
bun b was still spitting on trill OG but i haven't checked out his latest stuff...he was a visiting professor for rice university and that institution probably softened him up with that academic agenda, and he be on interviews always yelling as his normal voice, but yeah pimp was his sparring partner to bring his hardest lyrics, RIP pimp c
I love the Bun-B feature on that Grafh track ft El Camino and Styles P.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
thread lightly Crump. U my dog. Jay cleared that record and was never disrespectful to composer.
i don t need new ops

Jay Z: To use the song from Annie, we had to get clearance from the copyright holder. I wasn’t surprised when the company that owned the rights sent our lawyers a letter turning us down.6

Martin Charnin (director and lyricist, original Broadway production of Annie): “Hard Knock Life” was done at first without my knowledge, and then it was sent to me to get permission. If the request had come without the song, I don’t think I would have done it. Saying you want to make a “ghetto anthem” is unspecific. It had to be demonstrated instead of just talked about.

Jay Z: I decided to write the company a letter myself. I made up this story about how when I was a seventh grader in Bed-Stuy, our teacher held an essay contest and the three best papers won the writer a trip to the city to see Annie. A lie. I wrote that as kids in Brooklyn we hardly ever came into the city. True. I wrote that from the moment the curtain came up I felt like I understood honey’s story. Of course, I’d never been to see Annie on Broadway. But I had seen the movie on TV. Anyway, they bought it, cleared it, and I had one of my biggest hits.8

Thread lightly? Damn bro!

Just kidding.

You are right. I went off from what I remembered about the interview. I don't know if it was that one but probably.

I remember the creator really caring about his work - and then I think Jay Z lying about the class trip. I was thinking before how Jay Z "lied" to get his way.

But really it was a white lie. It's like he had to do whatever he could to make his vision happen and convince that guy.

My bad homie. Thank you for helping to see more clearly on that situation. I forget details and overthink. All good.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Pro Tools been around since the 90s. Premier probably start using pro tools to track out since the early 00s. Y’all seriously blaming Pro Tools for some of his lukewarm beats? Last time I checked he still using an MPC.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Num and Yuk (The Luniz) are constantly falling out with each other but then link up and make good music together

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
bullshyt.

Erick Sermon did

Truth right here.

E-Double got BETTER after the EPMD breakup.

But I've heard people say the same about Primo, in relation to losing Guru and how he hasn't been the same since. He's definitely lost his magic after Guru passed. I think that was actually 14 years ago today. He said he used to make beats everyday, and now he's not really in that zone anymore of cooking up tracks daily. So after 38 years of doing this, and then losing your partner in crime, it's probably not easy for him or as inspiring.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Bun B has a bunch of very good solos.

Premo’s album with Smoke DZA was top tier.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
:francis: Breh...folks was still trying to get the 808 a cooking and setting up the recording hardware. Hell, the SP1200 was on the radar for a producer, than a DAW in 97.

Lets be real, 9th was the main reason why bedroom producers were eating good off of the DAWs. Before him, it was just boom bap, records, tape reels, and minimal computers putin.
Lies, Fl Studio was going to blow regardless of 9th because it was convenient technology.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
But 9th made it a household name because of Threats.

Otherwise, it would have still been as under the radar as Pro Tools to the average dreamer.
No it wasn't. I was at NCCU in 99 and my freshman year everyone with a computer in their room had the demo of FL studio even if they didn't make beats. This was before we knew about 9th.

Industry heads who had already spent thousands of dollars and years learning the machines were the ones who pretended not to know cuz it broke the gateway and allowed anyone to make a beat. But my generation was very familiar with FL studio cuz it was free to download and very easy to crack

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It ain't the equipment. Alchemist still using a dusty MPC. Jake One still making beats on a beat up ASR-10. A lot of the digital work will be handled by the engineers anyway.

The real reason is he's getting old. Premier is 58. No one stays at a high level that long. People talking about Alchemist being consistent but he's 12 years younger then Primo.

The main reason Al was able to keep going is once the industry placements slowed he went indie and kept sampling. Premier's profile is too big for him to get away with not clearing samples. That's why a lot of his recent work suffers from being too minimalist with no loops just stabs.

Premier and the other greats were always about placements so when rap went to more mainstream sounds they stopped working. They were accustomed to making beats every day and having a waiting list of artists. They got lost after that stopped.

Easy Moe, Rockwilder, Buckwild, Diamond D, etc all just went away. No one's calling for beats so they're not making any. Then when they release something new it's not near their peak. They just haven't been grinding so the rust shows.

Compare that to Pete Rock who is still releasing work that mirrors his peak. There's no loss in quality because Pete always says he makes 25 beats a week. He doesn't have to try and recapture the magic because he never lost it.

Pete would be the better fit musically for Nas in 2024 but there was never a Nas/Pete album being teased and they have personal/business issues. Why Nas waited to give us a Premier album 25 years late is beyond me. It can still work but he has to pay for sample clearances.