Primo ain't been the same since Guru

KingsOfKings

π•„π•’π••π•π•šπ•“ π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒π•₯
Daps
It sounds like someone took fruity loops in 2003 and tried to emulate premier
Ditto but funny cause I've heard better from FL producers.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Breh...Prem is the prime example of a old man trying to adapt to modern technology. The man's thought that scratch and use the same riff shyt was going to be timeless, when in reality you got to switch it up even with the signature sound.

Even though I can't stand 9ths flabby headed ass, I can't deny that he switches up every so often. Hell, Madlib can produce an entire GOAT tier fart tune with an iPad in an instant. Prem still stuck with the bland ass drums, that "rurrrr rurrr" sound, and "real hip hop" scratches. Not even flabby brehs checking for that shyt in 2024.

You are going to have to learn a drill tactic or something, because the jig is up sadly Prem :francis:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I dont think premier has been the same since digital/pro tools were introduced

So...Much...This

You can pinpoint the complete timeframe of the decline. Lets keep it a buck, Prem really peaked with Royce and that was basically this track:

Once the damage was done with the "super producer" sounds, the digital era thriving, not so much usage of the sample, and Guru's passing, dude been a shell of his former self.

Its sucks but what can ya do...

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Cubase and Pro Tools dropped in 89 :unimpressed:

:francis: Breh...folks was still trying to get the 808 a cooking and setting up the recording hardware. Hell, the SP1200 was on the radar for a producer, than a DAW in 97.

Lets be real, 9th was the main reason why bedroom producers were eating good off of the DAWs. Before him, it was just boom bap, records, tape reels, and minimal computers putin.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Biggavel after Jim Jones
full

KingsOfKings

π•„π•’π••π•π•šπ•“ π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒π•₯
Daps
Breh...Prem is the prime example of a old man trying to adapt to modern technology. The man's thought that scratch and use the same riff shyt was going to be timeless, when in reality you got to switch it up even with the signature sound.

Even though I can't stand 9ths flabby headed ass, I can't deny that he switches up every so often. Hell, Madlib can produce an entire GOAT tier fart tune with an iPad in an instant. Prem still stuck with the bland ass drums, that "rurrrr rurrr" sound, and "real hip hop" scratches. Not even flabby brehs checking for that shyt in 2024.

You are going to have to learn a drill tactic or something, because the jig is up sadly Prem :francis:

Bruh you stating facts and ppl going to say your hating

It's crazy how it seems he doesn't want to go that route. On a technological level , I seen a Rhythm Roulette of Easy Moe Bee and he was using the Acid Pro I believe and him making a beat. And it was fire . Ayatollah the same shyt and he keep it 90 boom bap with the scratches and this sample he had of Busta Rhymes. And we know how much 9th Wonder love FL Studios hell he's like a pioneer in terms of it's usage.

I seen Khyrsis make some wild shyt RECENTLY by scratch in this IG channel thing 9th has with the Soul Council that was wild. He did it on a mobile device (I still don't know what that shyt is specifically called) And I'm not a serious beatmaker I delve into it from time to time outta sheer boredom , but the beat imo he gave Nas is glaring . Hell even Stoupe still making fire with Stove God and he on/off again with rocking with Jedi Mind Tricks. Mostly cause of Jus Allah problematic ass lol but yeah. ...

I respect Preemo and he's a goat but idk man sometimes some of his beats feel rather lazy.

Last edited:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
It's crazy how it seems he doesn't want to go that route. On a technological level , I seen a Rhythm Roulette of Easy Moe Bee and he was using the Acid Pro I believe and him making a beat. And it was fire . Ayatollah the same shyt and he keep it 90 boom bap. I seen Khyrsis make some wild shyt by scratch in this IG channel thing 9th has with the Soul Council that was wild. He did it on a mobile device (I still don't know what that shyt is specifically) And I'm not a serious beatmaker I delve into it from time to time but the beat imo he gave Nas is glaring . Hell even Stoupe still making fire with Stove God and he on/off again with rocking with Jedi Mind Tricks.

Its either Nas wanted Prem to focus on his vintage sound (ala the old "Nas can't pick a beat to save his fukking life") or Prem just stuck in his old ways because ain't no way dude just take a piece of a sample and have the drums fill in the gaps like this is 1999 :scust: . I'm far from a "super producer" and even I know when to add a twang to the sample.