Primo ain't been the same since Guru

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Primos best work was always outside of Gang Starr :yeshrug:

Naaaaaaahhh, his tracks on Step In The Arena, Daily Operation and Hard to Earn are untouchable.

His work in the camp is his best sh*t, and his outside work was classic too. But Preem wasn't giving other dudes sh*t on the level of "Mass Appeal" or "DWYCK".

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Phonte became so popular after Little Brother that fans of Foreign Exchange had no idea he was actually in a rap group prior

My 1st cousin's daughter, who is 16 years younger than me, about 10 years ago asked me if I had ever heard of Cee Lo, not knowing I was listening to him when she was in diapers. So Cee lo also survived.

Erick Sermon is 10x more popular with his solor work than he was with EPMD

Cube, Dre, and Eazy all dropped classic paltinum albums post-NWA

Scarface dropped classic albums post-Geto Boys

Mr Mike had a hot ass album after South Circle

Sometimes a group may hold certain members back.

yup

look at Busta.

LONS falling apart (and Scenario) was the best thing that coul happen to him.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Bun B, imo as someone that grew up on UGK, is a shell of himself post Pimp C.

CL Smooth dropped off the planet when he stopped rocking with Pete. And nobody cares about Pete these days.

Q Tip...I don't know about Kamaal to be honest. He had a few hits post ATCQ/Phife.

Has any duo/group really survived after a separation/death?

Or is it just the passage of time?
busta rhymes went on to thrive without LOTNS.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Naaaaaaahhh, his tracks on Step In The Arena, Daily Operation and Hard to Earn are untouchable.

His work in the camp is his best sh*t, and his outside work was classic too. But Preem wasn't giving other dudes sh*t on the level of "Mass Appeal" or "DWYCK".
I personally think that his work on that first jeru was his magnum opus.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
bun b was still spitting on trill OG but i haven't checked out his latest stuff...he was a visiting professor for rice university and that institution probably softened him up with that academic agenda, and he be on interviews always yelling as his normal voice, but yeah pimp was his sparring partner to bring his hardest lyrics, RIP pimp c

Bun calmed down a lot of after the Early 90s…

Became a family man, a pillar in the Southern rap communities, etc.

The institution fit right him perfectly. Professor Bun had rappers come and speak during his classes. That’s about as cool as it gets

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps

Preme been still bringing it The fukk y'all talking about here? :hhh:

These are highlights in a exceedingly mid output of creatively stagnant productions. Tempo,key,beat patterns, choice of samples..it just feels lazy and formulaic from someone that defined creativity when it came to boom bap.

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
because they have a different opinion than yours?

:unimpressed:
No because beatmakers intermediate or novice noticed the gaps in the beat. I could get way more technical if I wanted but It called being honest with yoself

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
These are highlights in a exceedingly mid output of creatively stagnant productions. Tempo,key,beat patterns, choice of samples..it just feels lazy and formulaic from someone that defined creativity when it came to boom bap.
:hhh: He literally resurrected McEiht career with the How the West was Won and Royce's with the Pryme album. Not to mention he done with my homie Blaq Poet. Preme is still delivering a strong batting average compared to many of his peers.

His current shyt not gonna touch the 90s due to legality and age but to say homie ain't had a hot beat in 15 years is silly.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Erick was much better on Business As Usual, than he was on Unfinished Business.

By '92, dude was probably Top 5 in the game, when he started up on Whut? Thee Album.

Not at all.

You just being pessimistic breh.

Rhe second album is rhe best epmd album easily. Like I said. Erick volume went up but after hitting switches and rated r at best.
Only dope dope beats from epmd and later is :

Brothers from Brentwood long Island and chill.
Which I have not seen my epmd cd pr tape for their defjam years to give a fukk about the j card. Yet I would be hard pressed to think. Maybe someone else did those beats. With how far Erick fell off.
as a producer after the second album.

Erick was a complete shell of himself. That even his rhymes took a turn for the worst as well.
as his production became dated cliche and stale.
Erick just made more in volume and got more savvy admin wise.

Yet as a skill producer. Only person even getting good beats from Erick was red. Which was collaborative at best. Or maybe red did the bulk of the work and Erick added technical acumen to the see the end result. Yet on no day. was Erick sermon as good as the second epmd album later on.

I could only wish after Erick pulled the bullshyt and Parrish played his friends administratively. That sermon was as good as previously as a producer. Especially on the mic. Which a whole thread needed. To tackle how wack Erick sermon was.
Directly after hitting switches as a solo artist. To one of the huffest solo rap producers lp runs ever.

Plus his descending skill as a a feature as well.
You producers dude be mad nice to one another. Yet sorry I keep it real.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
Yup it's like he has beat fog where he's stuck in a phase. The Nas track is Nas being Nas but the beat is mid and I don't get how people don't hear it.
I think Nas sees that but at the same time he's doing it for Hip Hop. That's what I got out of this.