Primo ain't been the same since Guru

Funcrusher

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont think premier has been the same since digital/pro tools were introduced

This really became clear to me especially when he started his That's what's up YouTube thing. He thrived during the analog days, the level of skill required really brought the best out of him, and all great producers during that time. The digital era took that away and not all were able to adjust.
I also got the same idea from the Dilla biography. What took an insane amount of skill and talent during the 90's could relatively easy be emulated digitally.
At least that's what I assume after reading/watching those things.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
You can get stagnant to a certain extent just crafting sounds for one type of flow :manny:

Bun is fine, his styles just won't flow well with every producer. The two he sounds best with right now are Corey Mo and KRIT...but you have to leave room to experiment :manny:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
So...Much...This

You can pinpoint the complete timeframe of the decline. Lets keep it a buck, Prem really peaked with Royce and that was basically this track:

Once the damage was done with the "super producer" sounds, the digital era thriving, not so much usage of the sample, and Guru's passing, dude been a shell of his former self.

Its sucks but what can ya do...

I wouldn’t say he peaked.. I’d say you just stopped liking his beats. It happens. I mean Marley is one of the goats but people stopped liking his shyt too, many other producers as well. I think Preem is on some “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” type stuff. People still say he’s one of the best out now so he’s going to give us what he think we want

Firefly

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Imo, Preem's best work was on the Moment of Truth album, every track on there was banger after banger. But like post 1998 or 1999, his beats ain't hit the same.

He got sued for samples and had to do splits that cut into his $.

From then on he has been banging pads to make beats without samples.

Nas has the $ though so I'm hoping he can foot the bill and get Primo sampling and back on what made him Primo.

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother
bun b was still spitting on trill OG but i haven't checked out his latest stuff...he was a visiting professor for rice university and that institution probably softened him up with that academic agenda, and he be on interviews always yelling as his normal voice, but yeah pimp was his sparring partner to bring his hardest lyrics, RIP pimp c

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Bun B, imo as someone that grew up on UGK, is a shell of himself post Pimp C.

CL Smooth dropped off the planet when he stopped rocking with Pete. And nobody cares about Pete these days.

Q Tip...I don't know about Kamaal to be honest. He had a few hits post ATCQ/Phife.

Has any duo/group really survived after a separation/death?

Or is it just the passage of time?

Very great topic @WIA20XX I think it's similar to divorce or any loss. When a person faces that pain head on, doesn't short cut things or go to drugs/sex/other distractions - but faces that pain, takes time and heals fully. Then there's new life and it's great.

Krs One did it right after Scott La Rock's death.

Raekwon did it right after odb's death - admitted to crying hard, driving on his way to see his dead body at the studio - facing it.

Coolio with I'll see you when you get there wrote that incredible song - not sure the backstory but it's great.

Tupac - I ain't mad atcha.

You can tell the vibe when ppl do heal.

I love the new Nas song with Preem.

I do hear what you're saying tho.

Can someone tell me why Guru didn't like Premier in the end and why Guru was so unforgiving?

It's messed up. But it's facts so we can learn from that legacy.

R.i.p Guru.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
He got sued for samples and had to do splits that cut into his $.

From then on he has been banging pads to make beats without samples.

Nas has the $ though so I'm hoping he can foot the bill and get Primo sampling and back on what made him Primo.

I hate the legality. The same happened to RZA.

It's like have a win/win.

Jay Z I think stole hardnock without clearing it and was disrespectful on that Annie creator in an Interview.

Sampling is an art in itself. Ppl should go for win/wins.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
I hate the legality. The same happened to RZA.

It's like have a win/win.

Jay Z I think stole hardnock without clearing it and was disrespectful on that Annie creator in an Interview.

Sampling is an art in itself. Ppl should go for win/wins.
thread lightly Crump. U my dog. Jay cleared that record and was never disrespectful to composer.
i don t need new ops

Jay Z: To use the song from Annie, we had to get clearance from the copyright holder. I wasn’t surprised when the company that owned the rights sent our lawyers a letter turning us down.6

Martin Charnin (director and lyricist, original Broadway production of Annie): “Hard Knock Life” was done at first without my knowledge, and then it was sent to me to get permission. If the request had come without the song, I don’t think I would have done it. Saying you want to make a “ghetto anthem” is unspecific. It had to be demonstrated instead of just talked about.

Jay Z: I decided to write the company a letter myself. I made up this story about how when I was a seventh grader in Bed-Stuy, our teacher held an essay contest and the three best papers won the writer a trip to the city to see Annie. A lie. I wrote that as kids in Brooklyn we hardly ever came into the city. True. I wrote that from the moment the curtain came up I felt like I understood honey’s story. Of course, I’d never been to see Annie on Broadway. But I had seen the movie on TV. Anyway, they bought it, cleared it, and I had one of my biggest hits.8

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
The story in this is that it’s hard for producers to have runs that lasts 10+ years without falling off.

Preme had a dominant run in the 90’s-early 00’s. That’s a lifetime in hip hop when you think about it. It’s great that he’s still active today and can live comfortably doing so but he’s past his prime.

Hearing stories about him during the Livin Proof sessions where he was completely locked in and didn’t even go outside….the focus, the hunger and determination. That was a young premo that had something to prove. He’s not that same guy anymore.

When you look at Nas…he still raps with a youthful spirit and energy. There are beat makers today that can make a 90’s east coast beats that can give Nas the same energy in return.

But I get it….the fans been begging for a Nas/Preme album for decades so :manny: