Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Rick James was talented as fukk. And he was about that life. Wiz Khalifa + ASAP Rocky aren't, and aren't

Do me a favor bruh. Listen to this song real quick, den tell me what you think about it.

Then let a nikka know who you do fukk with music wise out here nowadays.

Cuz from ya posts it seems like you dont fukk with ANY type of new music after 2008. You even admitted that you havent even listened to Rocky's mixtape but you absolutely hate him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So you're saying we should judge people by the people they are in real life (that we have no idea of usually other than internet gossip)...instead of their image or even the music they put out?

I was specifically addressing the dude implying that Rick James was soft based on how he dressed

the overall point that I'm making in this thread, and what the threadstarter is saying is that when it comes to musicians, the actual music should take precedence over the way they present themselves, not the other way around. this goes for any artist, of any genre of any era

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
whether ya'll agree with the OP or not, you gotta realize his main focus isn't on the flamboyant attire, so stop focusing so much on that. he's talking about the image of an artist vs the actual content of an artist, and how those lines have been blurred

The thing is, the only person who really gets that kind of praise is Kanye.

Nobody really thinks that Wiz is the next Jimi Hendrix or any bullshyt like that.

I doubt even ASAP himself thinks that he's making some kind of groundbreaking music. They're just kids making dope shyt that dress like other kids they're age. This trend will pass just like wearing XXXXL T-shirts.

Allah

Pro
Daps
Reppin
SO you want black men to still be wearing baggy clothes and outdated shyt cause it's "black" :stopitslime:? Urban culture killed itself when it stopped innovating and became too predictable. Stagnation of that and many black folk is why shyt is fukked up these days. Many elements of the early 00s culture never told people to grow up and mature, just stay looking like kids will you dead.

Yeah, that feminine shyt is terrible, but people seem to forget to get a healthy balance of being a regular hetero male these days. You either some super goon wearing 4x white tees and FUBU jeans that is no longer sold in stores or you some Wiz Khalifa kind of dude. No healthy medium.

Moderation is whats needed, but white preppy yuppie shouldnt be the scale by which it is measured

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing is, the only person who really gets that kind of praise is Kanye.

Nobody really thinks that Wiz is the next Jimi Hendrix or any bullshyt like that.

I doubt even ASAP himself thinks that he's making some kind of groundbreaking music. Their just kids making dope shyt that dress like other kids his age.

Originally Posted by Drew Wonder View Post

I actually like Rocky, always been a fan of the dude. he's got a good flow, decent lyrics, great ear for beats and his videos are dope. my issue is moreso with the bloggers and critics who make him out to be more than what he really is, but that shyt aint Rocky's fault. I don't know where his heads at, but more than likely he just wants to make enjoyable hip hop over good beats, and is probably confused by all the critics calling him an avant garde musical genius, but doesn't feel like destroying their perception of him.

I think he has the potential to become the artist that so many bloggers believe he is. but he isn't there yet.

3 stacks, Common when he was messing with Erykah, MF Doom, etc are examples of rappers who's abstract style actually matches their lyrical content. which is why while a lot of people were :wtf: at their fashion choices, they were still respected as artists

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I guess I should have made my point clearer so I'll do that by just asking you a question:

WHO EXACTLY IS CALLING WIZ KHALIFA OR ASAP ROCKY A MUSICAL GENIUS? @Drew Wonder

charmander

Alhamdulillah
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey HawkSet ByrdGang
char you my homie and all but I don't follow the logic.

In other words, if you're gonna dress like a weirdo, your music better be ridiculously groundbreaking in order to justify it? U still gonna be a weirdo whether you made O.N.I.F.C. or Illmatic in skinny jeans and your mom's jewelry. Look at Prince. Would you think he was more a weirdo if the music wasn't as good?

*Prince dry humps his male guitarist*

Me: :wtf:

You: Man it's all good. He put out Purple Rain :troll:

Me: :wtb:

the underlying logic is: if everything about your art is tired, repetitive, dull and overdone.....dressing like Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid isn't going to make it better (and it shouldn't)....but in this day and age you have most of the marquee rappers doing just that...regurgitating the same songs with the same topics but presenting their music and themselves as some sort of deep, high-brow artistic shyt

they are not actually pushing the envelope or furthering the genre, but they want to prance around in public dressing and acting like the artists from yesteryear who ACTUALLY DID

and sure, some of it is just a fad of the times: the stupid literal minimalist cover art kanye is so fond of, all the corny illuminati symbolism shyt that they have been milking, etc etc

but on a bigger scale, it's a symptom of the rap game as a whole: it's hemorrhaging money...popularity has waned...record labels are scared to invest in acts like they once did...so there is not a lot of room for error, or a lot of room for creativity...

now as for your point about Prince, sure there are things that make it hard to give artists passes for no matter how much you like their music...and sure people could look back at some of those artists and say "but they were just as weird looking and pretentious as artists today"

Michael Jackson made a big budget movie about saving a bunch of young white kids by transforming into a Power Rangers Megazord version of himself, and a lot of people think he was fukking those young white kids.....but like Chappelle said...he made Thriller man...Thriller

meanwhile Asap Rocky is running around wearing dresses putting out shyt like "I'm comin diiinnneee...pourin uuuuup....gold grill, my nikka wuuuuutt" like he's signed to fukking Swishahouse or something

2 Chainz puttin out singles called "I'm Diff'rent".........can someone explain to me how the fukk he's Diff'rent?

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
The problem is there is no gate keeper. Nobody is willing to hold these nikkas accountable for this androgyny. Everybody is afraid of being called a hater. They shut the real nikkas out the game. The real nikkas only have a voice on message boards and social media, as far as the real nikkas in the industry their all gone.

Of course there are "gate keepers." They're called elitists, and those are the heads that believe they know what's good for everyone even though they don't. Nobody does.

You couldn't tell me who the "gate keepers" are in any other genre of music, yet we need one?

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess I should have made my point clearer so I'll do that by just asking you a question:

WHO EXACTLY IS CALLING WIZ KHALIFA OR ASAP ROCKY A MUSICAL GENIUS? @Drew Wonder

I can't really speak on Wiz. But with Rocky it's the hipster bloggers. maybe musical genius is going too far, but reading the way some of them discuss his music, I feel like they think he's a much more profound, deeper artist than he actually is, because they're so focused on the type of production he raps on(which, is def very unique and abstract) as well as how he's marketed(the high fashion, the stylish videos, etc.)

now mind you, I'm actually a fan of Rocky unlike a lot of the dudes in this thread, so don't confuse me with them. but I just don't think he's as great of an artist or his music is as deep as a lot of bloggers seem to think it is. but as I mentioned before, I'm not blaming Rocky for that. no rapper in his right mind is gonna distance themselves from critical praise, even if they truly don't feel like it's warranted.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Do me a favor bruh. Listen to this song real quick, den tell me what you think about it.

Travis Scott - Animal (Ft. T.I.) (Prod. Travi$ scott) - YouTube

Then let a nikka know who you do fukk with music wise out here nowadays.

Cuz from ya posts it seems like you dont fukk with ANY type of new music after 2008. You even admitted that you havent even listened to Rocky's mixtape but you absolutely hate him.

I dont HATE ASAP Rocky.

Heres what my beef with the game is, in a nutshell. Lyrically shyt is weak. And everybody sounds the same. Who's hot now who you can't describe by saying "well if you put x rapper with y rapper over z beats then you have his sound"? These dudes are awful. The only new rappers I was really checking for are Kendrick- who doesn't sound like anybody- and Chief Keef, who is a retarded Gucci Mane but makes good workout music :yeshrug:

Everyone else I listen to regularly- Lupe, Bigga, Charles Hamilton, Camp Lo, Lil B- don't sound like anybody else AND/OR can spit. Who in the mainstream realm can you say that about?

WTF does 'Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music' have to do with CLOTHING?

:mindblown:
Ask Wiz, ask ASAP

These dudes dont have the creativity or technical base to be called good rappers, but have a perfectly cultivated image... that is all dudes seem to care about these days

If you dont get the point the OP is making I dont know what to tell you

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Rick James in his prime would have fukked every woman you've encountered. If anything you bringing up Rick James is key. From the beginning of rap /new r&b stuff to now, a major aspect of the game has been about impressing the women. That's what swag rap is built on. The only difference between what's going on now and what's going on when Afrika Bambaataa was poppin is that we've seen this before and we think ":wtf: were they doing" whereas if you saw this for the first time, you woulda bought red boots yourself.

Not everything works for everyone. Dressing like A$AP Rocky is tacky as fukk, but so is dressing like Joey Bada$$. The problem with rap is that only a handful of people do what works for them (and those that do are the ones that get ripped the most)
Where did I imply Rick James was a homo? I said Rick James was Androgynous in which he was. Same goes for Morris Day,Prince,Boy George,George Micheal and Ready for The World. That was the 80's though. Once Gangsta Rap took in the late 80's that Androgyny shyt should've been dead because R&B was no longer the most dominant form of urban music in the ghetto. How do you go from seeing how soft and homo something was and then return to it. It's like seeing how wack your parents bell bottoms were only to be walking thru a thrift store and decide you want to cop some and hit the streets in em. I'd rather see my ppl wear tall T's and baggy jeans over Kilts,Blouses and skin tight jeans any day. I'm not with that androgyny shyt bruh and only fags can co-sign that shyt in 2013. All dem 80's nikkas get a pass because they didn't know no better. But to be raised watching authentic nikkas like Scarface and Too Short to go back to Androgyny is the epitome of fagdom.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it will sound the same now, since it's already recorded...

but you are either fooling yourself or just being stubborn if you think that the record wouldn't sound WILDLY different if he didn't strive to be known as a fashion icon and trendsetting hipster

again though, you're missing the point of the thread: we are talking about dudes making generic, repetitive music but dressing it up like it's some groundbreaking artsy shyt....it's the epitome of style over substance, and you're apparently caught up in the 'style' part of it, while we're discussing the 'substance' of it

Okay then let's switch gears.

First off how does one "dress up" their music like it's groundbreaking artsy shyt? Because if I'm to assume it's the clothes again then I'd be wildly off base right? :rudy: Wiz and Rocky both have unique production.

Second how does one increase the substance of it? And how do you assume people like Rocky or Wiz are putting style over substance. Rocky wears all the goofy fashion garbage he claims to and incorparates this into his music (see Fashion Killa). Wiz smokes all the weed and wears all the goofy clothes he claims to. Where is the facade here? These nikkas is rapping about what they actually do.

See the problem is nikkas complain about this generation just to be complaining. This and this is wrong but nobody has a clue what is right :confused: Yall don't know what the fukk yall want.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
She Agree That I'm Looney said:
These dudes dont have the creativity or technical base to be called good rappers, but have a perfectly cultivated image... that is all dudes seem to care about these days

If you dont get the point the OP is making I dont know what to tell you

The problem is: THE THREAD TITLE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT POINT!!!!

:snoop:

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
lotta nikkas in here with no swag

If Swag=faq then I don't want no parts of it. I'll still be a masculine male long after that word and trend fades out. You're gonna have to explain to your son why you dressed like that when he see dem pics later though. And telling him you did it because you was a follower ain't gon be a good look.