Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what: when has anybody or ASAP himself ever gave him the type of praise that people say he's getting?

His music is supposed to match his dress? :what: Says fukking WHO?!?!?!

It's a dude making trendy music and dresses like alot of people his age dress. I doubt he's put as much thought into this as you all have.

if there's anybody who is guilty of this it's Kanye

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so a consumer shouldn't be concerned with how the product's quality and innovation has nosedived for the sake of appearances?

:wtf:

Are you buying these nikkas clothing lines? If not, then the product that your consuming at the end of the days is still music. You can't attribute a music quality "nosedive" (:childplease:) on image because it has very little to do with what you're spending money on. nikkas will ride trends regardless, but what determines quality is the aritst music on an individual basis.

In other words LongLiveAsap is gonna sound the same regardless if Rocky preforms it in a dress or a greasy white T and Timbs.

Unless you gettin a cut, the image is concern of the execs because that will affect sales. It doesn't have shyt to do with the soundwaves entering your ears.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Somehow the real nikkas vs. the fags argument has been equated to the young nikka vs. the old nikka. As bad as I thought Lil Boosie's image was for the youth, at least the nikka dressed solid. Hiphop is going thru it's androgyny period. Before you know it Boy George will be signed to Good Music and Lil Wayne will re-do this album cover.

MUDD110.JPG

nikkas in the hood don't rock this shyt. You'll be a victim of violence if you dress like Rocky in Oakland California.

kinda ironic that you posed that pic bruh, and it shows that you're completely missing the point the OP was trying to make even though you believe you agree with him

Rick James dressed androgynous but the dude was more of a G and more about that life than a good deal of rappers who dressed "hood." it's not about the style, it's the substance behind it.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
kinda ironic that you posed that pic bruh, and it shows that you're completely missing the point the OP was trying to make even though you believe you agree with him

Rick James dressed androgynous but the dude was more of a G and more about that life than a good deal of rappers who dressed "hood." it's not about the style, it's the substance behind it.
:heh: the substance behind it?...you say that like Rick James was Gil Heron Scott or something...the n!gga didn't sing about shyt but partying and broads

edit:I may have missed you point too

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
They shut the real nikkas out the game. The real nikkas only have a voice on message boards and social media, as far as the real nikkas in the industry their all gone.

:what: :mindblown:

So let me guess, you are said "Real nikka" right? :comeon:

nikka 75% of these boards consist of cacs and suburban (BrothaZay) type nergro's whose closest experience to the hood is playing GrandTheftAuto San Andreas

And besides Cheif Keef n Kendrick Lamar were the breakout artists of 2012, so that whole Real nikka industry agrument is nill.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Somehow the real nikkas vs. the fags argument has been equated to the young nikka vs. the old nikka. As bad as I thought Lil Boosie's image was for the youth, at least the nikka dressed solid. Hiphop is going thru it's androgyny period. Before you know it Boy George will be signed to Good Music and Lil Wayne will re-do this album cover.

MUDD110.JPG

nikkas in the hood don't rock this shyt. You'll be a victim of violence if you dress like Rocky in Oakland California.

Rick James in his prime would have fukked every woman you've encountered.

If anything you bringing up Rick James is key. From the beginning of rap /new r&b stuff to now, a major aspect of the game has been about impressing the women. That's what swag rap is built on. The only difference between what's going on now and what's going on when Afrika Bambaataa was poppin is that we've seen this before and we think ":wtf: were they doing" whereas if you saw this for the first time, you woulda bought red boots yourself.

Not everything works for everyone. Dressing like A$AP Rocky is tacky as fukk, but so is dressing like Joey Bada$$. The problem with rap is that only a handful of people do what works for them (and those that do are the ones that get ripped the most)

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The problem is there is no gate keeper. Nobody is willing to hold these nikkas accountable for this androgyny. Everybody is afraid of being called a hater. They shut the real nikkas out the game. The real nikkas only have a voice on message boards and social media, as far as the real nikkas in the industry their all gone.

Who are the "real nikkas?" You mean the same nikkas that fukked up money that was borrowed from record execs? The ones that fukk up opportunities cause of their ego?

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:heh: the substance behind it?...you say that like Rick James was Gil Heron Scott or something...the n!gga didn't sing about shyt but partying and broads

substance meaning who he actually is as a person, not artistry. dude dressed androgynous like a lot of the dudes of the 80's, but he was hardly someone who was "soft"

charmander

Alhamdulillah
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey HawkSet ByrdGang
In other words LongLiveAsap is gonna sound the same regardless if Rocky preforms it in a dress or a greasy white T and Timbs.

it will sound the same now, since it's already recorded...

but you are either fooling yourself or just being stubborn if you think that the record wouldn't sound WILDLY different if he didn't strive to be known as a fashion icon and trendsetting hipster

again though, you're missing the point of the thread: we are talking about dudes making generic, repetitive music but dressing it up like it's some groundbreaking artsy shyt....it's the epitome of style over substance, and you're apparently caught up in the 'style' part of it, while we're discussing the 'substance' of it

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Then you need to change the title of this thread as well as your OP to reflect that sentiment. People have been dressing flamboyantly for eons as far as entertainment is concerned and that won't change......

Rick James - Hard To Get - YouTube
Rick James was talented as fukk. And he was about that life. Wiz Khalifa + ASAP Rocky aren't, and aren't

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
the ones in here trying to say "but but back in the day people were dressing like weirdos too" are missing the point

back then if you were going to dress like a pretentious, glittery, spandex half-a-homo...you had to be making some art that was on par with it, there had to be some innovation involved to give credence to the weirdo schtick

now every rapper is rapping the same way about the same things while all dressing like David Bowie or a dominatrix...it's incredibly corny, and is part of the reason i have a hard time listening to all these new hipster pseudo-artsy wannabe avant-garde ass nikkas

nikkas wanna be looked at like visionaries while making songs called I Luhh Dem Skrippas, fukk outta here

char you my homie and all but I don't follow the logic.

In other words, if you're gonna dress like a weirdo, your music better be ridiculously groundbreaking in order to justify it? U still gonna be a weirdo whether you made O.N.I.F.C. or Illmatic in skinny jeans and your mom's jewelry. Look at Prince. Would you think he was more a weirdo if the music wasn't as good?

*Prince dry humps his male guitarist*

Me: :wtf:

You: Man it's all good. He put out Purple Rain :troll:

Me: :wtb:

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
substance meaning who he actually is as a person, not artistry. dude dressed androgynous like a lot of the dudes of the 80's, but he was hardly someone who was "soft"
So you're saying we should judge people by the people they are in real life (that we have no idea of usually other than internet gossip)...instead of their image or even the music they put out?

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
whether ya'll agree with the OP or not, you gotta realize his main focus isn't on the flamboyant attire, so stop focusing so much on that. he's talking about the image of an artist vs the actual content of an artist, and how those lines have been blurred