Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Okay then let's switch gears.

First off how does one "dress up" their music like it's groundbreaking artsy shyt? Because if I'm to assume it's the clothes again then I'd be wildly off base right? :rudy: Wiz and Rocky both have unique production. Second how does one increase the substance of it? And how do you assume people like Rocky or Wiz are putting style over substance. Rocky wears all the goofy fashion garbage he claims to and incorparates this into his music (see Fashion Killa). Wiz smokes all the weed and wears all the goofy clothes he claims to. Where is the facade here? These nikkas is rapping about what they actually do.

See the problem is nikkas complain about this generation just to be complaining. This and this is wrong but nobody has a clue what is right :confused: Yall don't know what the fukk yall want.

When you see a nikka dressing in a Kilt and some Uggs you don't expect that nikka to rap about how many hoes he fukk and how much his watch costs. You'd expect that nikkas content to be outside the box since his physical presentation is as such. You don't expect him to rap about shyt your local "Goon" would be infatuated with like materialism and sexism.

Allah

Pro
Daps
Reppin
SO you want black men to still be wearing baggy clothes and outdated shyt cause it's "black" :stopitslime:? Urban culture killed itself when it stopped innovating and became too predictable. Stagnation of that and many black folk is why shyt is fukked up these days. Many elements of the early 00s culture never told people to grow up and mature, just stay looking like kids will you dead.

Yeah, that feminine shyt is terrible, but people seem to forget to get a healthy balance of being a regular hetero male these days. You either some super goon wearing 4x white tees and FUBU jeans that is no longer sold in stores or you some Wiz Khalifa kind of dude. No healthy medium.

really the point im trying to make is that its ok for one segment of the youth to dress outside of the norm (WHITE) while when another segment does the same thing its looked down upon(BLACK). On the one hand its fine for people to wear extra extra small clothing, skinny jeans etc, so why is it not just as ok for someone to wear not 4xl and jeans to the knees, but 3xl (ie cant see your heart beating and shyt) and somewhat sagging jeans?

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
I dont HATE ASAP Rocky.

Heres what my beef with the game is, in a nutshell. Lyrically shyt is weak. And everybody sounds the same. Who's hot now who you can't describe by saying "well if you put x rapper with y rapper over z beats then you have his sound"? These dudes are awful. The only new rappers I was really checking for are Kendrick- who doesn't sound like anybody- and Chief Keef, who is a retarded Gucci Mane but makes good workout music :yeshrug:

Everyone else I listen to regularly- Lupe, Bigga, Charles Hamilton, Camp Lo, Lil B- don't sound like anybody else AND/OR can spit. Who in the mainstream realm can you say that about?

I digg what your saying bruh, oddly enough I do respect ya opinion on these new up n commers n shyt.

Now my argument for this thread in particular is. That cats is saying people like Wiz n ASAP make wack generic music. Which is not true AT ALL. For this new generation of cats, those two particular artists are ironically enuff the few who actually do have their own sound and style. At certain points in each of their careers they were making next level music which did not sound like ANYBODY at the time.

Ya cant tell me Peso' is wack or not original

or that Wiz was not original when he was making shyt like this

Last edited by a moderator:

Superstar
Daps
You know...Where the subject matter is money, clothes, liquor, drugs and hoes just like 90% of all post Death Row hip hop...But the twist is they do it with abstract art placement and homosexual clothing...

This whole Andy Warhol meets Ma$e cornball weirdo sh1t needs to run its course asap...

If your content and thoughts aren't original and creative..All the "unique" clothes, album covers and European culture vulturing won't save you.. You might fool Pitch Fork and the gentrification dwelling taste makers, but real n1ggas see through this..

"Oh Wiz is unique because he dresses like Jimi Hendix while rappin about nothin"..

"The way Kanye can rap about his dikk while surrounded by the Bolshoi Ballet Company is groundbreaking"

"2 Chainz raps about selling crack and drop tops but it's different because he dresses like Boy George now"

"The Cleveland Symphony Orchestra is gonna play background while Weezy raps how how much he loves head"

"Did you see the new album cover for "Make It Rain On a Strippa"? It's an interpertation of Basquiat's early work"

:ohhh:

wiz-khalifa-onifc-cover.jpg

pushatennoirtshirtbethiphopawards.jpg

drake-2-chainz-bet-hip-hop-awards-nominations-the-jasmine-brand.jpg

cute-kanye-west-ballet-black-Favim.com-465076.gif

ASAPROCKYDRESS-450x454-307x310.jpg

:smh:

:pacspit: why the fukk did you use kanye as an example, he's far from being pretentious about his money. i wouldn't consider drake to be in that category neither, he sings more about women than money.

anyways most of these guys can't rap anyways, so idk what the complaint is. and they dress like that just for attention. jay kanye and pharrell are the only ones who come off genuine about it.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
I was specifically addressing the dude implying that Rick James was soft based on how he dressed

the overall point that I'm making in this thread, and what the threadstarter is saying is that when it comes to musicians, the actual music should take precedence over the way they present themselves, not the other way around. this goes for any artist, of any genre of any era
And if this is truly the case, then why is the entire thread based on primarily image and only tangentially the music? People haven't even neccessarily directly stated a dislike for the actual music...but moreso offended that in their minds, for whatever reason...it doesn't match with whatever kind of music they feel artists should make if they dress a certain way...like, what is the appropiate form or content of music for someone that wears man dresses like ASAP Rocky? Or is it..."You're not allowed to think minimalist cover art looks cool and decide to use it, if I don't personally like your music :ufdup:"... I don't really understand the concept...how does an image make ASAP or Kanye's music as bad as Snap Music...if it's so much all about the music?

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
the underlying logic is: if everything about your art is tired, repetitive, dull and overdone.....dressing like Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid isn't going to make it better (and it shouldn't)....but in this day and age you have most of the marquee rappers doing just that...regurgitating the same songs with the same topics but presenting their music and themselves as some sort of deep, high-brow artistic shyt

they are not actually pushing the envelope or furthering the genre, but they want to prance around in public dressed like the artists from yesteryear who ACTUALLY DID

and sure, some of it is just a fad of the times: the stupid literal minimalist cover art kanye is so fond of, all the corny illuminati symbolism shyt that they have been milking, etc etc

but on a bigger scale, it's a symptom of the rap game as a whole: it's hemorrhaging money...popularity has waned...record labels are scared to invest in acts like they once did...so there is not a lot of room for error, or a lot of room for creativity...

now as for your point about Prince, sure there are things that make it hard to give artists passes for no matter how much you like their music...and sure people could look back at some of those artists and say "but they were just as weird looking and pretentious as artists today"

Michael Jackson made a big budget movie about saving a bunch of young white kids by transforming into a Power Rangers Megazord version of himself, and a lot of people think he was fukking those young white kids.....but like Chappelle said...he made Thriller man...Thriller

meanwhile Asap Rocky is running around wearing dresses putting out shyt like "I'm comin diiinnneee...pourin uuuuup....gold grill, my nikka wuuuuutt" like he's signed to fukking Swishahouse or something

2 Chainz puttin out singles called "I'm Diff'rent".........can someone explain to me how the fukk he's Diff'rent?

If the argument is about the music, that's one thing. Everything's gonna sound the same because hip-hop is so resistant to change. Urban culture is resistant to change. Hell, hip-hop to an extent is resistant to success. I'm not gonna expect Wiz now to dress like he did when he was broke and on the come up, but because hip-hop fans found a comfort zone in Wiz that we don't wanna let go, anything he could have done to deviate from that would have been frowned upon. It didn't matter if he dressed like Jimi Hendrix or if he decided to wear Dockers khakis and dress shirts.

Urban culture in terms of fashion found something so good we thought we'd be wearing it forever, like how country fans can always rock Wranglers and Cowboy Hats and rodeo belts and never feel out of style. In a perfect world, we're all dressing like Joey Bada$$ and we wouldn't even think twice about it, but that's not how it is. Creativity in hip-hop culture is frowned upon so much because when you think out of the box, you're looking to get into shyt or get into other cultures/classes that we hip-hop heads think are too good for us. I think what older heads can't come to grips with is knowing that the next generation and the generation after won't take what I enjoyed and enjoy it themselves the way other genres/cultures do. By the time we're old and dying hip-hop, the culture we grew up won't even be recognizable to them anymore and that's scary.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
WTF does 'Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music' have to do with CLOTHING?

:mindblown:

Let me to break this down in layman's terms...Let's say artistic creativity is a pie chart.. A lot of these artists are using 90% on the visual and 10% on the audio...I just hope a time is coming where that's flipped around...

It's almost like rap is in its hair metal band era... A lot of nikkas are wearing costumes but don't have a lot of substance behind that image...You had groups like Poison and Cinderella that were all about the presentation of metal hair and make up but made cookie cutter pop music...Then you had a group like Metallica that just wore Levis and black tees and was making classic original music...

blackslash

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
If the argument is about the music, that's one thing. Everything's gonna sound the same because hip-hop is so resistant to change. Urban culture is resistant to change. Hell, hip-hop to an extent is resistant to success. I'm not gonna expect Wiz now to dress like he did when he was broke and on the come up, but because hip-hop fans found a comfort zone in Wiz that we don't wanna let go, anything he could have done to deviate from that would have been frowned upon. It didn't matter if he dressed like Jimi Hendrix or if he decided to wear Dockers khakis and dress shirts.

Urban culture in terms of fashion found something so good we thought we'd be wearing it forever, like how country fans can always rock Wranglers and Cowboy Hats and rodeo belts and never feel out of style. In a perfect world, we're all dressing like Joey Bada$$ and we wouldn't even think twice about it, but that's not how it is. Creativity in hip-hop culture is frowned upon so much because when you think out of the box, you're looking to get into shyt or get into other cultures/classes that we hip-hop heads think are too good for us. I think what older heads can't come to grips with is knowing that the next generation and the generation after won't take what I enjoyed and enjoy it themselves the way other genres/cultures do. By the time we're old and dying hip-hop, the culture we grew up won't even be recognizable to them anymore and that's scary.

THANK UUUU:salute:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When you see a nikka dressing in a Kilt and some Uggs you don't expect that nikka to rap about how many hoes he fukk and how much his watch costs. You'd expect that nikkas content to be outside the box since his physical presentation is as such. You don't expect him to rap about shyt your local "Goon" would be infatuated with like materialism and sexism.

:aicmon::terry::beli::rudy::comeon::snoop: :stopitslime: :upsetfavre:

So when YOUR expectations =/= reality, regardless of how silly your expectations are, this is a lack of substance? Get the fukk outta here.

lol @ the notion that any nikka wouldn't rap about fukkin hoes. lmao @ the notion that someone on some left field fashion shyt wouldn't rap about material shyt.

go head old nikkas. go head

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Where did I imply Rick James was a homo? I said Rick James was Androgynous in which he was. Same goes for Morris Day,Prince,Boy George,George Micheal and Ready for The World. That was the 80's though. Once Gangsta Rap took in the late 80's that Androgyny shyt should've been dead because R&B was no longer the most dominant form of urban music in the ghetto. How do you go from seeing how soft and homo something was and then return to it. It's like seeing how wack your parents bell bottoms were only to be walking thru a thrift store and decide you want to cop some and hit the streets in em. I'd rather see my ppl wear tall T's and baggy jeans over Kilts,Blouses and skin tight jeans any day. I'm not with that androgyny shyt bruh and only fags can co-sign that shyt in 2013. All dem 80's nikkas get a pass because they didn't know no better. But to be raised watching authentic nikkas like Scarface and Too Short to go back to Androgyny is the epitome of fagdom.

So how is hip-hop just now going through a phase that it went through in its infancy?

As for the bolded: the same way we're seeing high top fades, tight jeans and snapbacks. Some aspects of the past are things hip-hop fans liked. Unfortunately for you, it's not the aspects of hip-hop that you liked, hence the disconnect.

It's like seeing how wack your parents bell bottoms were only to be walking thru a thrift store and decide you want to cop some and hit the streets in em. I'd rather see my ppl wear tall T's and baggy jeans over Kilts,Blouses and skin tight jeans any day.

Um, that happened. Vintage is a very popular thing. The #1 song in America right NOW is about shopping at a thrift shop. That's always been a popular thing. It just wasn't a hip-hop thing to do since we think what we do currently will be something that will be popular forever.

Whether you're wearing a tall tee or blouse, in 2013 you're still gonna look like an outdated weirdo. Like I said, you found a style you loved and once that got played out in favor of some old shyt you hated, you can't rock with it. One day, someone will rediscover the 4x tee and pinwheel hats and throwbacks (that isn't Papoose) and we'll have a revival of it. Are they gonna look less ridiculous? No. But I bet you'll feel a lot more comfortable with it when it's something you should have outgrown by now.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
And if this is truly the case, then why is the entire thread based on primarily image and only tangentially the music? People haven't even neccessarily directly stated a dislike for the actual music...but moreso offended that in their minds, for whatever reason...it doesn't match with whatever kind of music they feel artists should make if they dress a certain way...like, what is the appropiate form or content of music for someone that wears man dresses like ASAP Rocky? Or is it..."You're not allowed to think minimalist cover art looks cool and decide to use it, if I don't like personally like your music :ufdup:"... I don't really understand the concept

Let me be clear, I feel the music is mediocre at best....And some of it is straight trash...Bland, generic and predictable...

I'm sorry but I thought that was inferred..

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
OP let me know if you disagree. The underlying theme of this thread is that if you see a guy going out his way to dress different and push the envelope, you would expect his content to be different as well. If I see a nikka walking down the street dressed like Boy George then I would expect that muthafukka to talk different than my local drug dealer. I would also expect him to be more introspective than the average person because if they're that secure with themselves then they shouldn't feel the need to have the same materialistic demons as the average person.