Is country music taking over as the top genre over rap?

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
If Garth Brooks' album in 95 sold what Pac or LL sold, his label would probably drop him.

Country has always been bigger than Hip Hop.

This, the top country artists have been selling out stadiums for decades. George Strait just drew 110,000 people to Kyle Field three months ago. No rapper, from any era, could pull that off.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep, when I saw Beyonce move into that territory with her last album my radar went off. Shaboozey’s song going #1 definitely made me sit up and go :ohhh: . Then the post Malone and Morgan walked song going being labeled song of the summer :mjtf:

I know for a fact those record labels are looking at the same thing or saw it before the rest of us.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
No. Because every genre has to go through Hip Hop to resonate now.

Country music over trap beats is just Hip Hop-infused country music. If you want to matter now, you have to incorporate Hip Hop aesthetic and sensibilities in your sh*t. Nothing moves right now, without Hip Hop flavor attached. Hip Hop is on a 30-year run of dominance. Globally. Nothing is touching that.

Even in it's current wack state, Hip Hop is still the #1 genre in the country. It's a little less than 30% of the market. And the reason it's dropped in percentage is because Hip Hop fans are cheap and stream for free. Most streams are Hip Hop listeners. So imagine if people started actually paying for the music again. Hip Hop would easily have damn near 1/2 the market.

Last edited:

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Country is mainstream. It's already happened.

Nelly is performing at the biggest country festival in CA.

It absorbed rap and pop music techniques and has been growing steadily the past 15+ years. Along with white people reconnecting with MAGA it's very appealing to white folk and neutrals/self-despisers.

I live in SoCal and it's played along regular pop music now.

Hip hop had a long extended run due to numerous bullshyt.

But it's fine with me. Rap music was better when it was something songwriters were crafting. Not just mindless trap drums and auto-tune, which is EXACTLY what popular country is right now.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
OP posted a tweet with the 12 most relevant female artists in the world, none of them are country music stars...so why the thread title lol.

I seem to recall rap music dominating all music discourse in the US this year for damn near 3 months during a rap battle. Rap remains the dominant genre. If there's a concern with rap it's that execs largely view it as a short term investment whereas they're willing to invest in pop. With rappers they're fine with a few heavily streamed singles from the next viral rappers. With pop they're crafting albums, rollouts, and massive tours. Sure rap still has Drake/Cole/Kendrick/Travis/Nicki selling a lot and doing big tours but it's a small list compared to pop.

Rap could use a Sabrina Carpenter-type star, but I understand that a lot of the guys that could have filled that spot are now dead.

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Hip-hop culture is moving shyt round the world, iont care WHAT the numbers looking like.

What slang, and fashion is country music starting round the world Right now?

:yeshrug:

iliketurtles

Do Right And Kill Everything
Daps
Reppin
Free guwop
Hip-hop culture is moving shyt round the world, iont care WHAT the numbers looking like.

What slang, and fashion is country music starting round the world Right now?

:yeshrug:
Stat wise country is on top whether u want to accept it or not is on you

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Stat wise country is on top whether u want to accept it or not is on you
You know what gets more hits than Country music on YouTube? Pregnant Spider-Man and Elsa...for some weird Reason ..Billions of views...

But them numbers Don't mean Shyt in the sculpting of American culture.

Tell me, what slang... Fashion... Style has Country music inspired in the Youth this year?

What's country music got kids around the world doing?

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
We have this argument every few years because people became hyperfixated on album sales and billboard charts and don't understand that Country is a genre that doesn't parallel hip hop in any way.

FWIW, country music is where a lot of failed white rappers end up cause they couldn't cut it.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The thing that doesn’t get talked about much how is loyal the country fanbase is when they truly rock with you like that. It’s a reason why people like Nelly and Post Malone succeeded while others like Miley and JT failed.

They still treat their legacy artist and artist from other genres like a big deal, which fanbases from hip hop would called washed.

Their legacy artist aren’t going to have those issues selling out venues or performing at smaller ones like others do.

Other genres may be more lucrative, but country is where the longevity money is.