Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
Rocky wears the most horrible fukkin outfits sometimes. He's trying to create his own "style" and failing miserably almost every step of the way.

He is probably the most gimmicky forced mainstream rapper of all time.

Everything about this nikka is trash and he is a terrible ny representer

This nikka be name dropping shyt just because nikka don't even be rhyming coherently half the time. :mindblown:

Better yet, I don't even understand half the shyt he saying :heh:

Guess I lack faq.....I mean swag :youngsabo:

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats the problem with the game nowadays. Internet got every mothafukka thinking that their arm chair, mom's basement, opinion matters. Rappers always been dressing like weirdo's and doing extra ordinary shyt.

Its jus that now, cuz of the net all these grandpa ass nikkas finally get a chance to cry about how "Thangs aint the saaame"

Ya'll the same type of people who would of prolly called Cam corny for rocking pink n having a Pink Range rover, or Slick Rick "trying to hard" for having a eye patch, or Ghostface being a weirdo for walking around in Robes, or Method Man being a loser for calling no color'ed eye lenses.

Let these nikkas do their damm thang man :rudy: , if its weird to you or their trying to hard jus keep it moving.

I agree with a lot of what you say, and probably around the same age, but I think what they OP is saying is that.. .there was some merit for the way that those artist (Cam/ Dre 3000/ Slick) dressed..

Cam and Rick both had a unique style when they spit... all of which were game changing (I wasn't around for slick's time, but I know he was a game changer)... Nowadays all these rappers want to have that "Unique quality Image wise" and dress outlandish, while still making the same music as the next man.. It seems nowadays everybody just tries to be soo different, but in reality they are all the same...

You brought up Cam... at the time, he was completely different than most acts out... You can say his music matched his image that he portrayed..

BTW.. I fukks with ASAP's music

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
I think you're missing the OP's points and confusing him with the dudes who strictly hate on the flamboyant clothing. what he's saying is that the "artistic," left field, unique image a lot of these rappers portray doesn't match the basic, generic content that they actually spit. basically, you can take two rappers who rap about the exact same shyt, but have one spit over Imogen Heap samples while wearing high fashion and starring in dramatic black and white videos, and then have the other wear a hoodie while spitting over trap beats. one of them will be hailed as a true visionary artist by white hipster bloggers while the other will be considered a generic hood rapper. people easily mistake style for substance in this era.

:salute:

I joke but I honestly don't care how any of these dudes dress...

It's the smoke and mirrors aspect of the art I'm addressing... I don't care if you're 18 or 48.. You can't pull the wool over my eyes...

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if ya'll are gonna turn this into a generational thing, look at someone like Prince.

dude was always rocking weirdo, effeminate clothing that even had all the androgynous jheri curl 80's ass nyggas all :huhldup: but at the end of the day, his music was so groundbreaking, left field and progressive that you couldn't deny his artistry or dismiss him as a gimmick. now there were a lot of copy cat bands who mimicked his style but couldn't mimic his artistry. imagine if those copy cats were hailed as artistic geniuses like Prince was just because of the way they looked and how they presented themselves. that's what the OP is saying is wrong with the game today

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Too keep it even more G,

Lil Bibby and Rocky be using the same producers. The damm producers that Rocky brought into the game.

vs

I agree shyt be corny as fukk nowadays with all these Tumblr rappers n shyt, but at least shyt switched up. Which we all know is gonna switch up again when that "New nikka of the year" comes in and gives all these rappers a new wave to ride

Last edited by a moderator:

charmander

Alhamdulillah
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey HawkSet ByrdGang
Wiz Khalifa came in the game with something original, and of quality. (Kush &OJ)

So did ASAP Rocky. (Live Love ASAP , Long Live ASAP)

Maybe if ya nikkas got ya head out of the 90s for a second and actually listen to these nikkas music you would be able to see? :manny:

since when are asap rocky and wiz khalifa suddenly benchmarks of originality? :why:

asap has spent his entire career pretending to be from houston, wiz spent his entire career pretending to be too short and max b

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The lane is wide open for a real nikka to come thru and crush the building by rejecting everything about this shyt in the rap game?where he at?we just need that perfect storm:ohlawd:...nikkas will drop all this artsy shyt tommorow if a dude blow up with sum hard shyt and call that shyt gay...they'll be back in t-shirts the next day

blackslash

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Yall dont understand is it is a generational thing and it will ALWAYS be a generational thing

And you old bitter nikkaz no longer belong...BYE Bye this is no longer for yall

This is why u see nikkaz like Nas already sucking up to the newer artists in the game cuz he knows thats what needs to be done and he doesnt see things the way u smart dumb nikkaz who feel like yall have a proper platform to be commentating on anything see things.

I said it once and I'll say it again

Old nikkaz in this thread just being :flabbynsick:
U have biases towards the artists u grew up on and hold double standards when it comes to them and this generation's artists but u try to mask it by connecting it to the music which u cant even percieve properly without your :flabbynsick: biases blinding you from the virtues and creativity of their music and downplaying it.

It is a generational thing..:flabbynsick:ness dont belong in Hip Hop

Bye Bye :umad:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:old: nikka thread for sure

Lemme get this straight: This thread isn't about the flamboyancy of today's rappers (because it would be way too easy to call you out on your hypocrisy as Romanti already has) but it's because their music doesn't relfect said flamboyancy? That's the problem?:dwillhuh:

Well then I'd like to propose a question; Why the fukk do you care what these grown ass men wear? I thought hip hop was a genre of MUSIC. Instead there is in unnatural amount of focus on their clothes as if it HAS to match their sound. Did your copy of ONIFC come with a hologram wiz that dances like :stylin: in some leather pants and a poodle fur coat? if it didn't then what effect does this have on the music?

When nikkas discuss Tupac they never talk about the suspect shyt he wore. It was all about the emotional music and HENNESSYYY. Because it was about music, not aligning his fashion with your tastes.

And what exactly is the type content they should be rapping about to fit your image bill? :shaq2: Wiz is shown smokin a lot of weed and wearing stupid clothes. Lo and behold Wiz raps about weed and blowing money on shyt like clothes. :mindblown: Sounds pretty congruent. The only thing that could possibly fit an "out there" image is some "out there" production to match. Otherwise rappers are gonna rap about the same shyt they always have.

Complaining just to complain. Reeks of :flabbynsick:

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
since when are asap rocky and wiz khalifa suddenly benchmarks of originality? :why:

asap has spent his entire career pretending to be from houston, wiz spent his entire career pretending to be too short and max b

:comeon:

So now LLA and Kush & OJ did not usher in half of these rap nikkas styles?
(Tatted Up Weed Smoker) n (Avante Garde Imogen Heap rappers)

Cats complaining about originality when the same cats ya bytching about are original.

What is it Char? Black Girl Lost or Shorty owe me for ice :usure: :smugbiden:

charmander

Alhamdulillah
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey HawkSet ByrdGang

Lemme get this straight: This thread isn't about the flamboyancy of today's rappers (because it would be way too easy to call you out on your hypocracy as Romanti already has) but it's because their music doesn't relfect said flamboyancy? That's the problem?:dwillhuh:

Well then I'd like to propose a question; Why the fukk do you care what these grown ass men wear? I thought hip hop was a genre of MUSIC. Instead there is in unnatural amount of focus on their clothes as if it HAS to match their sound. Did your copy of ONIFC come with a hologram wiz that dances like :stylin: in some leather pants and a poodle fur coat? if it didn't then what effect does this have on the music?

When nikkas discuss Tupac they never talk about the suspect shyt he wore. It was all about the emotional music and HENNESSYYY. Because it was about music, not aligning his fashion with your tastes.

And what exactly is the type content they should be rapping about to fit your image bill? :shaq2: Wiz is shown smokin a lot of weed and wearing stupid clothes. Lo and behold Wiz raps about weed and blowing money on shyt like clothes. :mindblown:

Complaining just to complain. Reeks of :flabbynsick:

since the inception of the music business, the image has sold the music....you sound very naive

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree wholeheartedly.

But as a counter arguement, can one not say that is original of itself. ASAP Rocky & Lil B came in the game with this new wave. Did they not? Besides Kanye, who in the rap game was on that Avante-garde, bells & whistles, shyt before Rocky dropped Peso's?

nikkas complaining about original and shyt while banging their heads to Cheif Keef and Lil Bibby, but get mad when a nikka comes into the game dressing different and ushering in new sounds?:troll:

true, and I give him credit for that.

I actually like Rocky, always been a fan of the dude. he's got a good flow, decent lyrics, great ear for beats and his videos are dope. my issue is moreso with the bloggers and critics who make him out to be more than what he really is, but that shyt aint Rocky's fault. I don't know where his heads at, but more than likely he just wants to make enjoyable hip hop over good beats, and is probably confused by all the critics calling him an avant garde musical genius, but doesn't feel like destroying their perception of him.

I think he has the potential to become the artist that so many bloggers believe he is. but he isn't there yet.

3 stacks, Common when he was messing with Erykah, MF Doom, etc are examples of rappers who's abstract style actually matches their lyrical content. which is why while a lot of people were :wtf: at their fashion choices, they were still respected as artists

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth

Lemme get this straight: This thread isn't about the flamboyancy of today's rappers (because it would be way too easy to call you out on your hypocrisy as Romanti already has) but it's because their music doesn't relfect said flamboyancy? That's the problem?:dwillhuh:

:

Just replace the word "creativity" where you put "flamboyancy" and yes thats exactly what I'm sayin..

:myman:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yall dont understand is it is a generational thing and it will ALWAYS be a generational thing

And you old bitter nikkaz no longer belong...BYE Bye this is no longer for yall

This is why u see nikkaz like Nas already sucking up to the newer artists in the game cuz he knows thats what needs to be done and he doesnt see things the way u smart dumb nikkaz who feel like yall have a proper platform to be commentating on anything see things.

I said it once and I'll say it again

Old nikkaz in this thread just being :flabbynsick:
U have biases towards the artists u grew up on and hold double standards when it comes to them and this generation's artists but u try to mask it by connecting it to the music which u cant even percieve properly without your :flabbynsick: biases blinding you from the virtues and creativity of their music and downplaying it.

It is a generational thing..:flabbynsick:ness dont belong in Hip Hop

Bye Bye :umad:

:comeon: I'm 24, miss me with that shyt. Are there a lot of hating old ass nyggas mad because their way of life is no longer considered "cool"? absolutely. is my generation responsible for a lot of bullshyt that deserves to be called out? absolutely