Predict the box office of the comic book films of 2017

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Up until this weekend every weekend for gotg 2 has been higher than the weekends of gotg 1. The weekdays interestingly had been higher for gotg 1 mostly.

Most places had gotg 2 finishing around 13-15 million this weekend and it made less than 10 (if estimates hold). Shows me that wonder woman releasing will probably take out its legs as these are basically the same audiences seeing these films.

Something to keep an eye on with justice League releasing a couple weeks after thor :ehh:

These studios would be wise to keep their movies at least a month apart going forward. IMO

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Up until this weekend every weekend for gotg 2 has been higher than the weekends of gotg 1. The weekdays interestingly had been higher for gotg 1 mostly.

Most places had gotg 2 finishing around 13-15 million this weekend and it made less than 10 (if estimates hold). Shows me that wonder woman releasing will probably take out its legs as these are basically the same audiences seeing these films.

Something to keep an eye on with justice League releasing a couple weeks after thor :ehh:

These studios would be wise to keep their movies at least a month apart going forward. IMO

Just think how much more Logan would have made if March wasn't so loaded

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky

Gotg had a full month to make its money though...Which it did, but a lot of these movies don't get that much time to cash in since big movies drop every other week. WW has a good chance to make a three week run at the top depending on word of mouth. It should beat out the mummy next weekend.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Just think how much more Logan would have made if March wasn't so loaded

Well it was also R rated breh so there was a cap on it anyway. Just by definition, it shrunk the size of its audience, which isn't a bad thing at all but it does handicap you a bit. I agree with @Prodigal Syndicate though, they need to really space stuff out. Give it a month to breathe. That said, Guardians has done most of its business by now, helped by pirates and baywatch underperforming so they're good. The Thor and JL thing is going to be crazy tho

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Well it was also R rated breh so there was a cap on it anyway. Just by definition, it shrunk the size of its audience, which isn't a bad thing at all but it does handicap you a bit. I agree with @Prodigal Syndicate though, they need to really space stuff out. Give it a month to breathe. That said, Guardians has done most of its business by now, helped by pirates and baywatch underperforming so they're good. The Thor and JL thing is going to be crazy tho
We are seeing a repeat of last summer where everything but comic book films are under performing.

Sequels especially. Alien might not make half of prometheus.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
We are seeing a repeat of last summer where everything but comic book films are under performing.

Sequels especially. Alien might not make half of prometheus.
Apes should do well. It'll be interesting to see how the audience goes with that and spider man especially since more parents might feel better about taking their kids to see spider man than apes, which aren't kids movies at all lol. It Comes At Night should do fine next week cause us horror geeks need something new in our lives, but the real question is this: What in the hell is the Pac movie going to do? That drops in two weeks

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Apes should do well. It'll be interesting to see how the audience goes with that and spider man especially since more parents might feel better about taking their kids to see spider man than apes, which aren't kids movies at all lol. It Comes At Night should do fine next week cause us horror geeks need something new in our lives, but the real question is this: What in the hell is the Pac movie going to do? That drops in two weeks
Yeah it comes at night has had good trailers and it's perfect counter programming in between all the blockbusters.

No idea about the pac movie. I think it will depend on the quality of the film. I think it should at least $20 million opening weekend. Internationally it could do well considering what a global figure 2pac was.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah it comes at night has had good trailers and it's perfect counter programming in between all the blockbusters.

No idea about the pac movie. I think it will depend on the quality of the film. I think it should at least $20 million opening weekend. Internationally it could do well considering what a global figure 2pac was.

Yeah I keep thinking about it because I have this waining interest in it the more i think about it and the more I see of it.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Wonder woman is at ~435 million after 2 weeks,not out everywhere. Safe to say it's going to blow past my 600 million prediction. Likely will make over 700 million and pass man of steel.

It dropped less than 50% 2nd weekend which is an insane drop for a comic book film. And women in fact the driving force.

Gotg 2 is at ~828 million. Doubt it makes it to ~850 at this point.

DlAMONDZ

That pu$$y got me grinning
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Justice League will get a bit of a Wonder Woman boost if she's marketed enough but it's not hitting a billion unless reviews are good (won't happen unless Whedon's impact is bigger than expected).

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Going to make the most domestically out of the DCEU since it's only $12M away from BVS :ehh:
Easily.

I was wrong about about that flick. Thought it would come close to 300 like MoS did. Had great word of mouth, great reviews and terrible competition. Good for them. Still haven't seen it tho.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Easily.

I was wrong about about that flick. Thought it would come close to 300 like MoS did. Had great word of mouth, great reviews and terrible competition. Good for them. Still haven't seen it tho.

Props for admitting you were wrong breh. But the terrible comp thing isn't even half the story because even with terrible comp you'd expect a bigger drop off week to week in its numbers. That's just normal for blockbusters even when the movies competing with it aren't as great or that great or anything like that because the belief is you did most of your business that first weekend and then the audience will be cut in half or more than half. This shyt has held up pretty well for almost a month now, which is pretty dope. Just saw it again yesterday and yeah it's still a winner front to back.

Scott Mendelson at Forbes goes through all this shyt with numbers and multipliers and box office because he clearly understands it from a mathematics standpoint and math makes me curl in a fetal position, but read some of his shyt every now and then if you want some insight into it because it's fascinating shyt, even for someone like me who hates math