Power Rangers Movie Thread

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
While I don't question the subtle aspects of making the "black ranger" the "blue ranger", what exactly would your alternatives be?

Black Yellow Ranger like Aisha? She had zero personality but at least she looked good.I can hear the bedwench and/or stereotypical loudmouth chick complaints already, while upset there's no black male representation.
Black Black Ranger like Zack? c00n that's dancing and hasn't evolved and a sidekick train coming right up.
Black Red Ranger? The Jason being black backlash from fanboys would take away from shyt and really just piss me off to be honest. It'd be a good look but the bytching would just be annoying, outside of whatever the movie is like.
Black Blue Ranger? Like Billy in the original, made the communicators, the Rad-Bug, brain/rationale of the team who was really only a nerd for Bulk and Skull and had to be on some Clark Kent shyt to not rise suspicion. In retrospect, he was the most relied upon and stable. All that ruined because the real-life person was gay.
Black Green Ranger - I actually really like that idea. Wish they'd do it, the Jason being black argument withstanding. I agree it'd be nice to see an alpha presentation versus settling/rationalizing for brains. Although I'm sure someone will complain he had to be put under some spell and weak or some shyt. :russ:

Talking about it realistically, no shyt, no one as a child wanted to be Billy. It's Tommy, Jason or Zack, or bust - that's not lost on me. As an adult, having a black character potentially serve as the brains of the team is a better representation than having the record skip and scratch whenever he walks on the screen or throws a punch. He's not a leader like Leonardo or an alpha like Raphael, but I'll take a black Donatello in this climate and not feel any extra ways about it. Billy's the nerd, it shows Billy being a nerd in the trailer. Whether or not that persists for the entire movie is still open. I'm not saying there aren't insidious reasons behind it, but consider the alternatives. For all we know, he's the meek nerd to begin and becomes an alpha once he gets his powers. This trailer, in real time, literally covers what the show did in the first episode. There's plenty more to come of it.

Man get the ENTIRE fukk outta here with this drivel.

Zack wasn't a c00n because he liked to dance. The brother was headstrong, determined, and had a BLACK girlfriend on the show. He wasn't tap dancing for Cacs. Billy had ZERO swag. Got ZERO girls. And was the meekest of the bunch. They had entire episodes dedicated to this dude being two steps away from pathetic and everyone had to help boost his confidence. fukk that. We already got that in Star Wars: The Finn Sleeps. If you compare the trailer to Finn's representation it's almost the EXACT same character except it looks like they threw this black Billy a pity win against one of the bullies (Finn got ZERO wins the entire movie). shyt is fukking ridiculous. Even they wanted to make him the "brains" of the group there are much better wars of doing it then turning this nikka into Steve fukking Urkel

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It won't be as bad but it's obviously not going to be faithful to its source material. We didn't even see Zordon or any Puddies.

Zordon is in the movie...breh its a teaser trailer. They're not going to blow their wad. Alpha is in it, Zordon is in it, Goldar and putties. It's going to be faithful in the sense of the characters included and actually trying to give the rangers some personality of their own since the show dropped the ball on that for the most part. But the idea that they're going to show everything in the teaser trailer isn't the right one to have

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
Man get the ENTIRE fukk outta here with this drivel.

Zack wasn't a c00n because he liked to dance. The brother was headstrong, determined, and had a BLACK girlfriend on the show. He wasn't tap dancing for Cacs. Billy had ZERO swag. Got ZERO girls. And was the meekest of the bunch. They had entire episodes dedicated to this dude being two steps away from pathetic and everyone had to help boost his confidence. fukk that. We already got that in Star Wars: The Finn Sleeps. If you compare the trailer to Finn's representation it's almost the EXACT same character except it looks like they threw this black Billy a pity win against one of the bullies (Finn got ZERO wins the entire movie). shyt is fukking ridiculous. Even they wanted to make him the "brains" of the group there are much better wars of doing it then turning this nikka into Steve fukking Urkel

I'm not calling him a cool I'm saying people would complain about it.

I agree - someone described making him the brains while being anti social and not having to be a punk and I would've liked that more than him being scared. I'm just saying the entirety of him being a "punk" may not be on display in a 2 minute trailer that only included Jason sticking up for him, being hesitant to jump off a cliff and going Colossus on a bully. We saw Billy the nerd be Billy a nerd in a trailer. There may be more to it. :yeshrug:

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Don't know if I'm feeling the outcast part...

Only outcast was Billy, and even he started to loosen up a bit later in the series. shyt them nikkas was apart of all the fundraisers, school dances and shyt like that. Hell them Angel grove nikkas loved Zack, watching the mufukka dance in the park and shyt.

Part of the whole theme was them trying to keep their super hero alternate lives secret from everyone else. nikkas would notice if Kimberly would be missing and shyt all the damn time. Folks ain't necessarily gonna notice the EMO chick not there in class all week.

Last edited:

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
How about just a normal acting black character?

Do you think they'll have the Asian kid as the black ranger shucking and jiving like that? Highly unlikely.

You're making excuses for it, but I don't like this trend. I bet you didn't see anything wrong with Finn either.

I'm not making excuses and I don't watch Star Wars.

He could be a "normal" black kid, but that wouldn't stay true to Billy. It looks hey're pulling from the blueprint of the characters and expanding. Billy wouldn't be Billy without being a nerd, regardless of race. We didn't see much about the characters to get much other than Jason is the leader, Kimberly being affiliated with gymnastics and Billy being the nerd we know his character to be. I'm just reserving outrage for now. :yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
How about just a normal acting black character?

Do you think they'll have the Asian kid as the black ranger shucking and jiving like that? Highly unlikely.

You're making excuses for it, but I don't like this trend. I bet you didn't see anything wrong with Finn either.

Here's my only gripe with the "normal acting black character"...normal by whose standards?

To say that Zack or Billy or any black character needs to project a certain masculinity or attitude or behavior is to say that all of us are the same and all of us are alike. But we're all different. We grew up in different environments and like different things which is why I don't trip over this version of billy being the way he is from what I've seen. I don't believe that every black man is alike and we all have to walk the same path. I grew up around guys who were loud and obnoxious types, quiet shy types, nerdy types, jocks, weird, whatever. We don't all walk to the same drum and while a nerdy Billy may not appeal to someone, it's a good bet there's a kid out there who will gravitate to it and say there's someone on screen who truly reflects his reality.

I've got more in common with Peter Parker than Luke Cage and I'm completely cool with that. But I'm proud there's a guy like Cage. While I can identify with his skin color and his nobility, that's where it stops. I'm not the strongest guy walking, I'm not the biggest guy, I'm not from Georgia, I damn sure don't intimidate a damn person unless my mouth goes off:russ: And when I was in high school, especially freshman year, i wasn't always the most confident cat. I grew into it. So Peter Parker was someone I completely identified with because he didn't always have his shyt together. Someone like Luke or Panther would be who I'd aspire to be probably but Peter is more my reality:yeshrug:

Last edited: