Poll:Which movie was better, The Avengers or The Dark Knight?

Better comic book film?

• Total voters

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Well first, Batman & Robin and Batman Begins sort of argue against that. They both did significantly lesser numbers than the other movies of their kind, mainly because of how bad B&R was and BB having to hit the reset button.

But I do agree ticket sales aren't a true indicator of a great time, but keeping it real a great time is subjective too. I think EVERYONE in this thread liked TDK, but many of us liked it much more than others. You might have liked it WAY more than me, but does that mean I didn't have a great time watching it too?

When I'm talking ticket numbers, I'm talking about people who liked it enough to stay through the movie and support it. To ME, to financially support something is the TRUE standard of being a fan. Lots of people like Rakim, but how many of those people have actually bought a Rakim album? How can you claim to be a fan or like something if you aren't even willing to put your money on it? Same thing with these movies, if you are a fan of it, you are going to financially support it, because that's the only tangible way you are going to receive more OF it. Follow me?

I agree with that to a degree. Hip Hop music is notoriously bootlegged beyond belief and a lot of artists have sold a lot of albums without selling albums. In order to sell a lot of records you need to crossover and even then it's no guarantee

Gizza

Can’t find a job, YOU can rap at least
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norcal
It sounds like "comic book movies" aren't for you, homie. :yeshrug:

Hero being mind controlled for villainy, Heroes meeting and fighting before a team up and back and forth banter.... ALL of these things are established comic book tropes. You will see them in any comic book series that lasts more than 2 years.

I'm not even trying to convince you to like them, but all the stuff you see in Avengers is stuff you see in a regular comic book, that's why it was such a GOOD "Comic book movie". TDK definitely took a more serious and realistic approach instead which is an interesting spin, but not my cup of tea.

I know I have read Batman for over 20 years and the guy I saw in Nolan's trilogy didn't resemble any Batman I've ever read about, but I know some people like it.

Breh you're a Avengers stan who's trollin I saw your posts on the last two pages. :comeon: I would pay $5 weekly & get comics in the late 90's stop it. Avengers is :trash: & Nolan's Dark Knight felt like an actual person makin choices in a dark demented city. I agree on the bolded though

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
But here's the thing I'm not arguing whether anything is well liked I'm arguing if it's good that's the difference. Vanilla Ice is not a good rapper. Ice Ice Baby being a popular and well liked song is one thing but you don't have to be a good rapper or a good singer to make a popular song. And I stand by what I say on Avatar and Titanic, just going by critic opinion and the general consensus of film fans. Although Titanic is much more loved than Avatar, I'm not arguing loved or liked I'm arguing good. Avatar isn't a good flick...it's ok, but I don't think it's a great film by any means. What is great about it is the spectacle and spectacle puts butts in seats. The one thing Avengers has over Dark Knight is spectacle but I believe from a filmmaking standpoint, Dark Knight is the superior flick.

I've never been one to really care about what's popular it's never equaled good to me. There are times when it does and a lot of times when it doesn't. I feel that the Avengers should make more money than Dark Knight because it's the more family friendly flick, it's a lot more fun, and it's easier to digest. But I just side with Dark Knight on this one because while they're both good, one appeals more to what I enjoy about film: something that entertains and challenges

On the first part, I hear what you saying bruh, but "Good" is subjective. What is good to me, may not be good to you and vice versa. And what is good to both of us, may not be good to another poster in this thread. We all got different standards and they are ALL subjective. Which is why I take less credence in subjective reviews and MORE credence on objective numbers. Because if a movie is doing record numbers and getting THAT much support, that means people are REALLY loving it for some reason.

And not ONCE have I bashed TDK as a movie, I think its GREAT and I loved it! But I'm a self admitted comic book fan, so I enjoyed reveling in the Avengers because it was so true to comic books. Lot of people here didn't like it, that's cool, but I did and plenty of people also did enough to guarantee 2 sequels. I gotta tip my hat to that.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I agree with that to a degree. Hip Hop music is notoriously bootlegged beyond belief and a lot of artists have sold a lot of albums without selling albums. In order to sell a lot of records you need to crossover and even then it's no guarantee

Hiphop ain't the only music that is bootlegged.

And let's not act like TDK and Avengers weren't bootlegged either. I actually got them both myself and liked them so much I went to the theatre to support them.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Breh you're a Avengers stan who's trollin I saw your posts on the last two pages. :comeon: I would pay $5 weekly & get comics in the late 90's stop it. Avengers is :trash: & Nolan's Dark Knight felt like an actual person makin choices in a dark demented city. I agree on the bolded though

I'm not trolling bruh. Having a difference in opinion doesn't make a person a troll, unless that means you are trolling me??? :ohhh:

As far as the rest goes.... that's your opinion :yeshrug:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
That's bullshyt. I haven't bought a CD since like '02. That means I can't claim to be a fan?

If you refuse to support your favorite artists, then what makes you a fan of them? :yeshrug:

Just because you say so? :sadbron:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
On the first part, I hear what you saying bruh, but "Good" is subjective. What is good to me, may not be good to you and vice versa. And what is good to both of us, may not be good to another poster in this thread. We all got different standards and they are ALL subjective. Which is why I take less credence in subjective reviews and MORE credence on objective numbers. Because if a movie is doing record numbers and getting THAT much support, that means people are REALLY loving it for some reason.

And not ONCE have I bashed TDK as a movie, I think its GREAT and I loved it! But I'm a self admitted comic book fan, so I enjoyed reveling in the Avengers because it was so true to comic books. Lot of people here didn't like it, that's cool, but I did and plenty of people also did enough to guarantee 2 sequels. I gotta tip my hat to that.

I'm a comic book fan too breh and while the Avengers is definitely true to the comic, that's the reason I don't read the Avengers because I'm not going to get anything really deep out of it. Although I can get deep things out of their books individually, once they all hook up it's just not for me. And by deep I just mean basic characterization and character development and stakes. I prefer characters with more stuff going on underneath which is why I responded to Cap 2 more than the Avengers or even the Iron Man flicks because first and foremost it's about the characters and the spectacle 2nd. I can enjoy the Avengers on first blush but because it's a surface film (and that's not a knock) I can't go back to it

And yeah I feel you on your first point but I really don't give a damn about numbers. Because numbers can be propped up by anything. I gotta like what I like and stand by it. Not that many people saw Dredd in the theater but I'll be damned if I don't think it's a great flick and stands toe to toe with a lot of comic book adaptations.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Hiphop ain't the only music that is bootlegged.

And let's not act like TDK and Avengers weren't bootlegged either. I actually got them both myself and liked them so much I went to the theatre to support them.

I'd bet it's the one bootlegged the most due to it's nature of being urban music so urban fans are going to do what they gotta do to get their hands on it and if that means not paying for it, so be it

Daps
Reppin
NYC
If you refuse to support your favorite artists, then what makes you a fan of them? :yeshrug:

Just because you say so? :sadbron:

I give them the most valuable commodity of all, my time. Something far greater than money.

I owe them nothing more than that.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I'm a comic book fan too breh and while the Avengers is definitely true to the comic, that's the reason I don't read the Avengers because I'm not going to get anything really deep out of it. Although I can get deep things out of their books individually, once they all hook up it's just not for me. And by deep I just mean basic characterization and character development and stakes. I prefer characters with more stuff going on underneath which is why I responded to Cap 2 more than the Avengers or even the Iron Man flicks because first and foremost it's about the characters and the spectacle 2nd. I can enjoy the Avengers on first blush but because it's a surface film (and that's not a knock) I can't go back to it

And yeah I feel you on your first point but I really don't give a damn about numbers. Because numbers can be propped up by anything. I gotta like what I like and stand by it. Not that many people saw Dredd in the theater but I'll be damned if I don't think it's a great flick and stands toe to toe with a lot of comic book adaptations.

And there is nothing wrong with any of this, I completely understand what you are saying.

But to continue to receive what you enjoy, be it movies, music, whatever, it needs actual fan support to continue. We Capitalists bruh. Things that don't sell, don't survive. If Avengers didn't do good numbers, we might not be getting any more comic book movies. I definitely am about a balance between critique and numbers, but I sort of reject the idea that only one side matters because they are both important IMO.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
And there is nothing wrong with any of this, I completely understand what you are saying.

But to continue to receive what you enjoy, be it movies, music, whatever, it needs actual fan support to continue. We Capitalists bruh. Things that don't sell, don't survive. If Avengers didn't do good numbers, we might not be getting any more comic book movies. I definitely am about a balance between critique and numbers, but I sort of reject the idea that only one side matters because they are both important IMO.

I agree with that which is why I support everything I like. Fan support means a lot which is why everyone complaining about getting more of a certain type of movies, they fail to understand as long as they keep making money it doesn't matter

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I give them the most valuable commodity of all, my time. Something far greater than money.

I owe them nothing more than that.

I hear what you saying bruh, but me giving Common my time isn't gonna encourage him to continue making music. Only my money will do that. And if I want more Common music, I've got to put my money where my mouth is.

it pains me especially with Hiphop that more don't believe in this because while quality artists struggle to put out music, I have to hear tons of Drake songs simply because he sells a lot. But if I don't support my artists, then I don't really have room to complain.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm gonna let this ride for now although I'm not sure we needed a poll because 3 guys said they preferred "The Avengers" in another thread. But :yeshrug:

Also the "stan" baiting is treading dangerously close to The Arcadium. Let's not do that.

A more interesting poll would be which is worse, "TDKR" or "Ironman 3".

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I hear what you saying bruh, but me giving Common my time isn't gonna encourage him to continue making music. Only my money will do that. And if I want more Common music, I've got to put my money where my mouth is.

If ______ doesn't wanna make music no more cause he can't get rich off it then fukk him. Not my problem. No one is entitled to make a living from a hobby or a craft. Music takes time to create and so if I am a fan I will in turn give my time in exchange and listen to it. Anything beyond that (especially money) is charity.

If every _____ fan donated a dollar I'm sure it would more than pay for the production and recording of the album. But I'm sorry I'm not gonna pay 12.99 for something I can acquire for free just so _____ doesn't have to work a real job. Again, not my problem.