Poll:Which movie was better, The Avengers or The Dark Knight?

Better comic book film?

• Total voters

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
OP said more people liked TDK over Avengers. I was one of the people who brought up box office numbers to refute that.

My opinion, people speak with their wallets because that makes the most "noise". Avengers did better numbers and made more money than TDK overall. More people supported it with their money, which I'd argue as approval for the movie. Do you disagree?

I disagree breh. Just because there are several instances of quality not being rewarded with dollars and several instances of the reverse. Transformers makes A LOT of money and I don't think anyone would really call either four of them great movies. Vanilla Ice and Hammer sold A LOT of records, more than Rakim in 1990, or Public Enemy, or EPMD but no hip hop fan would say Vanilla Ice is a legend and one of the greatest of all time. Titanic and Avatar are the two highest grossing films of all time but I don't think that many people would call them great films all around, especially Avatar

Daps
Reppin
NYC
OP said more people liked TDK over Avengers. I was one of the people who brought up box office numbers to refute that.

My opinion, people speak with their wallets because that makes the most "noise". Avengers did better numbers and made more money than TDK overall. More people supported it with their money, which I'd argue as approval for the movie. Do you disagree?

If a movie makes a lot of money it means a lot of people SAW it.

More people SAW Avengers in theaters than Dark Knight. Take from that what you will.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
If a movie makes a lot of money it means a lot of people SAW it.

More people SAW Avengers in the theaters than Dark Knight. Take from that what you will.

I agree.

But movies ain't cheap and limited seats are available. People CHOOSE to go watch these movies. I don't think anyone CHOOSES to go see a movie they don't like and on the off chance they did, they can and will ask and receive their money back (grew up working in a theatre, happened regularly). Avengers and TDK didn't do record numbers because people didn't like them, they did record numbers because people WANTED to go see and support them and ENJOYED what they saw. You feel where I'm coming from here?

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I don't think anyone CHOOSES to go see a movie they don't like and on the off chance they did, they can and will ask and receive their money back

How can you know if you like a movie if you haven't seen it yet.

People pay to see movies they wanna see. Obviously for whatever reason the Avengers drew more people to the theaters and honestly I'm not surprised. It was a movie event of the likes not seen before.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I disagree breh. Just because there are several instances of quality not being rewarded with dollars and several instances of the reverse. Transformers makes A LOT of money and I don't think anyone would really call either four of them great movies. Vanilla Ice and Hammer sold A LOT of records, more than Rakim in 1990, or Public Enemy, or EPMD but no hip hop fan would say Vanilla Ice is a legend and one of the greatest of all time. Titanic and Avatar are the two highest grossing films of all time but I don't think that many people would call them great films all around, especially Avatar

Straight up man, I'm a HUGE transformers fan too and I have/had no real problem with those movies.

And while critics don't care for them, they have a HUGE fanbase that enjoys and supports those movies. If nobody liked them, they wouldn't be on their 4th, soon to be 5th movie. They would have never made it past 2.

Hammer and Vanilla Ice sold a ton, but for their short periods they had a HUGE fanbase, I think that's pretty undeniable. Ice Ice Baby and U Can't Touch This are more well known, loved and cherished than ANYTHING Rakim has done, unfortunately. The difference between those two rappers was that they had a HUGE fall off in quality AND fan support, fans speak with their wallets and they decided they did not like them anymore. I think this holds true in any business industry.

if people didn't like Avengers, TDK/TDKR, Transformers, etc, they wouldn't make the money, do the numbers or get constant sequels like they do. SOMEBODY is supporting these movies, even if its not me, you or the Coli.

Popular opinion CAN often suck, but it is something you always have to take in consideration.

And I do disagree with you saying Titanic and Avatar aren't universally loved. I'd argue those are THE TWO most universally loved movies ever.... Avengers is 3rd :sas2:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
How can you know if you like a movie if you haven't seen it yet.

People pay to see movies they wanna see. Obviously for whatever reason the Avengers drew more people to the theaters and honestly I'm not surprised. It was a movie event of the likes not seen before.

I mean, in today's age with prescreens, reviews weeks before the movie drops, almost on the day leaks and all sorts of ways to obtain information, you don't people can and have already made up their minds before they go to see it? That's a common human trait, we often make up our minds on something before it actually happens, its the reason the nation is so divided on politics.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I mean, in today's age with prescreens, reviews weeks before the movie drops, almost on the day leaks and all sorts of ways to obtain information, you don't people can and have already made up their minds before they go to see it? That's a common human trait, we often make up our minds on something before it actually happens, its the reason the nation is so divided on politics.

Yes we base our opinions on marketing, the trailers, the actors cast in the movie, the director, the reviews, whatever....

Batman is one of the most popular "anything" in the world. People are gonna go see it. Ticket sales aren't an indicator that everyone who paid an admission fee had a great time. It just means a lot of people saw the movie.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Straight up man, I'm a HUGE transformers fan too and I have/had no real problem with those movies.

And while critics don't care for them, they have a HUGE fanbase that enjoys and supports those movies. If nobody liked them, they wouldn't be on their 4th, soon to be 5th movie. They would have never made it past 2.

Hammer and Vanilla Ice sold a ton, but for their short periods they had a HUGE fanbase, I think that's pretty undeniable. Ice Ice Baby and U Can't Touch This are more well known, loved and cherished than ANYTHING Rakim has done, unfortunately. The difference between those two rappers was that they had a HUGE fall off in quality AND fan support, fans speak with their wallets and they decided they did not like them anymore. I think this holds true in any business industry.

if people didn't like Avengers, TDK/TDKR, Transformers, etc, they wouldn't make the money, do the numbers or get constant sequels like they do. SOMEBODY is supporting these movies, even if its not me, you or the Coli.

Popular opinion CAN often suck, but it is something you always have to take in consideration.

And I do disagree with you saying Titanic and Avatar aren't universally loved. I'd argue those are THE TWO most universally loved movies ever.... Avengers is 3rd :sas2:

But here's the thing I'm not arguing whether anything is well liked I'm arguing if it's good that's the difference. Vanilla Ice is not a good rapper. Ice Ice Baby being a popular and well liked song is one thing but you don't have to be a good rapper or a good singer to make a popular song. And I stand by what I say on Avatar and Titanic, just going by critic opinion and the general consensus of film fans. Although Titanic is much more loved than Avatar, I'm not arguing loved or liked I'm arguing good. Avatar isn't a good flick...it's ok, but I don't think it's a great film by any means. What is great about it is the spectacle and spectacle puts butts in seats. The one thing Avengers has over Dark Knight is spectacle but I believe from a filmmaking standpoint, Dark Knight is the superior flick.

I've never been one to really care about what's popular it's never equaled good to me. There are times when it does and a lot of times when it doesn't. I feel that the Avengers should make more money than Dark Knight because it's the more family friendly flick, it's a lot more fun, and it's easier to digest. But I just side with Dark Knight on this one because while they're both good, one appeals more to what I enjoy about film: something that entertains and challenges

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Yes we base our opinions on marketing, the trailers, the actors cast in the movie, the director, the reviews, whatever....

Batman is one of the most popular "anything" in the world. People are gonna go see it. Ticket sales aren't an indicator that everyone who paid an admission fee had a great time. It just means a lot of people saw the movie.

Well first, Batman & Robin and Batman Begins sort of argue against that. They both did significantly lesser numbers than the other movies of their kind, mainly because of how bad B&R was and BB having to hit the reset button.

But I do agree ticket sales aren't a true indicator of a great time, but keeping it real a great time is subjective too. I think EVERYONE in this thread liked TDK, but many of us liked it much more than others. You might have liked it WAY more than me, but does that mean I didn't have a great time watching it too?

When I'm talking ticket numbers, I'm talking about people who liked it enough to stay through the movie and support it. To ME, to financially support something is the TRUE standard of being a fan. Lots of people like Rakim, but how many of those people have actually bought a Rakim album? How can you claim to be a fan or like something if you aren't even willing to put your money on it? Same thing with these movies, if you are a fan of it, you are going to financially support it, because that's the only tangible way you are going to receive more OF it. Follow me?

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Not 1 and 2 they ain't.

Titanic maybe. That's obviously a classic among classics I'm pretty sure almost every person has seen.

Avatar???? I don't even think the average movie goer could name a character from it.

Dude I thought Avatar was OK, but I'd be lying to act like millions of people didn't love that damn movie. There were literally hundreds of depression cases of people that were sad they couldn't live on Pandora :heh:

We had a thread here on the Coli clowning that shyt. I can't really deny the impact that movie had, man

Daps
Reppin
NYC
When I'm talking ticket numbers, I'm talking about people who liked it enough to stay through the movie and support it. To ME, to financially support something is the TRUE standard of being a fan. Lots of people like Rakim, but how many of those people have actually bought a Rakim album? How can you claim to be a fan or like something if you aren't even willing to put your money on it? Same thing with these movies, if you are a fan of it, you are going to financially support it, because that's the only tangible way you are going to receive more OF it. Follow me?

That's bullshyt. I haven't bought a CD since like '02. That means I can't claim to be a fan?