Playstation getting even more serious about making their franchises multiplat

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is backwards as hell. Y’all just said they make their money of PSN subscriptions. These would be the games they would gain subscriptions with, but in your minds it would make more sense to put those on PC where steam would take a cut AND they don’t get the PSN subscription money. :mindblown:

Like i said y’all just thinking in stan terms. You can’t imagine a world where those few Sony staple exclusives are multiplats. Sorry, the writings on the wall at this point.
I didn't mention subscriptions.

I'm imagining a scenario where the initial purchase gets Steam a 30% cut but the in-app purchases are largely profitable to Sony because it's recurring but I assume Steam won't allow that.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I didn't mention subscriptions.

I'm imagining a scenario where the initial purchase gets Steam a 30% cut but the in-app purchases are largely profitable to Sony because it's recurring but I assume Steam won't allow that.
No steam ain’t having that.

Sony is gonna have a launcher and/or something tied to the new PS+ subscription stuff in order to avoid that cut. They might even sell their games on the microsoft store where they get a much bigger cut and can make their own money off in-app purchases :mjpls:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yes it is. They never make much money off a console sale.

When they wait a year to put the game on steam. They sell it for a lesser price lots of times with DLC included.

Being able to sell the game for $70 up front, maybe even collectors editions or season passes for 100+ would more than make up the 30% cut.

Furthermore Sony gives up the same cut or even more for physical games which still makes up the majority of their sales and will inevitably end up back on a used game shelf where sony just loses a sale.

A day one Digital sale pc is worth way more than a Day 365 pc digital sale and a physical sale

My argument comes from a space of reality.

Couple years ago y’all said sony would not put ANY of their games on PC.

We see the way the industry is moving. Everyone is embracing PC. Japan is late to the party but they are coming along too.

Ironically it’s your perceived “strength” of sony that got you in denial about where this is going.

Sony is no weaker with a big PC presence. In fact they are a lot stronger, which is why they are moving in that direction.

The only thing weaker with Sony having a PC presence is your stan arguments. :ufdup:

No storefront is. People begrudgingly use them, and all is well.
PC will never be equal to PlayStation in Sony's eyes. It shouldn't be either because they make their money off their own platform. If you buy a PlayStation and you buy the new GTA game on it and spend money playing it online that's all money in Sony's pocket. If they sell you God of War day 1 on a PC and you buy that and don't buy a PlayStation you are a less profitable customer to them.

Yet here you are using wishful thinking to hope a corporation does something that's not in their own best interest. This isn't about embracing the PC it's about having a well functional business model and executing and Sony's business model is get you to buy a PlayStation and buy as many game as possible on it.

Sony putting their sold through exclusive games on PC is smart. Putting all releases day and date on PC is stupid which is why you won't see Sony do that. They'll be strategic about day and date release games and if it's a game as a service I don't doubt they will pit it on PC day 1 but if it's a huge AAA single player game hell no. Make that customer buy a PlayStation and if they don't make them wait.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is backwards as hell. Y’all just said they make their money of PSN subscriptions. These would be the games they would gain subscriptions with, but in your minds it would make more sense to put those on PC where steam would take a cut AND they don’t get the PSN subscription money. :mindblown:

Like i said y’all just thinking in stan terms. You can’t imagine a world where those few Sony staple exclusives are multiplats. Sorry, the writings on the wall at this point.
No I said they make most of their money on things related to users using PSN. On the last earnings 31% digital game sales on PSN, 22% add on content on PSN and 12% off subscriptions off PS+ and PSNow that adds up to 65% of their revenue flowing through PSN. Those digital game sales include 1st party titles and Sony's cut of 3rd party titles sold on PSN.

Making those games multiplatform day 1 weakens that business model. The main draw of buying a PlayStation is getting access to the games Sony makes when they release. Once the exclusivity on that is stripped away there is less incentive for the buyer to purchase a PlayStation. Given the fact that Microsoft also puts their 1st party titles on PC one could get a gaming PC and get access to the best of both worlds at that point. When you consider cross platform play in the mix it really strengthens the argument to buy a PC over a console.

Loken

All Star
Daps
day one PS games on pc aint happen no time soon

Sony like putting the first games in a series on pc to try an entice you to buy the sequel on ps5 or wait how ever many years till they bring it to pc

because at the end of the day they want you buying it from them an not a middle man like steam

now who knows maybe sony might make their own launcher with PS+ i could see them cutting down the time pc gets new games to a few months maybe while places like steam wait the years as incentive to get people to buy from them :yeshrug:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
PC will never be equal to PlayStation in Sony's eyes. It shouldn't be either because they make their money off their own platform. If you buy a PlayStation and you buy the new GTA game on it and spend money playing it online that's all money in Sony's pocket. If they sell you God of War day 1 on a PC and you buy that and don't buy a PlayStation you are a less profitable customer to them.
You are wrong.

The least profitable customer for sony is a guy that’s only gonna buy A Playstation to play the couple sony exclusives. Remember the majority of sales on playstation are physical.

and this is the ONLY customer sony could comprise with day one pc games. And they’d still be getting a for sure DIGITAL sale out of this person which is worth more than a physical one on playstation.

What they would gain is MILLIONS of day one $70+ customers, that didn’t exist before.

Yet here you are using wishful thinking to hope a corporation does something that's not in their own best interest. This isn't about embracing the PC it's about having a well functional business model and executing and Sony's business model is get you to buy a PlayStation and buy as many game as possible on it.
It is in their own best interest which is why they are doing it.

Everything they’ve done over the last generation or so has pointed to sony viewing the PC space as very promising for them.

You are in a thread about them hiring for a whole PC division to do exactly what i’m talking about.

It’s not me doing the wishful thinking. It’s already in motion. It’s you stan’s doing the wishful thinking cause you might fukk around and have to throw your whole stan identity in the bushes :mjlol:

Sony putting their sold through exclusive games on PC is smart. Putting all releases day and date on PC is stupid which is why you won't see Sony do that. They'll be strategic about day and date release games and if it's a game as a service I don't doubt they will pit it on PC day 1 but if it's a huge AAA single player game hell no. Make that customer buy a PlayStation and if they don't make them wait.
This is the new “sony will never put their games on pc”

We see how that turned out for y’all :mjlol:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You are wrong.

The least profitable customer for sony is a guy that’s only gonna buy A Playstation to play the couple sony exclusives. Remember the majority of sales on playstation are physical.

and this is the ONLY customer sony could comprise with day one pc games. And they’d still be getting a for sure DIGITAL sale out of this person which is worth more than a physical one on playstation.

What they would gain is MILLIONS of day one $70+ customers, that didn’t exist before.

It is in their own best interest which is why they are doing it.

Everything they’ve done over the last generation or so has pointed to sony viewing the PC space as very promising for them.

You are in a thread about them hiring for a whole PC division to do exactly what i’m talking about.

It’s not me doing the wishful thinking. It’s already in motion. It’s you stan’s doing the wishful thinking cause you might fukk around and have to throw your whole stan identity in the bushes :mjlol:

This is the new “sony will never put their games on pc”

We see how that turned out for y’all :mjlol:
You keep saying false things. It just further goes to show you don't know what you're talking about. The prime directive of Sony is to get you into their ecosystem. They want you buying all games possible on their platform. Their entire business model flows through that.

Physical software sales account for a miniscule percent of Sony's revenue and it's shrinking fast.
129Lb1v.png

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I didn't know so many Sony accountants posted on The Coli :leon:
Sony is a publically traded company on the stock market. They put out their quarterly and yearly results for you to look over so you can invest in them. You can read their 10Qs and 10Ks to see what they're doing as a business. To anybody that takes the time to look at one of these documents it's obvious the stuff Meach is saying is ridiculous. Their entire gaming business model flows through users buying a PlayStation. The overwhelming majority of their revenue is tied up in that.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Sony is a publically traded company on the stock market. They put out their quarterly and yearly results for you to look over so you can invest in them. You can read their 10Qs and 10Ks to see what they're doing as a business. To anybody that takes the time to look at one of these documents it's obvious the stuff Meach is saying is ridiculous. Their entire gaming business model flows through users buying a PlayStation. The overwhelming majority of their revenue is tied up in that.
yall ignoring that they are making moves to do more in the PC space. that's why we have the tweet in the OP, they bought Nixxes, etc. this may not mean 'Day One' games, but they are trying to do more

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You keep saying false things. It just further goes to show you don't know what you're talking about. The prime directive of Sony is to get you into their ecosystem. They want you buying all games possible on their platform. Their entire business model flows through that.

Physical software sales account for a miniscule percent of Sony's revenue and it's shrinking fast.
129Lb1v.png
That’s for one quarter which was the best quarter ever for digital sales and which Sony didn’t even release any games. It was all online stuff which tends to sell more digital, and which all these games are also DAY one on PC, but somehow someway sony still sold lots of 3rd party games :ohhh:

In reality physical games still have a large presence on consoles.
Most console players prefer physical games over digital downloads | TechSpot

Nearly 50% of Horizon: Forbidden West sales were digital | UK Digital Charts

Even with lots of sales coming on a console that doesn’t even have a disc drive still over 50% of buyers got physical on sonys most recent AAA release.

A day one PC release of this game would have lost them a minuscule amount of money through licensing to steam, but would have gained them literally millions of customers they could not/did not reach.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
yall ignoring that they are making moves to do more in the PC space. that's why we have the tweet in the OP, they bought Nixxes, etc. this may not mean 'Day One' games, but they are trying to do more
At this point what’s “more”?

2nd party games are already day one.
Their biggest purchase to date is already confirmed to be making multiplat games.

They already have their “ecosystem” on PC through PSnow PS+ etc.

First party games are coming to PC sooner and sooner. They are even releasing them on straight streaming platforms outside of their own.

From what i can see there is no next step other than full blown embracing PC.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I think what Sony is doing is gauging how much they can squeeze out of console sales before porting over to PC. Once they feel the legs are starting to shorten on the console, then they announce a PC port.

I personally see it as this as well.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
No steam ain’t having that.

Sony is gonna have a launcher and/or something tied to the new PS+ subscription stuff in order to avoid that cut. They might even sell their games on the microsoft store where they get a much bigger cut and can make their own money off in-app purchases :mjpls:
I couldn't figure out why people kept talking about Steam... Sony IS pushing this new version of PS Plus like a motherfukker... All they have to do is copy and paste Game Pass... I'm not sure why people fighting against this. It's not going to affect a single thing. They just giving more access to more gamers which means more money