Playstation 5 Pro coming in 2024?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
But even now if you compare PS5 to what’s achievable on high end PC the difference ain’t that great, and sony ain’t making no $900 console. So again i just don’t see a relevant and affordable upgrade being viable any time soon.

Its not coming out tomorrow its coming out nearly two years from now, past mid-gen. By then the ps5 will be 400, max. They can easily launch a pro console for 600 that will give it whatever late gen boost games need.

We’re talking GTA6, Naughty Dogs next game, Wolverine, Dragon Age, Witcher 4, etc. plenty of people gonna be wanting an upgrade by then.

And we all know if sony is releasing a pro model Microsoft is releasing a pro model

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Its not coming out tomorrow its coming out nearly two years from now, past mid-gen. By then the ps5 will be 400, max. They can easily launch a pro console for 600 that will give it whatever late gen boost games need.

We’re talking GTA6, Naughty Dogs next game, Wolverine, Dragon Age, Witcher 4, etc. plenty of people gonna be wanting an upgrade by then.

And we all know if sony is releasing a pro model Microsoft is releasing a pro model
I don’t think either is releasing a pro model.

Last gen was unique in that both consoles were weak from the jump and TV technology made a huge jump during the gen.

So people who bought new TVs needed some new hardware to make their TVs worthwhile.

This gen both consoles were a lot more powerful form jump and We still on the same TVs.

Don’t see people paying an extra $200 for native 4k when nobody gives a fukk about native 4k right now.

Now if 8k TVs we’re poppin, then maybe I could see it but still then a pro model would have to cost lots of damn money to play at 8k

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don’t think either is releasing a pro model.

Last gen was unique in that both consoles were weak from the jump and TV technology made a huge jump during the gen.

So people who bought new TVs needed some new hardware to make their TVs worthwhile.

This gen both consoles were a lot more powerful form jump and We still on the same TVs.

Don’t see people paying an extra $200 for native 4k when nobody gives a fukk about native 4k right now.

Now if 8k TVs we’re poppin, then maybe I could see it but still then a pro model would have to cost lots of damn money to play at 8k

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I'm going to flat out say that I don't think they will release a PS5 Pro and selfishly, I don't want them to release one.

From a business standpoint, Andrew House (the former PS head) said that PS4 Pro was to combat console gamers moving to PC halfway through the generation. Since then, they appear to have committed to releasing games on the PC, so that aspect is already addressed. Releasing new hardware costs money, it doesn't make money.

From a technical/pricing standpoint, I don't think they can release a console in late 2024 that is equivalent to what the PS4 Pro was to the PS4(2X the GPU, 2X the storage) unless they increase the already expensive console price by at least ~$100.

Sony hasn't even dropped the PS4 platform yet. Cross-gen everywhere. Most games, whether 1st or 3rd party, have been developed with last gen in mind and have been incapable of taking advantage of the PS5. It feels like when they drop the old consoles, the PS5 Pro will be the focus and the regular PS5 will be Series S status.

"We finally dropped the PS4 versions, by the way, here the new Wolverine game a PS5 exclusive, best played on the PS5 Pro." That would be a slap in the face to regular PS5 owners.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm going to flat out say that I don't think they will release a PS5 Pro and selfishly, I don't want them to release one.

From a business standpoint, Andrew House (the former PS head) said that PS4 Pro was to combat console gamers moving to PC halfway through the generation. Since then, they appear to have committed to releasing games on the PC, so that aspect is already addressed. Releasing new hardware costs money, it doesn't make money.

From a technical/pricing standpoint, I don't think they can release a console in late 2024 that is equivalent to what the PS4 Pro was to the PS4(2X the GPU, 2X the storage) unless they increase the already expensive console price by at least ~$100.

Selfishly, Sony hasn't even dropped the PS4 platform yet. Cross-gen everywhere. Most games, whether 1st or 3rd party, have been developed with last gen in mind and have been incapable of taking advantage of the PS5. It feels like when they drop the old consoles, the PS5 Pro will be the focus and the regular PS5 will be Series S status.

"We finally dropped the PS4 versions, by the way, here the new Wolverine game a PS5 exclusive, best played on the PS5 Pro." That would be a slap in the face to regular PS5 owners.

It wouldn’t really make a difference, you are gonna get the same wolverine we would get without a pro. If you’re someone that values increased framerate and other little bells and whistle you’ll pay the 150-200 to upgrade. Its just sounds like sour grapes to say “i dont want to pay more money for a higher end playstation so they shouldn’t make one”.

I dont see whats so contentious about the idea of a premium console, that gives you more performance options.

If it were up to me they would make a playstation pro-pro and it would cost 800 dollars, just like how those steam machines were :manny:

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It wouldn’t really make a difference, you are gonna get the same wolverine we would get without a pro. If you’re someone that values increased framerate and other little bells and whistle you’ll pay the 150-200 to upgrade. Its just sounds like sour grapes to say “i dont want to pay more money for a higher end playstation so they shouldn’t make one”.

I dont see whats so contentious about the idea of a premium console, that gives you more performance options.
Resources are limited.

While I will admit that 1st party games will be ok, what about the mountain of 3rd party games that come out. Those devs won't have the resources to release the best games possible on 2 systems in the same family, they'll split the difference. It happens all of the time with Xbox Series X|S.

Also, selfishly speaking it's annoying. People have been waiting to get next-gen exclusive titles. As I mentioned above, by the time they start releasing PS5 exclusives, PS5 Pro will be the focus. To me, there haven't been enough PS5 (or next gen) exclusives to justify its purchase.

Whatever engineering effort goes into making prettier graphics, they should put them into making better games (better A.I., better physic systems, gameplay mechanics etc). We live in a world of compromises and they can't do both.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
While I will admit that 1st party games will be ok, what about the mountain of 3rd party games that come out. Those devs won't have the resources to release the best games possible on 2 systems in the same family, they'll split the difference

They will do it anyway releasing pc versions the pro would be closing the gap between a high end pc port and the ps5 version. The problem with the series s/x is that the S is the baseline.

And I don’t really think its either or, did they sacrifice gameplay, AI, Mechanics, etc. when making TLOU Part 2, Tsushima, Death Stranding, God of War, Spider-Man, etc? Those all released after the pro console. The games didn’t suffer and the OG PS4 didn’t suffer.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
While I will admit that 1st party games will be ok...

...TLOU Part 2, Tsushima, Death Stranding, God of War, Spider-Man...

:comeon:

As a gamer, I'm tired of the focus on more expensive hardware for marginally (in the grand scheme of things) prettier graphics, I would like to see a focus on new ideas and better gameplay...or at least tech that facilitates better gameplay. I don't think they can do both.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:comeon:

As a gamer, I'm tired of the focus on more expensive hardware for marginally (in the grand scheme of things) prettier graphics, I would like to see a focus on new ideas and better gameplay...or at least tech that facilitates better gameplay. I don't think they can do both.

Do less prettier games tend to have better gameplay?

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Do less prettier games tend to have better gameplay?

Elden Ring vs Forbidden West....Botw vs Zero Dawn

When games focus on gameplay and not pushing the latest tech just because it exists, they are better for it.

Having said that, I understand where you are coming from, I just disagree.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Elden Ring vs Forbidden West....Botw vs Zero Dawn

TLOUP2 vs No More Heroes 3….Ghost of Tsushima vs Dynasty Warriors 9:skip:

And horizon is fun as hell. The argument doesn’t hold water, Sony’s games typically have above average gameplay . Theres also a ton of ugly nintendo games that play bad also, like pokemon arceus:skip:

I would love to see the ven diagram on the trade off between graphics and fun factor