Playstation 5 Pro coming in 2024?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah, the ray tracing is a stretch. But 4k60 with ray tracing might be feasible.

But it has to be 4k-120fps or at least 4k-unlocked minimum
Just like with last gen I wouldn’t expect a pro version to increase framerate much outside of making it a bit more stable. They can’t change the CPU too much without devs needing to go back and re-optimize the games.

So then you are just looking at Native 4k vs Upscaled 4k.

I don’t see very many people thinking that upgrade is worth it unless it’s just kinda like a slim version with some small performance gains.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yep, and like i said before, people are demanding better graphics, more dynamic AI, bigger maps, animations, etc. once developers really start pushing these current gen consoles the 60fps options are going to die

I await the outrage later this year when Spider-Man 2 and Starfield launch with no 60fps or ray tracing
PS4pro didn’t turn 30fps games into 60fps games.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I really wish they couldve done some shyt where its like an external GPU that you plug in but I'm not mad at a new console

I just hope its not coming this soon

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
PS4pro didn’t turn 30fps games into 60fps games.

The PS4 focused solely on resolution, a pro console this generation would have different priorities

Again i dont understand why this would be more contentious then how people upgrade their GPU every few years. The people that want the bump will pay the extra money, the people that are content can carry on the way they have been.

Its like only in the console space do people think its unfair that other people can upgrade to better performing hardware

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Again i dont understand why this would be more contentious then how people upgrade their GPU every few years. The people that want the bump will pay the extra money, the people that are content can carry on the way they have been.

Its like only in the console space do people think its unfair that other people can upgrade to better performing hardware
This isn’t just upgrading a GPU.

Consoles need to make sense from a budget point of view. There’s no $600 console that could/would upgrade the experience like you are hoping it would.

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
4k 120hz with ray tracing is the goal.

I can't go back to playing 30 fps unless i have to having the OLED. That unlocked framerate to have higher FPS is hard to not have. Problem is they lower the resolution to hit those. So if you can get those unlocked rates higher than 60fps at 4K with even a bit of ray tracing, people will pay for it.

Do most need to? Absolutely not.
Short of Sony throwing AMD in the bushes for NVIDIA, that's not gonna happen for the forseeable future. And even then, people aren't ready to see the prices that will come out of that :dead:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
The PS4 focused solely on resolution, a pro console this generation would have different priorities

it creates more work in the console space because the games were optimized for one particular hardware config. now the burden is on devs to go back and create new settings for their old games to take advantage of the new hardware

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
it creates more work in the console space because the games were optimized for one particular hardware config. now the burden is on devs to go back and create new settings for their old games to take advantage of the new hardware

so the scalability argument has always been caca is what you’re saying?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
so the scalability argument has always been caca is what you’re saying?
no. you're comparing it to PC, where games are designed with settings to scale. when new GPU's come out, dev's don't have to do anything to their old games to make them compatible with the new hardware (within reason)

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This isn’t just upgrading a GPU.

Consoles need to make sense from a budget point of view. There’s no $600 console that could/would upgrade the experience like you are hoping it would.

If they kill the drive and have 4k60 (no upscaling or checkerboarding and shyt) and 4kUnlocked standard, that's a win.

Raytracing at 4k60 for under 600 ain't happening.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Short of Sony throwing AMD in the bushes for NVIDIA, that's not gonna happen for the forseeable future. And even then, people aren't ready to see the prices that will come out of that :dead:

:laff: you right

But is 4k60 with raytracing potentially possible (probably not FULL Ray tracing elements but most/some)?

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:laff: you right

But is 4k60 with raytracing potentially possible (probably not FULL Ray tracing elements but most/some)?
4k/60fps is but even then I don’t think people are ready to see the graphic compromises that will come into play nor the price. I can do 4k/60 on my 3090 but that includes DLSS and specific hardware for ray-tracing to make that happen and AMD is not on the level of NVIDIA when it comes to ray-tracing tech.

Unless Sony can create something to compete with DLSS (checkerboard rendering is not gonna cut it), 4K/60fps with RT is gonna be heavily compromised and minimal compared to PC offerings. At that point, I’d rather go without it because it’s not worth a performance hit.

What Insomnia is doing with R&C & Spider-man is probably the ceiling for RT and as you can see, you’re gonna need a competent developer to make that work